Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Roger just informed me that a new Jim Wyble guitar is available for sale. The guitar has a 1-3/4 nut with a 25” scale length. His website provides more detail about this model. The price is $5500.

Roger may be difficult to reach at times - but if someone is interested, sent me a pm and I’ll reach out to Roger on your behalf - he’s a personal friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Isn’t that a good buy?

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Isn’t that a good buy?

Roger Bory’s certainly needs no introduction , and is known among jazz pros for his exemplary laminate builds. To obtain an instrument of this quality, from a builder with direct lineage to Jim D’Aquisto is quite special.

Roger and Jimmy had years of collaboration regarding building methods , bracing and plate design, and the outcome was a product that has been well embraced by the jazz community for decades.

I own both the B120 and Jim Wyble model and they are very fine instruments - and Roger has kept his price structure at a fair price.

Additionally, a Borys instrument has respectable retention value on the used market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I don’t understand this VOS treatment fad.
    Who would buy a new car with faded dull paint and scuffed rims ?

To me that brass tailpiece would look 100% better polished and shiny.
    Just my humble opinion.

Older Borys didn’t have this current VOS treatment.
    VOS means far less work and final buffing.
    Throw the tailpiece in some vinegar and do a rough buff and
    wala you have a VOS guitar.
    Of course you could send the guitar to Joe and he would have it shining like a brand new penny in short order.

User Info Menu

+1

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I don’t understand this VOS treatment fad.
    Who would buy a new car with faded dull paint and scuffed rims ?

To me that brass tailpiece would look 100% better polished and shiny.
    Just my humble opinion.

Older Borys didn’t have this current VOS treatment.
    VOS means far less work and final buffing.
    Throw the tailpiece in some vinegar and do a rough buff and
    wala you have a VOS guitar.
    Of course you could send the guitar to Joe and he would have it shining like a brand new penny in short order.

User Info Menu

I think that guitar is beautiful.
    It's not like he beat it up and added fake checking and wear. More like a patina that softens the look.

Of course, everybody has different tastes and guitars are very personal things.

User Info Menu

In the flesh (or in the brass, as the case may be), the Borys tailpiece looks patterned, not so much distressed. I have a B-120, and in my eyes it looks beautiful and unpretentious. And it plays and sounds great.

User Info Menu

I like the patina of the hammered or worked brass tailpiece. I have 3 Roger Borys laminate guitars. Two of them have this tailpiece. Roger Borys offers a polished shiny penny brass tailpiece if that is what you prefer. It can be swapped out easily.

I don't need another Borys laminate or I might have sprung for this one.

User Info Menu

These are pro grade level guitars that offer the only AFFORDABLE link to the great Jimmy D’Aquisto.
    If Steve is involved you know it’s a great guitar. The great players make Borys guitars their weapon of choice for a reason.
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    These are pro grade level guitars that offer the only AFFORDABLE link to the great Jimmy D’Aquisto.
    If Steve is involved you know it’s a great guitar. The great players make Borys guitars their weapon of choice for a reason.
    JD
    Thanks for the kind words Joe. Like Jabs, I have a few Borys or else this would have never been posted. Roger never advertises, and when one becomes available it's usually sold rather quickly through his player network.

I was playing my Wyble yesterday and it's smooth as silk. It has the look and feel of a broken in vintage guitar.

With today's price escalations, I still find it to be a fair price.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Roger Borys’s guitars are fantastic. I owned a B-120 in the past. The workmanship was impeccable and it sounded amazing. The only reason I didn’t keep the guitar, was because the scale and nut-width didn’t suit me. Mine had a 25.5” scale and a nut-width of slightly more than 1 3/4”. I loved the guitar but my hands just aren’t big enough for that combination. The one in this posting has the dimensions I would want if I were buying one today. It looks like a great guitar at a very reasonable price.
    Keith

User Info Menu

I have a 1981 version of what became B120 after Roger split ways with Jimmy D'Aquisto - 40 years down the road still one of the best guitars I ever played. Can't recommend him and his work highly enough - the pickguard on mine was broken and he offered to make a replacement one for me so now the guitar looks like a blend of new and old version. On top of that he gave me a tour of his shop when I was visiting NYC pre-covid. The guitar was played a lot and the tailpiece has a nice patina not dissimilar to the patina he has on the new tailpieces he offers and I think it looks really nice with the finish he uses. His guitars don't look as modern as Sadowskis or as refined as Treniers but they do deliver in terms of sound and playability

User Info Menu

Don't know if this sold, but I am very happy with mine (thanks again for the tip QAman!). I bought mine second hand for not that much less.

Impeccably crafted and plays great. This is a pro guitar in every way. Fat sounding with clarity, and quite feedback resistant. I can see why a lot of jazz pros use it.

In terms of the styling, it has a matte finish, acrylic lacquer IIRC, but it is not distressed or aged. The tailpiece does have a bit of an aged look to it though. A little different from the usual run of guitars that are super glossy. I kinda like it!

These fly under the radar a bit but are very high quality. And very well priced for a handmade guitar by a well known luthier. And Roger has been great with info even though I found mine in the used market.