Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I've passed on some used instruments that I have been very interested in because of horror stories on here about Reverb, sometimes painfully (broadway elitist, tal farlow for example) they looked good but a lot of money with no real remedy if it went caddywhampus. Now I have found another one that I like this time but it's a new guitar.

So my question, would you buy "brand new" off Reverb? The instrument in question here is no longer in production but there is apparently a new one up in Canada. They are supposed to be a authorized Epiphone seller with full manufacturers warranty but the seller says no returns accepted, which makes me nervous. I'd rather err on the side of caution, but I wanted to get a idea of what reverb is like from real folks without a dog in the fight if you will.

Thanks for the input

https://reverb.com/item/36693552-epi...0-tribute-plus

(mods please feel free to move this thread if needed, I wasn't quite sure where to post it)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

No!

User Info Menu

No also.

User Info Menu

no

User Info Menu

Maybe!
    I bought a brand new 2019 Epiphone ES 339 Vintage burst on Reverb. BUT, it was from a very well known guitar dealer in the US, Dave's Guitars. They had inventory left over in 2020 from 2019. Multiple 2019 guitars in various finishes. Incredible price from a motivated seller. With mods, my main guitar.

User Info Menu

No. There are other new Epi models that are essentially the same that you can get from a seller that allows returns (e.g., Guitar Center, Sweetwater, etc.), for less money. If you have to have that exact model, buy used from someone on Reverb (or elsewhere) who offers returns. FWIW, My experience with Reverb (both buying and selling) has been positive. I'm no more nervous there than other online sources, but it's better to avoid non-returnable items if possible.

User Info Menu

Check out the “Inspired by Gibson” Epi’s that are fairly new to the market. The street price for low mileage Epi Tributes are under $650.

User Info Menu

No

I never buy sight unseen from unknown source.

The only time I ordered new unseen was from a dealer with a small deposit. That gave me the option to reject the sale. If it arrived damaged or wrong it was their problem.

I was interested in this exact model because it is built like a Gibson LP, even has 57' classic pickups. It was actually in my cart at sweetwater but never came off of back order. I guess it's time to buy a similar epi and just have the pickups switched myself since Gibson doesn't seem to use 57' classics on anything except hollow body custom shop guitars anymore.

The lack of return options bothers me too, so I'm going to pass. I appreciate the tips, you guys may have saved me from a nightmare.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Fingers
    I was interested in this exact model because it is built like a Gibson LP, even has 57' classic pickups. It was actually in my cart at sweetwater but never came off of back order. I guess it's time to buy a similar epi and just have the pickups switched myself since Gibson doesn't seem to use 57' classics on anything except hollow body custom shop guitars anymore.

The lack of return options bothers me too, so I'm going to pass. I appreciate the tips, you guys may have saved me from a nightmare.
    Epiphone Premium ES-175 guitars also have '57 Classics on them. But it is becoming hard to find them.

User Info Menu

Not a chance…keep looking.

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with buying off of Reverb. That is beyond ugly guitar, however.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lkdog
    Nothing wrong with buying off of Reverb. That is beyond ugly guitar, however.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BBGuitar
    No

I never buy sight unseen from unknown source.

The only time I ordered new unseen was from a dealer with a small deposit. That gave me the option to reject the sale. If it arrived damaged or wrong it was their problem.
    I’ve purchased a hundred guitars each acquired from internet sellers. You’ve missed out on some real gems.

User Info Menu

I got to say, it strikes me a little ooky that Epiphone (a subsidiary of Gibson) is making "tribute" or "homage" guitars to Gibson. It is a little like a presidential candidate ghostwriting his doctor's endorsement for the job.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I’ve purchased a hundred guitars each acquired from internet sellers. You’ve missed out on some real gems.
    I've had good luck buying used guitars sight-unseen for the most part. Once or twice discovered some undisclosed repairs but small minority.

Curious though what's the best way to get buyer protection. I used to take the guitar straight to a luthier once it arrived for an experienced eye and some peace of mind. I haven't purchased yet on reverb but it's supposed to have something like that. W/o ebay/reverb protections. What does anyone recommend ? You can use paypal's protection but it comes with a 1.5% (not sure what it is now) fee. I realize it's not going to be zero cost. What's the best practice ?

I was looking at an Epi 175 on Reverb just this week and wrote asking for more detail, repair history. The seller said the headstock had cracked off an been repaired. It wasn't mentioned in the listing anywhere I could find. Condition said "Excellent". I know it doesn't doom a guitar to have a headstock repair but I sure want to know about a detail like that. You still have to be careful.