Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 27 of 27

User Info Menu

I find myself in the fortunate situation of having 2 fantastic ES-350's, a sunburst from 1949 and a blonde ES-350N (yeah I know that's redundant) from 1950. I want to sell the 1949 sunburst. It has the original P-90's which just sound fabulous, especially through a vintage tube amp with reverb. The pot on the treble bout has been rewired so that instead of cutting out at the midpoint between the neck and bridge pickup it is a nice blend. I almost exclusively play through the neck pickup. The volume and treble pots have also been replaced- originals are all in the case. The HSC is the original Gibson case and is in much better shape than the one for the blonde one. The guitar is currently at Austin Vintage Guitar: Store - Austin Vintage Guitars.
    I bought this originally in 2015 from Joe Vinikow: c.1948 Gibson ES-350. Joe's listing is a little confusing in that he lists it both as a 1948 in the search but as a 1949 on the webpage. It has stayed in its guitar stand and has not ventured out for gigs, etc. so very little change from Joe's photos. I would sell it on the forum for less than what is being asked for at AVG but would add shipping. Here is a photo of it hanging in the preeminent spot at Austin Vintage Guitars. I couldn't figure out how to rotate it but you should be able to copy the image and rotate it.
    1949 Gibson ES-350-img_0301-jpg
    Dan

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar!

User Info Menu

A beautiful guitar like this deserves to be shown upright ;-)

User Info Menu

That's an awesome guitar, probably the ideal p90 jazz guitar. Unfortunately due to stupid physical hobbies (5 years of muay thai) and my day job (hunching over a macbook) my shoulders are not into 17" bodies.

User Info Menu

Is the cutaway original? It doesn't seem the same profile as a typical Gibson round cutaway. I'm not familiar with the history of the ES350 so I can't really say. The cutaway just looks a little different.

User Info Menu

Here’s a good angle pic of Tal Farlow’s 350 that shows yep they did have an odd ‘non-Gibson’ cutaway. Looks like an original.

Google Image Result for https://resources.tidal.com/images/fbf36716/f34b/440c/b78a/1c1b6eb7f880/750x750.jpg

(The site has an aggressive copyright protection scheme, so you can’t cut copy or save but you can follow the link.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter View Post
    Here’s a good angle pic of Tal Farlow’s 350 that shows yep they did have an odd ‘non-Gibson’ cutaway. Looks like an original.

Google Image Result for https://resources.tidal.com/images/fbf36716/f34b/440c/b78a/1c1b6eb7f880/750x750.jpg

(The site has an aggressive copyright protection scheme, so you can’t cut copy or save but you can follow the link.)
    That's really interesting. I see also on the Archtop.com listing that evidently there was some experimentation on the shape of the cutaway. That's fascinating.

User Info Menu

One could also say.... that’s Gibson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay View Post
    A beautiful guitar like this deserves to be shown upright ;-)

FWIW, I know Dan. He's a great, upstanding, honest guy. I've also played this guitar. It's an excellent example of a vintage 2 P90 350.

User Info Menu

Good eye Lawson, it's a little different than my '47

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Ooo Tommo how’d you do that? I tried a couple of different things but all I got was a blacked out image.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter View Post
    Ooo Tommo how’d you do that? I tried a couple of different things but all I got was a blacked out image.
    Open image in new tab, then copy image and just paste into your reply without going through that image icon in the menu.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    Is the cutaway original? It doesn't seem the same profile as a typical Gibson round cutaway. I'm not familiar with the history of the ES350 so I can't really say. The cutaway just looks a little different.
    I noticed immediately that this was an early ES 350. My 1952 ES 350 has the normal rounded cutaway. Maybe they were experimenting with cutaways earlier ....

DB

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper View Post
    I noticed immediately that this was an early ES 350. My 1952 ES 350 has the normal rounded cutaway. Maybe they were experimenting with cutaways earlier ....

DB
    Remember that the cutaway was brand new that year!!!

Dan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dcrowe View Post
    Remember that the cutaway was brand new that year!!!

Dan
    Actually the cutaway on acoustic Gibsons was introduced in '39 and on electric 350s in '47

User Info Menu

price?

User Info Menu

OMG, that's like one of the Holy Grails. We should ask DB to chime in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    price?
    The old saying, "If you have to ask, then ,,,,"

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    price?
    I am asking $7100 for forum members ($7399 at Austin Vintage Guitar) plus shipping.

Dan

User Info Menu

Guys, I know Dan. You won’t meet a nicer guy.
    There is something to be said for dealing with someone who is a genuinely good person at heart. That mojo carries on with the guitar.
    He cares that you are happy with the guitar you buy from him.
    Good Luck Dan.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Tal's guitar may have already been modified by the time that photo was taken; he replaced the P90 neck pickup with a CC but kept the bridge P90; the knob on the cutaway has been replaced with a switch and he has two volume and two tone knobs. According to his biography, that was the first new guitar he owned and was given to him by Gibson. As far as I am concerned, anyone with an ES-350 is in very, very good company. Good luck with the sale, Dan!

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    Guys, I know Dan. You won’t meet a nicer guy.
    There is something to be said for dealing with someone who is a genuinely good person at heart. That mojo carries on with the guitar.
    He cares that you are happy with the guitar you buy from him.
    Good Luck Dan.
    Joe D
    You're best, Joe. Thanks for your kind words. You reward us all every time you post another beautiful rendition of standards on one of your outstanding guitars. Of course I am a bit fond of the WesMo....

Dan

User Info Menu

It's priced @ $7299 @ the shop.
    glwts

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    It's priced @ $7299 @ the shop.
    glwts
    You are so right. My grande error. Accepting offers!!

User Info Menu

GLWTS. Superb guitar.

User Info Menu

Bump for a great guitar and a great, honorable seller!