Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 48

User Info Menu

I’d like to buy a new archtop, thinking Norlin era 175s, maybe a player grade L5, artist award, heritage golden eagle or something interesting along those lines, budget of up to U$5.000, may be able to stretch a bit for something special. Please message me

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think an Artist Award at $5000 is going to be in pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I think an Artist Award at $5000 is going to be in pieces.
    Is it? I think there are some fairly priced ones out there would just like one that I can go see in person

Guild Artist Award 1994 Sunburst | Nightlife | Reverb

User Info Menu

I would not pay $5000 for an AA at least not normally. I think $4500-4800 tops. Buy a Heritage Golden Eagle might be a better deal and sound better. AA are nice guitars and generally very good QC. My complaint is that I have not met one that completely knocks me out acoustically. They are build well but me thinks not carved and voice as well with exception of the Benedetto AA those I might pay more for sure. The problem then with the Benny AA's is that at the price they are then you are looking at L5.

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I would not pay $5000 for an AA at least not normally. I think $4500-4800 tops. Buy a Heritage Golden Eagle might be a better deal and sound better. AA are nice guitars and generally very good QC. My complaint is that I have not met one that completely knocks me out acoustically. They are build well but me thinks not carved and voice as well with exception of the Benedetto AA those I might pay more for sure. The problem then with the Benny AA's is that at the price they are then you are looking at L5.
    Thanks Mark, I was under the impression that they were carved instruments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSanta
    much appreciated. What’s the situation with returns at Guitar Center for used gear?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by danishbacon
    much appreciated. What’s the situation with returns at Guitar Center for used gear?
    It's either 30 or 45 days, no questions asked.

User Info Menu

Basically as good as it gets. No questions asked for 45 days I think, to any location

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2
    Basically as good as it gets. No questions asked for 45 days I think, to any location
    thanks both, looks like vintage is 3 days only, and 90s is now vintage….

User Info Menu

Is it? I think there are some fairly priced ones out there would just like one that I can go see in person

Guild Artist Award 1994 Sunburst | Nightlife | Reverb
    My apologies. My brain malfunctioned. For some reason I was thinking of a Kalamazoo Award. 16 or 17” archtop with pickup in New England or near

User Info Menu

Thanks Mark, I was under the impression that they were carved instruments
    No meant to say not carved as in real fine tune tap tuning. AA are in fact carved archtops for sure all of them. I just don’t think they really voiced them for full response.

User Info Menu

Looks like you are correct for vintage instruments. I guess I'm vintage now too, but that's a whole different story.

IMO, if that guitar meets your needs, I'd still consider it. 3 days is more generous than some random Reverb or Craigslist seller in most cases. I consider myself a very honest person and have had great success on Reverb, but I still don't accept trial periods or returns.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    My apologies. My brain malfunctioned. For some reason I was thinking of a Kalamazoo Award. 16 or 17” archtop with pickup in New England or near
    j

no problem thank you for clarifying and sorry for the short answer.

User Info Menu

Having owned both a Benedetto AA and a standard mid 90’s AA I’d be happy to make a suggestion...even though you didn’t ask for it.

The Guild Benedetto AA was sprayed with this thick shellac substance that absolutely ruined the guitar. Deadened the sound completely. As a result the far superior guitar is the AA. And it’s a big guitar at 3.5” in depth. It was truly one of my favorites, but it’s not the most acoustic guitar. But if you play plugged in that’s a good thing.

On to my final point. See that guitar above, the sunburst from Reverb? I know the seller. He’s a guitar tech who’s been trying to sell the guitar for a while. But his asking price in this climate is extremely cheap. Especially since that guitar appears in MINT condition. These guitars have gone up in price the past 4 years. Mine had a custom pickup and the tone was so sweet. It’s absolutely one of the finest archtops I’ve ever owned.

Last week Archtop dot com sold one above 5k. I’ve seen many of these priced above 6k. If I was in the market for one I’d run to my computer to buy that one because it may just be the last $4100 AA you ever see again. My .02.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Having owned both a Benedetto AA and a standard mid 90’s AA I’d be happy to make a suggestion...even though you didn’t ask for it.

