Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I really like this one. It is the perfect mix of old school and new school in my view. And Dave's price is not too painful for what it is.

The description states it was a 'prototype'. Some ideas were carried over to the full (limited) run of Gibson's Solid Formed archtops, but for some reason they never put a decent pickguard on them. Thankfully the prototype pictured above has a very nice guard.

User Info Menu

And a very nice L4/L5CES style tailpiece. The regular production ones were equipped with a 3-rhombus crossbar tailpiece.

User Info Menu

That looks nice and should be a nice guitar.

Just a dumb question: how do they form the top? Is it a thin solid sheet which is soaked or wetted down, then pressed in a heated mold?

I have a Harmony which is a pressed solid top. It has a very resonant sound, but I would imagine not as "toneful" as a skillfully carved top.

User Info Menu

Okay I’m assuming the Biltoft was installed by a previous owner? Gorgeous guitar. But I already own a 17” Florentine.

2019 Gibson 17" Solid Formed Prototype 1. 95.-52f7370b-57dd-46e1-91dc-a39a99a340e2-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Okay I’m assuming the Biltoft was installed by a previous owner?
    I guess so as he would the pickguard.

User Info Menu

Dang, that checks a lot of boxes on the "stuff i think is cool" checklist.

User Info Menu

The Biltoft was definitely added by a post-production owner. This one and the other variations were made around 2014, but sold to Dave a couple of years ago. I’m glad to see that they have it listed as a solid formed prototype this time. The first time around they were just listed as archtop prototypes.

The production run guitars can be quite nice for sure. The ones I have played were very well made and were really good as acoustic archtops.

User Info Menu

Not sure why Gibson would put a gold L5 tailpiece on a guitar with chrome tuners and bridge adjuster wheels.. Mmmm.. if Gibson didn’t do it then that’s a heck of an upgrade on a $3,000 guitar. That tailpiece alone is almost 1/3rd the price. Unless it’s a knock off.
    That cutaway would sure make the upper 20-22 frets more accessible than the Venetian cutaway did.
    JD

User Info Menu

The neck is too long...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Not sure why Gibson would put a gold L5 tailpiece on a guitar with chrome tuners and bridge adjuster wheels.. Mmmm.. if Gibson didn’t do it then that’s a heck of an upgrade on a $3,000 guitar. That tailpiece alone is almost 1/3rd the price. Unless it’s a knock off.
    That cutaway would sure make the upper 20-22 frets more accessible than the Venetian cutaway did.
    JD
    That’s funny, it appears silver on my phone?

User Info Menu

That tailpiece could be the jazzguitar forum's version of "the dress" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress
    Imo it's chrome, reflecting a brown floor/surrounding like the tuners angled to the floor do (same color)

User Info Menu

Talked with Dave this morning about this beauty. In the process of working out the deal. The shipping situation has me a bit nervous(I’ll be sending one of mine to him as well) but I’m really smitten with this one. Already love the Biltoft CC I put on my DA so this one kinda pushed me over the edge. Wish me luck...

User Info Menu

The tail appears to be a knockoff. No engraving, and a plain wood badge.

User Info Menu

The tailpiece is Gibson. They used the same on the green and copper colored 2017 L5 Studio model.

User Info Menu

Wow Vin, its amazing the stuff you pick out.
    And yes 2b, I stand corrected, it is a silver tailpiece, not Gold.
    Esport, I really hope you enjoy the guitar.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    That looks nice and should be a nice guitar.

Just a dumb question: how do they form the top? Is it a thin solid sheet which is soaked or wetted down, then pressed in a heated mold?

I have a Harmony which is a pressed solid top. It has a very resonant sound, but I would imagine not as "toneful" as a skillfully carved top.
    It's all in the bracing. That and selecting the finest straight grained spruce for the top. IMHO.

