Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

I know they’re like hen’s teeth, but anybody got one they want to get rid of?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I could send you some hen's teeth...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I could send you some hen's teeth...
    Will they slightly mute the open strings on my guitar?

User Info Menu

If you're (c)lucky.

Seriously, though, I wouldn't mind trying one myself.

Same here.
    I just missed one on eBay over the weekend.

User Info Menu

Contact Cris Mirabella of Mirabella Guitars. MIRABELLA GUITARS - Side view on the mounted string damper | Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Thanks. I tried that a couple of years ago, and I'm specifically looking for an original Van Eps or Farrand.

I found one that’s missing the felt holder. Looks like I should be able to use it as a model to build a new one from scratch.

User Info Menu

Felt is cheap and easily available. If that's the only issue with it, I'd snap it up. Cutting and gluing a piece of felt is something anyone should be able to do. Or you could use some hard foam material instead. That should work as well. Whatever you have on hand will work for awhile, and you can change to the original type easily enough once you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Felt is cheap and easily available. If that's the only issue with it, I'd snap it up. Cutting and gluing a piece of felt is something anyone should be able to do. Or you could use some hard foam material instead. That should work as well. Whatever you have on hand will work for awhile, and you can change to the original type easily enough once you have it.
    It's on the way to me...I have the measurements on the U channel that holds the felt (it's missing the entire felt holder).
    Hopefully, I can build an entire unit from scratch. I have a machinist cousin that thinks he can make an exact copy of the whole damper.

User Info Menu

The originals of either Van Eps (his own or the Gibson-made ones) are very rare. I had some discussion with Pat shortly after his stroke about the dampers (he lives about 25-30 miles away). He was negotiating to sell his design and tooling to a luthier- maybe that was Mirabella? The ones on his Facebook page look pretty much exactly like Pat's design.

The Mirabella damper that I had was definitely a different design than the Farrand that I’ve seen.

User Info Menu

Yeah, the lever is centered rather than off to the side. Reduces the risk of damage from getting bumped in the case. Might be slightly less convenient on the fly.

There's an old thread on here discussing variations on the theme with one member's handiwork. Plus a great photo of a Van Eps version.

Van Epps String Dampeners...anyone use/own one?

User Info Menu

Oh, it's missing the entire piece that holds the felt. I misunderstood that. That's going to be a little more difficult than just replacing the felt.

Oh, it's missing the entire piece that holds the felt. I misunderstood that. That's going to be a little more difficult than just replacing the felt.
    Actually, it won’t be bad...it’s just aluminum u-channel. Easy to find, easy to cut/drill.
    It looks like everything you’d need to build an exact copy (even down to the spring and bearing lock) is easily attainable for little $$$.

User Info Menu

One of the volunteers at my Fire Brigade, who happens to have a home machine shop and taught technical trades throughout his working life, built one for me based on the original patent drawings. It is a bit rough as a prototype but I am sure we could clean up the manufacturing process. One thing would be to do custom mounts/bases modeled on the truss-rod cover of the guitar it was made for. The first one took him less than two hours to create.

User Info Menu

I know it's not the Van Eps, but Gruv Gear makes a nice one (the "small" is for guitar).

Quote Originally Posted by thelostboss
    One of the volunteers at my Fire Brigade, who happens to have a home machine shop and taught technical trades throughout his working life, built one for me based on the original patent drawings. It is a bit rough as a prototype but I am sure we could clean up the manufacturing process. One thing would be to do custom mounts/bases modeled on the truss-rod cover of the guitar it was made for. The first one took him less than two hours to create.
    That's really interesting, and along the lines of what I was thinking. I also thought about a thumbwheel instead of the right angle handle for engaging the muting arm.
    Do you have photos of yours? It would be interesting to see one made directly from the patent

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mccolalx
    Actually, it won’t be bad...it’s just aluminum u-channel. Easy to find, easy to cut/drill.
    It looks like everything you’d need to build an exact copy (even down to the spring and bearing lock) is easily attainable for little $$$.
    any hobby shop will have the channel for a few dollars. Maybe felt, too.

User Info Menu

Good Lord! What a silly bunch of designs have been demonstrated in this thread. Is the Van Eps patent still in force so that nobody else can make one that actually makes sense? Why would you design something that covers up anywhere from 1 to 3 full frets on the fingerboard? It renders the guitar useless to play.

The patent is easy to understand, the principle is simple; a little trial and error for dimensions and angles would be necessary. The hardest thing would be the ball locking mechanism and that's not all that difficult. Of course, if like me you've only got a hand drill, hacksaw and some files to do the fabricating, that makes a little bit more of a challenge.

I don't think that Chris Mirabella has made these in quite some time. at least a few years back he had a note on his website to that effect. And his website is apparently being replaced but that doesn't seem to be moving very quickly. The market for this sort of thing is vanishingly small, I suspect. I'd be happy to be wrong on these counts.

User Info Menu

My String Dampers.

User Info Menu

Here's a picture of an original Van Eps on Tommy Tedesco's 1956 ES-175.
    Van Eps or Farrand style string damper-e74515d6-2f2d-4318-b8e6-52df7362aa56_1_201_a-jpegVan Eps or Farrand style string damper-77580ab1-65c0-45bb-ae9e-af50b78ce1f6_1_201_a-jpeg

Check out this link...
    Scotty Moore - String Dampers

User Info Menu

I use a thin strip of loop Velcro under the strings, up against the nut. 1/4" wide is enough. It deadens the strings just enough to prevent sympathetic ringing, and if you want to remove it, just pull it out. It's harder to install than to remove, but it's not that difficult. Plus, it's cheap, and makes no alterations to the guitar. If you want to use the deluxe version, you can put a matching strip of hook velcro on top of it. But IMO it looks better with just the strip under the strings, not really noticeable unless you use brightly colored material. I find that basic black is best.

I use a thin strip of loop Velcro under the strings, up against the nut. 1/4" wide is enough. It deadens the strings just enough to prevent sympathetic ringing, and if you want to remove it, just pull it out. It's harder to install than to remove, but it's not that difficult. Plus, it's cheap, and makes no alterations to the guitar. If you want to use the deluxe version, you can put a matching strip of hook velcro on top of it. But IMO it looks better with just the strip under the strings, not really noticeable unless you use brightly colored material. I find that basic black is best.
    That's what I typically do with a thin piece of felt, tied around the back of the neck. I'm just interested in seeing what the Van Eps was like. Some of my favorite players used them, so I'm just curious.