Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Looks great, price seems reasonable, store has good reputation:
    2003 Gibson Guitar ES-165 Herb Ellis lightburst - Guitar - Gryphon Stringed Instruments

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cool but I wonder why this model is called a Herb Ellis other than the shape is like a 175. Can't remember him ever playing guitars w a floating pickup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    Looks great, price seems reasonable, store has good reputation:
    2003 Gibson Guitar ES-165 Herb Ellis lightburst - Guitar - Gryphon Stringed Instruments
    Beautiful and a decent price! Nice share

Lyle - Jazz Guitar Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Cool but I wonder why this model is called a Herb Ellis other than the shape is like a 175. Can't remember him ever playing guitars w a floating pickup.
    The description states that: "the original Gibson BJB mini-humbucker pickup and pickguard-mounted volume control has been replaced with a floating Bartolini Jazz pickup, mounted to a custom ebony pickguard with white-black-white binding that matches the binding on the top of the guitar" Maybe that explains it?

Lyle - Jazz Guitar Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzGuitarLife
    The description states that: "the original Gibson BJB mini-humbucker pickup and pickguard-mounted volume control has been replaced with a floating Bartolini Jazz pickup, mounted to a custom ebony pickguard with white-black-white binding that matches the binding on the top of the guitar" Maybe that explains it?

Lyle - Jazz Guitar Life
    A bjb is a floater too.

User Info Menu

Gibson marketing at its most creative best.

Whatever name is assigned, this appears to be a very fine jazz box.

User Info Menu

Herb was getting royalties from the ES-165. I presume Gibson wanted to see how the model would sell with a floater and Herb agreed (I doubt that they would make a major change to an Artist model without the consent of the artist). Herb played the early version on his gigs. By the time of the change, Herb was no longer gigging.

If you listen to the videos with the later model made by our very own Max405, it is seems to be a very nice sounding jazz guitar (I admit that could be more a product of Max405's playing than the guitar itself).

User Info Menu

A bjb is a floater too.
    Ahhh...good to know

Lyle - Jazz Guitar Life

User Info Menu

Thank you Bro.
    That was a beautiful guitar. I loved it because it had a sound all its own. And it was a GREAT acoustic guitar.
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Herb was getting royalties from the ES-165. I presume Gibson wanted to see how the model would sell with a floater and Herb agreed (I doubt that they would make a major change to an Artist model without the consent of the artist). Herb played the early version on his gigs. By the time of the change, Herb was no longer gigging.

If you listen to the videos with the later model made by our very own Max405, it is seems to be a very nice sounding jazz guitar (I admit that could be more a product of Max405's playing than the guitar itself).

User Info Menu

If I didn't have one already I would be jumping down there to pick this one up. I would have to see the neck depth though. Supposedly they thinned them out around that time. I have both Herb Ellis models and was playing the 490r last night. I often wonder if I should just ditch everything else and just keep the Herb Ellis models that I have. It makes too much sense so I probably won't do it. ;(

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Thank you Bro.
    That was a beautiful guitar. I loved it because it had a sound all its own. And it was a GREAT acoustic guitar.
    JD
    Joe,

The one at Gryphon isn't your old guitar is it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Joe,

The one at Gryphon isn't your old guitar is it?
    Hi Lammie,
    No it is not. Although, my old one is nearby in San Fran.
    My old one was a lighter color, and still had the BJB Pickup. I think the removal of the BJB should result in a price reduction.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Hi Lammie,
    No it is not. Although, my old one is nearby in San Fran.
    My old one was a lighter color, and still had the BJB Pickup. I think the removal of the BJB should result in a price reduction.
    JD
    It's a great pickup, for sure. My HE floater is pretty well quilted but of the darker more conventional burst flavor. I do like the lighter bursts but mine was also only $1800 when I bought it a while back. Pretty much mint, too. Really happy with it.

User Info Menu

Is that black case really the original Gibson case?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wengr
    Is that black case really the original Gibson case?
    Yes. the Es-165 came with a faux alligator case.

BTW, I agree with Max405 that the swapped out pickup does reduce the value of this guitar, but I also feel that Bartolini pickups make great jazz pickups.

User Info Menu

Yeah, it might be very difficult to find a BJB to get it back to original but the Bartolini probably sounds pretty decent in its own right. My 490r came with a brown case. My BJB came with an alligator case. Pretty sure both cases were original to the guitars. Besides everything else I find wonderful about these guitars is that they make me improve. Of course I always want to improve my playing. It's a journey and a long one at that for me. But these guitars give me the immediate feedback that improvement is not just possible but actually happening while playing them. And it's not about aesthetics. It is just some kind of physical and emotional attachment. For me there is no adapting to them. They adapt to me and let me be me. (Feel free to use any of this in an acceptance speech for some kind of award.)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

did anyone remember how much was the es-165? missed it by 10 days. dang it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tungx2
    did anyone remember how much was the es-165? missed it by 10 days. dang it
    I'm not sure but I think around US$2,300?