Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

2005 Guild Benedetto Johnny Smith Award | Used Electric Guitars | Wildwood Guitars

Very beautiful guitar. I have been feeling tempted to snag it!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’ve owned this guitar. Some make a big deal about it’s 25 9/16” scale length but I had zero difficulty with it. I believe even Jabberwocky here eventually bought one, after being somewhat critical.

The biggest problem I found with the guitar is the lacquer is fairly heavy. Otherwise it’s a fine archtop that looks fabulous!

BigMike owns one that was refinished and left in natural wood that’s as gorgeous as any guitar anywhere!

It is a stunning archtop. These Benedetto Johnny Smith guitars seem rare too. If I wasn't on the wait list for a Campellone build, I'd strongly consider this Guild.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dan__Man
    It is a stunning archtop. These Benedetto Johnny Smith guitars seem rare too. If I wasn't on the wait list for a Campellone build, I'd strongly consider this Guild.
    It’s priced right. I sold mine for $6500 in 2014. Although it was signed by JS.

User Info Menu

I had two of the Guild Benedetto Artists awards made in Westerly RI. They had a much better finish (much thinner) than the Corona built models built later on. When Johnny Smith endorsed the guitar, he required that the neck have full contact with the top, but otherwise it is the same as the guitar that I had.

The scale length is actually 25 5/8 on these guitars, which does make the action a bit stiffer. The neck carve is a full D profile. I tried twice to bond with this model, but each time the neck and action were not to my liking and I moved them on. I lost about $400 on the first but made that back on the second one, so all in all, I got to demo both guitars for a couple of years for free. Not bad.

This is priced right, but be forewarned about the neck and scale length.

User Info Menu

Interesting that Patrick, Wildwood guitar, and a former Reverb listing list the scale length as 25 9/16”. Mine was 25 9/16” as well. Could it be the Westerly GB model was different from the later Corona models?

Benedetto Artist Award - differences between Corona and Westerly

Guild Benedetto Johnny Smith Award Archtop | The Savannah | Reverb

User Info Menu

If this guitar was in the UK, I'd buy it and put it next to my original 61 GJSA

That would be fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Interesting that Patrick, Wildwood guitar, and a former Reverb listing list the scale length as 25 9/16”. Mine was 25 9/16” as well. Could it be the Westerly GB model was different from the later Corona models?

Benedetto Artist Award - differences between Corona and Westerly

Guild Benedetto Johnny Smith Award Archtop | The Savannah | Reverb
    I have never had a Corona example so I cannot say. I had a 1971 Artist award that had a 25 1/2 scale, so there is a great deal of variation over the years, but 25 5/8 was the standard scale for Guild for many years and still is.

D-55 Dreadnought Acoustic | Guild Guitars

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I have never had a Corona example so I cannot say. I had a 1971 Artist award that had a 25 1/2 scale, so there is a great deal of variation over the years, but 25 5/8 was the standard scale for Guild for many years and still is.

D-55 Dreadnought Acoustic | Guild Guitars
    Im proper confused now.

If I buy this guitar, what scale length will it have, where will it have been made and how much lacquer is on it

lol

User Info Menu

That guitar looks fantastic!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    Im proper confused now.

If I buy this guitar, what scale length will it have, where will it have been made and how much lacquer is on it

lol
    It will be a Corona made guitar with a heavy finish and a scale that is somewhat longer than 25 1/2.

User Info Menu

I had an early Westerly version and the finish was not nearly as heavy as the Corona ones. Also, I like long scale instruments but could feel the added tension under finger. They are beautifully crafted with top notch woods. If they were available with 25" scale and 1 3/4" nut they would've been a whopping success. I always figured they had to do something to set them apart from the Benedetto line. Too bad it was that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    If this guitar was in the UK, I'd buy it and put it next to my original 61 GJSA
    That would be a cool comparison! Does your Guild JSA have parallel or X-bracing?

User Info Menu

picture link not working for me...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    picture link not working for me...
    I think it sold Jack; it's no longer on their site.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    I think it sold Jack; it's no longer on their site.
    ok, thanks!