Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    I saw these two beautiful instruments at Lavonne Music last Monday.Both are spectacularly figured and Sunburst. Not sure of the exact prices but not cheap!
    Talk with Peter Wagonner if you are interested!

    Savage, Mn. (952) 890-7288

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Crazy that he doesn’t have a search feature on his website. He wants you to manually search 26 pages of used guitars to find what you want.

  4. #3
    Not even sure he’s listed them yet? Give him a call, he’s pretty Old School like me Lol!

  5. #4
    The LeGrande is a Jim Hutchins build and sounds spectacular!

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    I have a Gibson legrand I got about 18 months ago from 2003 and it is one great sounding guitar. It has a very smooth even tone up and down the neck. Supposed to be modeled after a Johnny Smith but with 25.5 scale and 11 11/6 neck. This was a Hutch and the neck is a bit beefier than my L5 but no a lot and reminds me in feel of a 1 3/4 nut. I have owned 2 Gibson JS in the past and this Legrand is clearly above them at all points. I think of the Legrand and the poor man's citation.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I have a Gibson legrand I got about 18 months ago from 2003 and it is one great sounding guitar. It has a very smooth even tone up and down the neck. Supposed to be modeled after a Johnny Smith but with 25.5 scale and 11 11/6 neck. This was a Hutch and the neck is a bit beefier than my L5 but no a lot and reminds me in feel of a 1 3/4 nut. I have owned 2 Gibson JS in the past and this Legrand is clearly above them at all points. I think of the Legrand and the poor man's citation.
    Well it's lighter and a bit brighter sounding than the Citation. And you'll play it more. And you don't have to fret over where you will/won't place the strap button, or use a classical foot stool instead.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Well it's lighter and a bit brighter sounding than the Citation. And you'll play it more. And you don't have to fret over where you will/won't place the strap button, or use a classical foot stool instead.
    Ha! My Super 400 came to me with a strap button, I put strap buttons on the two ES-175's that I bought brand new (I have another that came to me with a strap button, but all four of my D'Angelicos (three made by John D'Angelico himself and the fourth is a Heritage built replica) and my two L-5's did not come to me with a strap button. I use a classical foot stool with those six guitars as well as my two Gypsy guitars. I just cannot bring myself to put strap buttons in those, though I probably should.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Well I was referring to the “back through neck heel” design of the Citation. Other guitars have binding material on the neck heel so a good tech can install that sucker in 10 seconds. On a Citation you could drill it into the neck on the bottom side (bottom when holding the guitar, left side when viewing the guitar from the back)or so I’m told.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Ha! ".....I just cannot bring myself to put strap buttons in those, though I probably should.
    I feel your pain! I have guitars with, and without. I prefer buttons. I use to think, well, Wes did okay without. So, I let it go. Still, I like the buttons. But I've never drilled a hole in a guitar that didn't come that way. And It didn't stop me from buying them.

    Cheers

  11. #10
    Both of these guitars seem to have the regular profile which I’d refer to as tapered C Shape, say around .840” to .970” and regular 1&11/16” nut widths. For me they seem a bit thin, but I love really Beefy 50’s Gibson style necks in general.

    They both are incredibly beautiful!

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Both of these guitars seem to have the regular profile which I’d refer to as tapered C Shape, say around .840” to .970” and regular 1&11/16” nut widths. For me they seem a bit thin, but I love really Beefy 50’s Gibson style necks in general.

    They both are incredibly beautiful!
    if you don’t mind my asking, how is that neck measurement taken?

  13. #12
    I’m somewhat fanatical about neck sizes being left handed. And I know this sounds like bragging but I seem to be able to judge fairly accurately by feel. And every time I actually use digital calipers to check, I’m usually within .05” or .10” The hard part to describe is actual shoulder feel as it can vary with tapered necks.

    If you are interested call Peter Wagonner at Lavonne Music Savage, Mn. 952,890-7288 and I’m sure he could measure them for you.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    I probably can’t measure to the thousands of an inch but am just asking what is being measured? From where to where?

  15. #14
    Depth of 1st and 12th frets in inches from top of fingerboard to back of middle of the neck.
    As well as overall taper and shape of carve C, D, U,

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Here we go: $18.5k US for the Citation.

    Used Gibson Citation | LaVonne Music

    The LeGrand is listed at $10k although I don't find a specific page for it yet.

  17. #16
    Thanks for the links Yes they aren’t cheap!