Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Hofner Verythin Standard Satin
    Here’s a German-built Verythin Standard, one of a Limited Edition of only six done with a satin finish, birds-eye maple back and rims, flamed maple neck, spruce top, solid spruce block, ebony fret board and ebony headstock overlay. It has minimal decoration, limited to triple dot headstock inlays, like those on some of the very early 1950s Hofner archtops.

Hofner reintroduced its iconic Verithin with the Verythin Classic, in 2000; and the Verythin Standard, in 2002. These German-made guitars have been made in very limited quantities - fewer than 500 Verythin Standards have been made since 2002. It comes with its OEM Hofner hardshell case by Winter. This particular guitar was a display guitar at the Hofner booth at the NAMM show, and I grabbed it for myself. I've gotten to that point in my life where I've decided that I don't need six Verythins.

Take it away for $2,000 plus shipping to anywhere. Payment by Paypal Friends & Family, check, bag o' cash.

Specifications:
    -Schaller tuners, nickel-plated
    -Tune-o-matic-style bridge & tailpice, nickel-plated
    -two volume, two tone controls, three-way pickup selector switch.
    -laminated spruce top
    -laminated birds-eye maple back and rims
    -flamed maple neck
    -ebony fretboard
    -ebony headstock overlay.
    -25.25" | 25 1/4” | @641mm scale length
    -1.25" | 1 1/4” | 31.75mm rim depth
    -1.75” | 1 3/4” | 44.5mm nut width
    -.827” | 53/64” | 21mm neck depth at first fret
    -.888” | 57/64” | 22.6mm neck depth at twelfth fret
    -“C” shape neck profile
    -weight 6.44 pounds | 2.93kg
    -medium frets
    -Schaller Straplocks, nickel-plated
    -Hofner OEM vintage-style humbucking pickups supplied by Schaller, nickel-plated covers
    -Hofner OEM double-arched Winter German-made hardshell case

Condition:
    The guitar has never been sold at retail.
    It is as new, with no fret wear.
    One of the tailpiece studs is marked, and is definitely not moving - otherwise, there are no marks on the guitar.

Despite its passing resemblance to an ES-335, the guitar feels and sounds quite different - MUCH lighter, and brighter sounding. The longer scale gives it a much snappier sound - I’ve always considered these guitars as semis for Fender players. With a suede backed-strap, it balances fine. With a strap made of seatbelt material, not so much. It is so light that it's simply not an issue.

Pix below. Plays great, sounds great, feels great, and so forth. Come on down!
    Last edited by Hammertone; 06-26-2021 at 02:11 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Pix:
    Attached Images Attached Images Hofner Verythin Standard - made in Germany-img_1329-jpg Hofner Verythin Standard - made in Germany-img_1328-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 06-24-2021 at 09:43 PM.

User Info Menu

More pix:
    Attached Images Attached Images Hofner Verythin Standard - made in Germany-img_1331-jpg Hofner Verythin Standard - made in Germany-img_1330-jpg Hofner Verythin Standard - made in Germany-img_1332-jpg 

User Info Menu

A few more:
    Attached Images Attached Images Hofner Verythin Standard - made in Germany-hof-verythin-standard_0604-copy-jpg Hofner Verythin Standard - made in Germany-img_1326-jpg Hofner Verythin Standard - made in Germany-img_0600-jpg Hofner Verythin Standard - made in Germany-img_0611-jpg 

User Info Menu

Very nice! GLWTS!

User Info Menu

Sexy! $2000 Brand new? You feeling okay HT with a low price like that?
    Deleterious from being confined in Canada?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fear the Reaper View Post
    Sexy! $2000 Brand new? You feeling okay HT with a low price like that? Deleterious from being confined in Canada?
    I'd charge more (they certainly sell for more), but the tailpiece treble side stud slot is not 100%. And this model is a bit less expensive than the Verythin Classic. This is a particularly elegant example of the Verythin Standard. German built archtop electric guitars from @2012 forward have crazy-good fretwork as well - they spent hours on these frets, not minutes.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 06-26-2021 at 01:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Interesting as my old school luthier, at 77 years old everything is old school, said he really liked the Verythin I bought from you. But most of all he liked the fretwork. Go figure, He's of German descent. His father came from Germany and built, repaired and tuned pianos.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    @2012 forward have crazy-good fretwork as well - they spent hours on these frets, not minutes.

User Info Menu

Really like the satin finish with these types of tone wood. IMHO Just a classy look, sublime beauty.

More pix:

User Info Menu

The pickups. Vintage OEM Schaller
    Do happen to know what the magnets and resistance values might be?
    BTW Intresting bit of detail with the birds eye maple just above the strap button or at the heel of the neck.

User Info Menu

Ok Im a Hofner fanboy. But a handbuilt guitar of choice tone woods "screams" an incredible value for the price.

I'd charge more (they certainly sell for more), but the tailpiece treble side stud slot is not 100%. This is a particularly elegant example of the Verythin Standard. German built archtop electric guitars from @2012 forward have crazy-good fretwork as well - they spent hours on these frets, not minutes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fear the Reaper View Post
    The pickups. Vintage OEM Schaller
    Do happen to know what the magnets and resistance values might be?
    BTW Intresting bit of detail with the birds eye maple just above the strap button or at the heel of the neck.
    I'll meter the pickups and list the values. It has AlNiCo magnets, but I have no idea which ones. No one at Hofner will know, and Schaller is out of the pickup business, so no one there will know either. I'll dig through some old documents and see what I can find.

