Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I'm finally getting around to selling this guitar. This was a guitar I built just to test falcate bracing in an archtop. The label says 2016 but I didn't actually finish it until 2019 and it's been sitting in it's case for most of that time. I'm asking $4,300 plus shipping. If there's a dimension you'd like to know that I haven't listed just let me know and I'll get it for you. Thanks. Here's a video sound sample of it

Specs:
    17" lower bout, 3" side depth, 25" scale length, 1 3/4" nut width, European maple back and sides, European spruce top, domestic hard maple (Eastern) neck, ebony finger board with stainless frets, double-action truss rod, ebony bridge/ saddle, nitrocellulose lacquer finish, hand-wound Kent Armstrong single coil with volume control
    Attached Images Attached Images Combs falcate-braced Premier prototype-falcate-premier-front-jpg Combs falcate-braced Premier prototype-img_2983-jpg Combs falcate-braced Premier prototype-falcate-top-grain-jpg Combs falcate-braced Premier prototype-falcate-premier-headstock-jpg Combs falcate-braced Premier prototype-falcate-top-case-jpg Combs falcate-braced Premier prototype-falcate-neck-case-jpg Combs falcate-braced Premier prototype-falcate-back-case-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello,

Sent you a message on your website.

Daniel

User Info Menu

Beautiful!!

User Info Menu

Gorgeous guitar, your finishing work looks superb. Would love to see a picture of the bracing, seems like it might be difficult/complicated on an archtop.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 11-01-2021 at 03:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks. The bracing was quite a pain but it was also the first time I ever attempted it. It would be easier now that I have some experience with it. The brace laminations had to be bent on an iron then glued on a form in my vacuum bag. Fitting them to the top was by far the most tedious part but in all honesty it didn’t really take that much longer than standard braces.
    Combs falcate-braced Premier prototype-img_7117-jpgCombs falcate-braced Premier prototype-img_7085-jpg

User Info Menu

Gorgeous lacquer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Gorgeous lacquer.
    Whatever you call that color, it's fabulous.

User Info Menu

As others have said, that is a beautiful instrument! GLWTS

User Info Menu

Jason, Nice guitar! I believe Rootbeer would be a nice name for that finish. I think this may be a changer for you. The bracing sounds perfect. Unbelievable sustain and warmth. I've always liked your work. You just get better and better!

User Info Menu

Thanks everybody. I stained the wood directly on this guitar as opposed to shooting tinted clears. It gave a vaguely violin look to it plus it helped keep the final film thickness that much thinner. Another little detail is that I made a DeArmond style knob for it. I tried to match the color of the pickguard so it would kind of disappear into the pickguard.

Combs falcate-braced Premier prototype-premier-falcate-pickguard-jpg

User Info Menu

Really beautiful instrument.

User Info Menu

+1, quite striking with the combination of the woods used, the construction and the finish. The guitar sounds nice in your simple video, and I’m interested in your description of the result of the falcate bracing, as I regularly play classical pieces on my archtops.

If I were not on the other side of the Atlantic, I would have already sent a PM inquiring about purchasing the guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy
    Jason, Nice guitar! I believe Rootbeer would be a nice name for that finish.
    Golden copper?
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 11-03-2021 at 12:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cmajor9
    +1, quite striking with the combination of the woods used, the construction and the finish. The guitar sounds nice in your simple video, and I’m interested in your description of the result of the falcate bracing, as I regularly play classical pieces on my archtops.

If I were not on the other side of the Atlantic, I would have already sent a PM inquiring about purchasing the guitar.
    Thanks. I think the things that remind me of lattice braced/ double-top classical guitars is the immediacy of the note and the sustain. It makes me think of the fast attack of something like a Dammann or Smallman. Which reminds me that I've wanted to build a Friederich style classical for more than ten years!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    beautiful!!
    +1

aka

User Info Menu

This one deserves a bump

User Info Menu

Thanks Jim. This guitar has been sold and I forgot to update the listing. Thank you all for the kind words though I really appreciate it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasonc
    Thanks Jim. This guitar has been sold and I forgot to update the listing. Thank you all for the kind words though I really appreciate it.
    Dang for me, happy for you!