Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

This one's from the Jim Hutchins era. Showing signs of play wear on the back of the neck, plating, incidental finish nicks, etc, I assume it was someone's main squeeze - played in, but not abused. There are no cracks or repairs anywhere. Recently refretted with .110X.050 wire. Action is low and fast, no fingerboard hump where neck meets body. It's completely dialed in with a fresh set of D’Addario Chrome .012-.052 flats. Currently sporting an ebony saddle (original gold ABR1 included), and replacement pick guard (original faded guard included). 1 11/16" nut, depth - .78 at 1st, .96 at 10th. Original case gave up the ghost long ago, Ships in a Guild hsc. Looking to net $7000, includes shipping to conus. Always happy to answer questions, and provide specific pics.

Link to Reverb listing/more pics.
    Gibson L-5 CES 1997 Sunburst | Aaron's Gear Bazaar | Reverb
    Last edited by telephone; 11-11-2021 at 11:52 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Partial trades (330,335,125,175,etc) considered.

Price drop bump. $6995 net, includes shipping to conus.

User Info Menu

Aaron: You might want to edit your ad:
    Attached Images Attached Images 1997 Gibson L-5CES-one-thing-not-like-others-jpg 

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Aaron: You might want to edit your ad:
    Yes, that is most definitely not my guitar. I received a couple of questions asking if the headstock had been repaired. It hasn't. Never been broken either.

I used that pic, as well as the pic preceding it (not mine either, see below) to demonstrate how the lacquer sinks into the glue line of the rear headstock veneer. Seems a common occurrence from this era.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by telephone
    Yes, that is most definitely not my guitar. I received a couple of questions asking if the headstock had been repaired. It hasn't. Never been broken either.

I used that pic, as well as the pic preceding it (not mine either, see below) to demonstrate how the lacquer sinks into the glue line of the rear headstock veneer. Seems a common occurrence from this era.
    My 2003 L-5 CES has that same issue

User Info Menu

My 2008 L5 you can see the veneer line also. I’ve seen some L5’s where that veneer line will lacquer check also.
    Does not mean headstock trauma. 2 different materials glued together expand and contract differently.

Thanks for weighing in, Stringswinger and vinnyv1k.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by telephone
    Thanks for weighing in, Stringswinger and vinnyv1k.
    Duh ... I read the rest of the ad. Yes, examples of how the veneer line does not match up with the stinger. Carry on...

That so purdy... I had exact same guitar only mine was '99. Don't remember any separation on back of the headstock, but the finish started flaking on the lower bout beside strap button. A friend who had dealt with many L5s said he had seen the flaking in same location on others.

Could you please direct me to your listing if its posted somewhere other than reverb? Or is there a way of contacting members privately here? I'm new to this forum.. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Rancher View Post
    That so purdy... I had exact same guitar only mine was '99. Don't remember any separation on back of the headstock, but the finish started flaking on the lower bout beside strap button. A friend who had dealt with many L5s said he had seen the flaking in same location on others.

Could you please direct me to your listing if its posted somewhere other than reverb? Or is there a way of contacting members privately here? I'm new to this forum.. Thanks!!
    Welcome, and here you go. It’s pretty much the same listing you see here. FS - 1997 Gibson L5CES | The Gear Page

For clarity’s sake, there’s no separation happening back there, just sinking of the lacquer.
    Last edited by telephone; 11-08-2021 at 09:20 AM.

Sold