A rarity and a beauty. Made in China for just a few years for the Japanese market, Ibanez went above and beyond with this guitar.

Ibanez SJ500-VLS-20211127_140442-jpg

Tons of pics on my Google Drive: Update your browser to use Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Sites, Slides, and Forms - Google Drive Help

It's just a hair smaller than an L5 at 16.5" at the lower bout and sports a solid spruce top. The back and sides are flamed maple (the back, looking at the inside flame seems to imply it's solid, but I cannot confirm that). It's a 5piece maple neck with a bound ebony fretboard (which is quite splendid). The original tailpiece broke so I replaced it with an OEM Ibanez George Benson tailpiece that was a perfect fit. I also replaced the ebony knobs with the classic Ibanez Prestige knobs.

The whole guitar is multi-bound in flamed maple and the ebony knobs, tuners, bridge(s) and pickguard are a perfect match. However, she isn't just nice to look at. This is the jazzbox I always grabbed for shedding jazz tunes with friends and has both the tone and the feel. When not playing I would consider upgrading the Super 58 pups, but once I was playing, those thoughts faded away.

She has some love marks from being a player. She is not a closet queen but is still a beautiful and more than presentable instrument; I have taken pics of every nick, scratch, and ding so you'll know exactly what you're getting.

The flame on the back of this particular SJ is pretty special, and the playability is excellent. I am currently using the tun-o-matic bridge but the original (and unused) ebony and rosewood bridges are included as is the original pickguard, ebony knobs, tools, and a couple of extra pickup surrounds in case you don't like the original ebony ones. I am also including two vintage Russian PIO caps (K40Y-9 .033) which I planned on getting installed but never got around to it. Original case in functional but not super model condition included.

Here are some specs that I got online:

Features:
Neck type: 5pc Maple/Walnut set-in neck
Body: Solid Spruce top/Solid Flamed Maple back/Flamed maple sides full-hollow body
Fret: Medium frets
Bridge: ART-W bridge
Tailpiece: VT04 w/Wooden Cover tailpiece
Neck pu: Super 58 Custom (H) neck pu
Bridge pu: Super 58 Custom (H) bridge pu
Body max width: 419mm
Hardware color: Gold

Neck Dimension:
Scale: 628mm/24.75"
Width at Nut: 43mm
Width at Last Fret: 57mm
Thickness at 1st: 20mm