The Guild Benedetto AA was sprayed with this thick shellac substance that absolutely ruined the guitar. Deadened the sound completely. As a result the far superior guitar is the AA. And it’s a big guitar at 3.5” in depth. It was truly one of my favorites, but it’s not the most acoustic guitar. But if you play plugged in that’s a good thing.

On to my final point. See that guitar above, the sunburst from Reverb? I know the seller. He’s a guitar tech who’s been trying to sell the guitar for a while. But his asking price in this climate is extremely cheap. Especially since that guitar appears in MINT condition. These guitars have gone up in price the past 4 years. Mine had a custom pickup and the tone was so sweet. It’s absolutely one of the finest archtops I’ve ever owned.

Last week Archtop dot com sold one above 5k. I’ve seen many of these priced above 6k. If I was in the market for one I’d run to my computer to buy that one because it may just be the last $4100 AA you ever see again. My .02.
    Thank you, that is helpful to know

Guitar center has sent me some more photos of the AA, looks like it's missing the original bridge as the one installed has post holes in the saddle and seems to be made of rosewood?

Seems an unusual change on an otherwise clean looking guitar...

User Info Menu

If only I didn't have 2 kids in college this September I would grab that sunburst. I have a soft spot for Guilds after having two excellent flat tops (D50C and D55). Maybe if it's still up there in January

That said, a Campellone Standard starts at $5200, maybe give Mark a call (he's in Rhode Island) and get something made just for you?
    Standard Series | MCampellone.com

That cash should get you a sweet 50's L7 as well if you have any interest in those.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    If only I didn't have 2 kids in college this September I would grab that sunburst. I have a soft spot for Guilds after having two excellent flat tops (D50C and D55). Maybe if it's still up there in January

That said, a Campellone Standard starts at $5200, maybe give Mark a call (he's in Rhode Island) and get something made just for you?

That cash should get you a sweet 50's L7 as well if you have any interest in those.
    I second both these ideas. Love my 50's L7, and a Campellone could be a great idea. I have never been able to play one but admire them from afar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2
    I second both these ideas. Love my 50's L7, and a Campellone could be a great idea. I have never been able to play one but admire them from afar.
    I honestly don't think anyone would mind if you threw up a pic of that L7

User Info Menu

Guitar Denter has this 1957 L-7C hanging for $4,800

It's been a long time since they made 1957 Gibson archtops. It's probably settled in by now.

User Info Menu

I honestly don't think anyone would mind if you threw up a pic of that L7
    Here's another pic of a '50's L-7 - -the blonde on the left. : )...And yes it's as clean as it looks, with the original Lifton case.....

And FYI, I took it to GC last year when they were having their Mega Guitar Buying Event or whatever bs they called it.....
    Bottom line, after their exclusive in-store blacklight testing process and after they even placed a priority telephone call all the way to California, they offered me $2500. And that was for an original natural finish......Makes you wonder what they offered and paid for this one, eh ?...And as a trade on that WesMo, I was not offered $3000 either.

So my .02 cents worth - - how do you not order a Campellone for $5200, and get new, unscratched, pickup installed new case etc, etc and not have to deal with locating and trying to buy one of these usually overpriced '50's Gibsons ?

Hope this helps and good luck !
    !16 or 17” archtop with pickup in New England or near-6-21-001-1024x768-jpg
    Last edited by Dennis D; 08-06-2021 at 02:47 PM.

User Info Menu

That guitar will be long gone by January. He only just now lowered the price by $800. He lowered the price because he removed the original DeArmond pickup that was on it. That’s why the pick guard was modified, to accommodate the DeArmond. I say again, in today’s market that guitar is an absolute steal. I sold mine for $3500, and that was 7 years ago. Get the picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    Guitar Denter has this 1957 L-7C hanging for $4,800

It's been a long time since they made 1957 Gibson archtops. It's probably settled in by now.
    that looks lovely but I think I’m set on a guitar with a built in pickup (have got a floating sweet 16 already)

campellone is an interesting idea. Archtop.com have a 2006 special in stock…