Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I just sold a 74 Howard Roberts on Reverb. It sold in 1 day for $2750 (I should have listed it for $3000). The experience was pleasant, but I think I blew it with the shipping; it was a lot more expensive than I estimated. Anyways, learning experience.

Now I want to sell a Roland JC120 that I have used maybe 5 times in 20 years. Everything is great except the chorus doesn't work.

To those who are familiar with Reverb.com, if I want to sell it quickly, at what price should I list it? Isn't shipping going to be extremely expensive? How does that work?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Where are you located?
    Could you sell it locally and have the buyer pick it up?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Where are you located?
    Could you sell it locally and have the buyer pick it up?
    I'm in NorCal, Sacramento.

That's probably the best way to go about it, huh?

User Info Menu

Shipping a Roland JC-120 would be ridiculously expensive due to size and weight (and relatively low value of the amp.) Local Craigslist is the best way to go. Also, I’ve just gotta say, the stereo chorus is the only reason to buy that amp in my opinion. Without that it might be a tough sell.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vernon
    Shipping a Roland JC-120 would be ridiculously expensive due to size and weight (and relatively low value of the amp.) Local Craigslist is the best way to go. Also, I’ve just gotta say, the stereo chorus is the only reason to buy that amp in my opinion. Without that it might be a tough sell.
    I will fix it first.

Thanks for the reply

User Info Menu

Shipping a Roland JC-120 would be ridiculously expensive due to size and weight (and relatively low value of the amp.) Local Craigslist is the best way to go.
    ^^ This. ^^

In general, though, the best way to get a sense of the pricing on Reverb is just to pull up the item -- they have data on low-high sales ranges, others in the Used market, etc., so you can ball-park a price from there.

User Info Menu

The chorus on that amp defined the sound of many groups in the 80's. The Police come to mind immediately with Andy Summers on guitar.

User Info Menu

I would do craigslist. You could also do Reverb and say local pickup only. (Of course, then you could be sneaky and make private arrangements to avoid taxes and fees, not that I am condoning that.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eh6794-2.0
    I'm in NorCal, Sacramento.

That's probably the best way to go about it, huh?
    The forum seems to be in agreement! You are not isolated in North Buttpluck, so if you can afford to be patient, I bet you'll find a buyer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I would do craigslist. You could also do Reverb and say local pickup only. (Of course, then you could be sneaky and make private arrangements to avoid taxes and fees, not that I am condoning that.)
    We don't seem to have a winking smilie, but we do have this ...

User Info Menu

If you pack the amp yourself, it'll cost less than $100 via UPS. The amp isn't gonna be over $1000 (right?), so that Reverb insurance isn't gonna hit too hard. I think if you list $150 (or 175 to cover your "handling" costs), you'll make off fine. Some folks are willing to pay a lot for shipping on Reverb, if they see something they really like.

If you ask UPS to pack the amp for you, it's gonna be at least another $100. They make a fortune on folks. I recommend asking local friends for a spare box that fits, buying about $10 in thick bubble wrap and packing tape, and just doing it yourself.

Could just subtract 15% from whatever you're thinking of listing it at, selling local for a discount and saving yourself the time and trouble.

User Info Menu

I think Reverb also suggests to be on the high side with shipping, you can always refund the buyer.

I have done that a few times.
    For integrity sake, if shipping is not as high as I anticipated, I refund the buy some amount.
    It makes everyone feel good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shredmiyagi
    If you pack the amp yourself, it'll cost less than $100 via UPS.
    That depends on the destination. I just sent a solid body guitar without case from Philly to Texas. Double boxed, it was 48x18x8” and 20 pounds. I used ShipGuitars for their discounted UPS rate, and it cost $100 including insurance for $800. Regular UPS would have been $130.