Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Given the popularity of Trenier guitars, I thought someone here would be interested in this instrument.

    2006 Trenier Special

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    And the new $5600 price on the Campellone Special!

    2006 Campellone Special

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    And the new $5600 price on the Campellone Special!

    2006 Campellone Special
    I really liked this one the first time it was for sale with Joe. Not sure why it is back with him for sale again a couple months later. I asked Joe why this was for sale again so soon but got no reply. It is soooo beautiful. It just begs the question, right?

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    That sold quick. Anyone remember the asking price on the Trenier?

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by HeyNow
    That sold quick. Anyone remember the asking price on the Trenier?
    I believe it was listed on Reverb for $6995.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by JSanta
    I believe it was listed on Reverb for $6995.
    yep, I believe Joe had it for $6495.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    I don't know the dealer Joe at archtop.com but at some points his guitars are fairly priced considering the garbage prices at reverb. I do think he is more in the ballpark for realistic prices of dealers. My very few emails and such have been so-so and if buying from him I would exercise caution. My assumption is he has been around a long time so has to be doing something correct, yet I have heard legitimate stories that are less that good. To be fair some folks buying guitars can be so nit-picky that I simply refuse to do any real business with them. One buying any guitar with age on it of 15 or more years should realize that it will not look like the day it came out of the factory or shop if it has been played much at all.

    I thought the Trenier was priced nicely but again for a guitar like that I would have to play it in person. He had a couple of acoustic L5's that caught my attention and they both sold. Not every sure the final selling price by my guess is they were not too far off. The Campellone for $5600 in my opinion was priced to sell no question. That guitar will exceed and L5 every time but again, those Gibson's will sell while others sit longer. It would be interesting to meet this Joe a archtop.com I wonder if anyone here has?

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    I’ve met Joe. He’s a personable guy who seems to know his stuff. He also knows how to “sell” a guitar, something I would expect from a guy who makes his living doing just that. I feel pretty ok about the two guitars I bought from him over the years. I didn’t pay rock bottom, nor did I pay top dollar.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I don't know the dealer Joe at archtop.com but at some points his guitars are fairly priced considering the garbage prices at reverb. I do think he is more in the ballpark for realistic prices of dealers. My very few emails and such have been so-so and if buying from him I would exercise caution. My assumption is he has been around a long time so has to be doing something correct, yet I have heard legitimate stories that are less that good. To be fair some folks buying guitars can be so nit-picky that I simply refuse to do any real business with them. One buying any guitar with age on it of 15 or more years should realize that it will not look like the day it came out of the factory or shop if it has been played much at all.

    I thought the Trenier was priced nicely but again for a guitar like that I would have to play it in person. He had a couple of acoustic L5's that caught my attention and they both sold. Not every sure the final selling price by my guess is they were not too far off. The Campellone for $5600 in my opinion was priced to sell no question. That guitar will exceed and L5 every time but again, those Gibson's will sell while others sit longer. It would be interesting to meet this Joe a archtop.com I wonder if anyone here has?
    Being local, I’ve met Joe. I didn’t make a purchase because his guitars were at dealer markup. I knew a luthier who worked for Joe exclusively doing refinish work. There was strong pressure from Joe to refinish a certain D’Aquisto. The guitar had the dreaded binding glue rot. The luthier had to redo all of the binding, even the layers of binding around the headstock, which was no small task. The guitar was immaculately refinished. Having seen the guitars condition prior to being refinished I was floored by the later refinish the luthier completed. Apparently there was some dispute between the luthier and Joe over the final compensation. As a result the luthier stopped working with Joe.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Being local, I’ve met Joe. I didn’t make a purchase because his guitars were at dealer markup. I knew a luthier who worked for Joe exclusively doing refinish work. There was strong pressure from Joe to refinish a certain D’Aquisto. The guitar had the dreaded binding glue rot. The luthier had to redo all of the binding, even the layers of binding around the headstock, which was no small task. The guitar was immaculately refinished. Having seen the guitars condition prior to being refinished I was floored by the later refinish the luthier completed. Apparently there was some dispute between the luthier and Joe over the final compensation. As a result the luthier stopped working with Joe.
    Repairing binding and refinishing on a guitar like that is by far the most difficult work a luthier can do. It has to be done with the mind set of major surgery and more like brain surgery. There is no amount of emphasis I can make to overstate this task. The easiest way to to completely rebind and refinish. To save the original finish and rebind is almost impossible for most. Cris Mirabella is the master at this an a few others can do it. To rebind and refinish a D'aquisto we are talking about $5-$8k in money. I wonder who does it repair and set up work. Based on his advertising one would get the feeling his guitars he sells are perfectly set up ( and they could be or should) I just dont know.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    I’ve had no problems with Joe. I’ve bought 2 guitars from him.