User Info Menu

Wow Vin, its amazing the stuff you pick out.
    And yes 2b, I stand corrected, it is a silver tailpiece, not Gold.
    Esport, I really hope you enjoy the guitar.
    Joe D
    Thanks, Joe. Hopefully nothing spoils the deal. Seems to be good to go. Once it gets here, I’m sure it’ll be a gem. Regrettably, I can’t play it like you did JSjr but I’ll do my best to improve while using your vids as inspirado!

User Info Menu

Naaaa.. you got me bro.
    Something about getting a new guitar. Like Stringswinger always says, it will inspire you and make you play your very best.
    This one looks like it will be real nice right out of the box. That tailpiece will enhance the sound, I’m telling you. I think you did really good with that guitar.
    Enjoy and have fun. That’s what’s it’s all about.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Naaaa.. you got me bro.
    Something about getting a new guitar. Like Stringswinger always says, it will inspire you and make you play your very best.
    This one looks like it will be real nice right out of the box. That tailpiece will enhance the sound, I’m telling you. I think you did really good with that guitar.
    Enjoy and have fun. That’s what’s it’s all about.
    Joe D
    Thanks, Joe. Hope it lives up to the expectations. On paper, it sure hits the mark. It being a prototype has me just slightly anxious since I don’t really know if the construction was an intermediate stage where they were figuring out the “right recipe”. Dave’s shop knows what they’re doing so that alleviates a lot of stress over the decision. Best case scenario, it’s way more guitar than my level of play can fully exploit.

User Info Menu

I just wanted to add some words of encouragement, I bought one of these guitars recently, mine is in the trans black finish, it is awesome.

I wanted something to play acoustically, and it excels at that. I have removed the electrics and pick-guard as I don't need them, but everything sounded great through the amp.
    It has the best neck of any guitar I have ever played, acoustically it has a really nice warm voice, resonant and hard to describe but almost swirly like a natural reverb thing going on.

I love mine, and hope everything works out for you.

I picked it up the day of Prince Philips the Duke of Edinburgh funeral, so have named it "Duke" I had never named a guitar before but this one deserves a name because it has personality.

2019 Gibson 17" Solid Formed Prototype 1. 95.-duke-jpg
    Last edited by andyb; 05-09-2021 at 04:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    I just wanted to add some words of encouragement, I bought one of these guitars recently, mine is in the trans black finish, it is awesome.

I wanted something to play acoustically, and it excels at that. I have removed the electrics and pick-guard as I don't need them, but everything sounded great through the amp.
    It has the best neck of any guitar I have ever played, acoustically it has a really nice warm voice, resonant and hard to describe but almost swirly like a natural reverb thing going on.

I love mine, and hope everything works out for you.

I picked it up the day of Prince Philips the Duke of Edinburgh funeral, so have named it "Duke" I had never named a guitar before but this one deserves a name because it has personality.

2019 Gibson 17" Solid Formed Prototype 1. 95.-duke-jpg
    Looks really nice!

User Info Menu

I’ve secured the deal but now I’m just waiting for a new case to arrive so I can ship my guitar to Dave, safely. I MIGHT post my EXL-1CC for sale after putting the SF through the paces. But... That upgraded DA is so good...it’ll be a hard sell but hopefully the SF will outshine it and I can get down to a Tele, 1 archtop and my Cordoba. Waiting is the hardest part.

User Info Menu

Shipped my guitar off to Dave today. First time I’ve ever done that and hopefully I handled it properly. I paid for an appropriate amount of insurance. It was expensive but I wasn’t gonna send it without it. I’m really excited to get my hands on the SF and hope it’s as nice as it seems. It’s a bit unnerving to take the plunge on a guitar without spending a bit of time with it first and the guitar I sent has substantial personal value. Overall, though, I’m excited and can’t wait to have the SF in hand!

User Info Menu

Dave received my guitar safely and has shipped out the SF. I should get it mid week. I’ll start a new post once it arrives and give my initial impression of it. I’m beyond excited.