The new Verythin Classics (of which only a handful exist) use full-sized humbuckers, but older Verythin Classics (pre-2016) were built for OEM Hofner minihumbuckers. Full-sized humbuckers can be retro-fitted to older Classics, but it's difficult to do due to their narrower internal block. Verythin Standards have been equipped with full-sized humbuckers since @2006.

User Info Menu

I just noticed the three inlays dots in the headstock get sequentially larger in size moving to the top of the headstock. •? Any significant to that as some sort of symbolism? Honestly it would be something I would do. Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    More pix:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fear the Reaper
    I just noticed the three inlays dots in the headstock get sequentially larger in size moving to the top of the headstock. •? Any significant to that as some sort of symbolism? Honestly it would be something I would do. Lol!
    Hofner used the three-dot headstock inlay in the early 1950s on several lower-end guitars: the Four Square, Square Dance, Model 449, Model 126 (like a Club guitar) and the Senator. This iteration is certainly the nicest, and the idea is a nice tip o' the hat to history.
    Attached Images Attached Images Hofner Verythin Standard - made in Germany-hof-3dots-jpg 

User Info Menu

Actually I now recall that I am familiar with Schaller pickups. Heritage guitars uses or used Schaller pickups as their "stock" pickups. Along with Schaller pickups the used their hardware also. Roller bridge comes to mind. Back when I bought my first Heritage, H575, in 2005, Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers where the upgraded pickup. Those along with other Duncan's.

User Info Menu

This is probably the most elegant Verythin Standard I've seen! I'm guessing you already sold it (though the market might be slow).

The materials used for the neck and body seem to match or surpass the quality of many of the the Verythin Classics I've seen - would you say that is true?

In your experience, is this guitar more likely to excel with lighter gauge strings - 009s or 010s - or might it do equally well with 11s or 12s?

Good luck with the sale, if it's not already sold. I am tempted!

User Info Menu

... the tailpiece treble side stud slot is not 100%.
    What would need to be done to fix the tailpiece treble side stud slot - or does it need any fixing at all?

User Info Menu

Hi George!
    The guitar is available. To answer your questions:

-the materials used are of the same quality as on other Verythins - just a bit different in that Hofner has not used bird's-eye maple backs/rims on Verythins except for this "Limited Run" of six instruments. Hofner used clear, straight-grained maple for the Verythin, New President and Jazzica necks, but did a few limited run series with flamed maple, and occasionally (seemingly randomly) used flamed maple for some of these guitars. After @2012, many more necks appear with flamed maple. Chancellors dating back to their introduction in 2003 usually have highly flamed maple necks.

-the guitar works equally well with lighter or heavier strings;

-the tailpiece studs are not going anywhere. Because the block is light/soft spruce and the top is light/soft laminated spruce, the studs are very permanently adhered into place. No fixing will ever be required, ha! The height adjustment slot on the treble side is marked, as shown in the pix above - this happened at NAMM, when Mike Lipe and I were trying to raise it, before we figured out that it was not going to move. This happened while we were adjusting the guitar for use by Vinnie Valentino in a NAMM showcase.

Here's Vinnie, at the booth, and playing (through a Koch Studiotone), with Steve Smith. The guitar was strung up for him with D'Addario .013-.056 Chromes. It's currently strung up with a set of D'Addario .011-.52 nickel-plated steel roundwounds - sounds great both ways!
    Attached Images Attached Images Hofner Verythin Standard - made in Germany-vinnie-valentino-gs-jpg Hofner Verythin Standard - made in Germany-stevesmith-vinnyvalentino-namm-2015-1-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 07-13-2021 at 12:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Are those Hofner violins in the back ground?

Hi George!
    The guitar is available. To answer your questions:

-the materials used are of the same quality as on other Verythins - just a bit different in that Hofner has not used bird's-eye maple backs/rims on Verythins except for this "Limited Run" of six instruments. Hofner used clear, straight-grained maple for the Verythin, New President and Jazzica necks, but did a few limited run series with flamed maple, and occasionally (seemingly randomly) used flamed maple for some of these guitars. After @2012, many more necks appear with flamed maple. Chancellors dating back to their introduction in 2003 usually have highly flamed maple necks.

-the guitar works equally well with lighter or heavier strings;

-the tailpiece studs are not going anywhere. Because the block is light/soft spruce and the top is light/soft laminated spruce, the studs are very permanently adhered into place. No fixing will ever be required, ha! The height adjustment slot on the treble side is marked, as shown in the pix above - this happened at NAMM, when Mike Lipe and I were trying to raise it, before we figured out that it was not going to move. This happened while we were adjusting the guitar for use by Vinnie Valentino in a NAMM showcase.

Here's Vinnie, at the booth, and playing (through a Koch Studiotone), with Steve Smith. The guitar was strung up for him with D'Addario .013-.056 Chromes. It's currently strung up with a set of D'Addario .011-.52 nickel-plated steel roundwounds - sounds great both ways!

User Info Menu

I love this guitar. The woods and matte finish........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fear the Reaper
    Are those Hofner violins in the back ground?
    Yes. Violins, violas, 'cellos, double basses, bows - got you covered!

User Info Menu

Is this still for sale?

User Info Menu

Very much for sale!
    Come on down!