User Info Menu

Hey all
    Ran across this on eBay. It’s being sold by Adorama a huge
    NYC camera/electronics store.

Ibanez Artcore Series AF55 Hollow-Body Electric Guitar - Tobacco Flat SKU1389430

No affiliations here, but 299, cool!
    Why they think they can sell guitars, I dunno. But they do)

jk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My personal experience, Ibanez low priced guitars, even they cheap, still do not worth the money. I had an AS 55 bought brand new appox $300 I can not describe how crap was it, everything was wrong in it. Not because QC. The sound was like a cigar box gitar, all the six machine heads were equally useless, I never experienced such a crap, and also the usual fret rawness and electronics problems, It was designed and manufactured intentionally to be a crap. Even my $100 Harley Benton is a quality masterpiece compared to that. I had an Ibanez AM 93 which was a decent guitar (discontinued), but that also was not worth the money ($700). I sold both.

I have no doubt the way higher priced Ibanez models like GB or PM represent higher quality, but what Ibanez does in Artcore is pretty unaccptable in terms of price/quality ratio

User Info Menu

Under the condition description, it says this price is an "open box" item. Their regular price is $329, like the other music sites. That Adorama is selling MI is not as weird as it might seem. There has been a long line of shops in NYC that started out as camera/photography dealers and branched out into electronics, pro-audio, IT, and even musical instruments, e.g., 47th Street Photo, J&R, B&H, plus a whole bunch of more anonymous places in and around Herald Square (the old photo district), remnants of the old WTC-area "radio" district, and the diamond district. [Yeah, I guess I really am getting old ...]

Adorama's physical store is not that big (smaller than B&H or J&R at its peak), but they do have an actual (tiny) musical instrument store-within-a-store tucked into a corner. IIRC, they only stock Fender guitars there, and I think the bulk of their MI business is dropshipping, same as GC, Sweetwater, Sam Ash, etc. They can do that as well as anyone. As an actual retail store, they seem pretty good. People are helpful and will look for stuff for you, and their pricing is fair. If I were looking for a commodity-level instrument online I think they'd be fine.

User Info Menu

Can’t speak to the guitar but I have bought guitars from Adorama in the past without problems. They can have great deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    My personal experience, Ibanez low priced guitars, even they cheap, still do not worth the money. I had an AS 55 bought brand new appox $300 I can not describe how crap was it, everything was wrong in it. Not because QC. The sound was like a cigar box gitar, all the six machine heads were equally useless, I never experienced such a crap, and also the usual fret rawness and electronics problems, It was designed and manufactured intentionally to be a crap. Even my $100 Harley Benton is a quality masterpiece compared to that. I had an Ibanez AM 93 which was a decent guitar (discontinued), but that also was not worth the money ($700). I sold both.

I have no doubt the way higher priced Ibanez models like GB or PM represent higher quality, but what Ibanez does in Artcore is pretty unaccptable in terms of price/quality ratio
    Sorry for your bad experiences but mine have been just the opposite. I have owned two Ibanez Semi or Full Hollowbody guitars, an AG-86 and an AF-75. Both were budget guitars but looked and sounded beautiful to me. I regretfully traded the AG-86 for another instrument and wish I still had it. The AF-75 is red burst and gives me much joy...No, they are not "high end" guitars but the Ibanez line generally gets more favorable reviews than not. These guys suit my budget and playing levels just fine. My two cents...cheers

Edit: I have purchased a number of items from Adorama with no issues. No instruments but a couple of telescopes and related equipment...