    my only nit picks would be 1) he’s not the friendliest communicator (no negotiation, very curt with messages) and 2) the packing material in one of my (expensive) guitars was amateur hour (small used cardboard boxes, rolled up newspapers).

    Neither description nor setup was a problem.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    I have never bought a guitar from, nor sold a guitar through Joe V., but I have several friends who have done both. Reviews are mixed, but nobody that I know ever got totally screwed on a deal. Underdisclosures on a purchase, extended time to get payment and costs of sale that were not agreed to are the complaints that I have heard, but I have also heard positive things. I have spoken to Joe V. a couple of times by telephone myself and have found him to be quite helpful and knowledgeable. Being a dealer of used stuff is a tricky business and he has done pretty well. If he had a guitar that I wanted, I would be careful in checking it out beforehand (lots of pictures and a telephone conference with a lot of questions would be prudent). He gets some very desirable guitars from time to time.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Repairing binding and refinishing on a guitar like that is by far the most difficult work a luthier can do. It has to be done with the mind set of major surgery and more like brain surgery. There is no amount of emphasis I can make to overstate this task. The easiest way to to completely rebind and refinish. To save the original finish and rebind is almost impossible for most. Cris Mirabella is the master at this an a few others can do it. To rebind and refinish a D'aquisto we are talking about $5-$8k in money. I wonder who does it repair and set up work. Based on his advertising one would get the feeling his guitars he sells are perfectly set up ( and they could be or should) I just dont know.
    You’re darned right, rebinding a D’Aquisto is a HUGE task. Every layer of binding has to be perfect, and the headstock, forget about it. Joe advanced him $2500 and because there was a long delay finishing the job Joe refused to pay the final balance. That’s lame. I’d have sued him.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    2B, I think that guitar went for about 25k? And, I remember my heart rate always went up when I was around that guitar, on the luthier's workbench. I was afraid that I was going to drool on it!

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    2B, I think that guitar went for about 25k? And, I remember my heart rate always went up when I was around that guitar, on the luthier's workbench. I was afraid that I was going to drool on it!
    Would that have been a fella named Lemuel?

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by telephone
    Would that have been a fella named Lemuel?
    Yep.

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Joe's been good to me. I bought 2 from him in the last 5 years. The FaceTime session was very helpful. His shipping and packing was great, and he knew the best way to get them into Canada. He has a ton of experience. I'm aware it hasn't been totally smooth sailing for some, but I'm completely satisfied with my purchases and his service.

    Both were on the lower end of the scale. When the day comes to go to a higher level I'll make the trip. I like Seattle, and he usually has several interesting guitars on hand. It'd be an education for me as it's really hard to experience good archtops where I live. One day...

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Yep.
    I met Lem in the mid '90s. At the time, he was doing side work for Andy Marshall of THD amps. He was gracious enough to give me pointers on re-tolexing a Super Reverb I'd just come into. Nice fella who knew what was what. Any idea where he is these days?

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by telephone
    I met Lem in the mid '90s. At the time, he was doing side work for Andy Marshall of THD amps. He was gracious enough to give me pointers on re-tolexing a Super Reverb I'd just come into. Nice fella who knew what was what. Any idea where he is these days?
    Last I heard he’d taken a job in a bakery. Damn shame because Lem was one of the finest luthier’s and greatly experienced. To his critics, he could be slow if you had a big job. He was better off working out of his home in Shoreline. That’s when I met him.

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by HeyNow
    I’ve had no problems with Joe. I’ve bought 2 guitars from him.

    my only nit picks would be 1) he’s not the friendliest communicator (no negotiation, very curt with messages) and 2) the packing material in one of my (expensive) guitars was amateur hour (small used cardboard boxes, rolled up newspapers).

    Neither description nor setup was a problem.
    ++1 on your first comment