Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Here is a local CL find:

Gibson L5C - musical instruments - by owner - sale

I have no association with the seller but thought you folks might like to see this. He wants $5,500 and has the original tailpiece. Looks really nice.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bflat
    Here is a local CL find:

I have no association with the seller but thought you folks might like to see this. He wants $5,500 and has the original tailpiece. Looks really nice.
    Lot’s of modifications though.

User Info Menu

I dont see a price ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bflat
    Here is a local CL find:

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    I dont see a price ?
    I sent an email asking and the reply gave the asking price of $5500. Too rich for my blood but it looks in better shape than me considering I am only one year older than the guitar!

User Info Menu

A completely ruined L5c. It may very well be a guitar that plays and sounds good but trying to sell something like that is hopeless. Since no association with sale by forum members I can make comments and this type of thing is the worst. I have no idea the value of the guitar but to me nothing as it is a modification zoo. The benedetto tailpiece being the craziest thing since the L5 tailpiece gives the guitar its sound characteristic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    A completely ruined L5c. It may very well be a guitar that plays and sounds good but trying to sell something like that is hopeless. Since no association with sale by forum members I can make comments and this type of thing is the worst. I have no idea the value of the guitar but to me nothing as it is a modification zoo. The benedetto tailpiece being the craziest thing since the L5 tailpiece gives the guitar its sound characteristic.
    I don't know about the value of this guitar, but I agree 100% about the iconic tailpiece. That hunka-hunka-hunka brass is a substantial part of the L-5 tone.

User Info Menu

He has the original tailpiece. You can just re-install it...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    I agree with the deacon. It’s all messed up and will always be a tough sell. I have learned that it’s always better to spend more money and only buy guitars without issues. Then, if you change your mind, it’s always easy to sell . Saving a few bucks by buying a seriously modified guitar is not a good idea.
    Keith

User Info Menu

What’s “all messed up”?
    Seriously I see the tailpiece change, but what else is so wrong?
    I ask out of ignorance on my part!
    d

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter View Post
    What’s “all messed up”?
    Seriously I see the tailpiece change, but what else is so wrong?
    I ask out of ignorance on my part!
    d
    Someone cut a hole in the top for a humbucker

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    Someone cut a hole in the top for a humbucker
    That is the biggest issue. I guess the original owner was a player and didn’t care about resale value when he or she decided to have a humbucker cut into the top. If only they put a floater on there instead.

User Info Menu

What would an un-modified 1970 L5C go for?

If the bracing isn't cut, this could be a nice guitar with the electronics.

User Info Menu

What's the rumpus?
    Looks nicely done.
    Throw the original tailpiece back on and it's just a WES conversion.
    No crime to counter-offer below his 5.5K ask.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 04-19-2021 at 02:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    What's the rumpus?
    Looks nicely done.
    Throw the original tailpiece back on and it's just a WES conversion.
    No crime to counter-offer below his 5.5K ask.
    A WES conversion wouldn’t be the worst modification in the world if it was done right. Unfortunately, the person who did this didn’t take the time to get it right. The pickup is too far back from the fingerboard and the knobs are positioned incorrectly/too close together. It will never look right. I guess it could be a useful player at the right price, but it will always have a story.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Pretty ironic turning it into one of the most iconic guitars on the forum (Wesmo) makes it a player special. If it plays and sounds great (and no cut braces) why devalue?

Here is a story with an appropriate moral:

I had a ‘90 Porsche 944 S2 Cab that i restored. The former owner a bale bondsman in Atlantic City (!) had installed a mostly show gaggle of components for lo/hi pass filters in the door. Lit of course lol. I ripped all that out. Drove that sucker into the ground, put 250K on it. Still purred but the problem:
    When he did the door work he cut the supports for the window motors and the door locks. So we kept jury rigging till the whole door was disintegrating and sold it.

MORAL OF THIS STORY:
    Cut Ye Not a Brace!)))

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bflat View Post
    That is the biggest issue. I guess the original owner was a player and didn’t care about resale value when he or she decided to have a humbucker cut into the top. If only they put a floater on there instead.
    The hole in the top no big deal(to a player)...the braces cut to fit a humbucker, pretty big deal and make the top potentially unstable.

User Info Menu

A simple photo would show the truth under the hood.
    If I was in the market, I certainly wouldn't buy it from a distance without that and several more pix, along with a pleasant chat or two with the owner. Maybe get it picked up by a local contact and checked out by a local pro if possible, OTOH, it's on CL, so who knows what the seller wants to do to assist buyers.

User Info Menu

Yes, I'm curious if the braces are touched for a humbucker. I've found posts where a Charlie Christian pickup will necessitate cutting into braces but a CC pickup is 1.5" wider than a humbucker.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HeyNow
    Yes, I'm curious if the braces are touched for a humbucker. I've found posts where a Charlie Christian pickup will necessitate cutting into braces but a CC pickup is 1.5" wider than a humbucker.
    I was told it was impossible to route a humbucker into an L5 without modifying the braces by Campellone himself....that said I’ve owned a few Gibson archtops from that period and I can say for a fact the SAME model could have very different bracing....I guess depending on who did the build or how much they drank that day. LOL.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chris236 View Post
    I was told it was impossible to route a humbucker into an L5 without modifying the braces by Campellone himself....that said I’ve owned a few Gibson archtops from that period and I can say for a fact the SAME model could have very different bracing....I guess depending on who did the build or how much they drank that day. LOL.
    Standard bracing pattern on an L5 acoustic puts the brace bars around 2.5" apart where the neck pickup would be - not far enough apart to be clear of the rout for a humbucking pickup. However, I had occasion to see one of Wes's original L5 guitars (the one with the "heart" inlay) when it was for sale at Mandolin Bros. after it was restored by Gibson - it appeared to me (from the brace placement) that the guitar was originally an acoustic model, with the humbucker added later - however, the pickup rout did not cut into the braces (though it was very close) - so evidently there can be some variation in brace placement among L5 acoustic models, though I'd guess it wouldn't be anything radical.

The L5CES models are another story - while the acoustic models typically have a diverging brace pattern (close together at the neck end and growing farther apart towards the tailpiece), the CES models I've seen have braces that are perfectly parallel and far enough apart to accommodate the pickup routs. They also have a number of more delicate horizontal secondary braces running off the main braces.

User Info Menu

Moral of the story Have Mark Campellone make you a proper L-5 C or WES style instrument and be forever happy!

Love your guitars Mark Campellone !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone View Post
    Standard bracing pattern on an L5 acoustic puts the brace bars around 2.5" apart where the neck pickup would be - not far enough apart to be clear of the rout for a humbucking pickup. However, I had occasion to see one of Wes's original L5 guitars (the one with the "heart" inlay) when it was for sale at Mandolin Bros. after it was restored by Gibson - it appeared to me (from the brace placement) that the guitar was originally an acoustic model, with the humbucker added later - however, the pickup rout did not cut into the braces (though it was very close) - so evidently there can be some variation in brace placement among L5 acoustic models, though I'd guess it wouldn't be anything radical.

The L5CES models are another story - while the acoustic models typically have a diverging brace pattern (close together at the neck end and growing farther apart towards the tailpiece), the CES models I've seen have braces that are perfectly parallel and far enough apart to accommodate the pickup routs. They also have a number of more delicate horizontal secondary braces running off the main braces.
    Some Gibson top bracing:
    Last edited by Hammertone; 04-27-2021 at 04:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    Some Gibson top bracing:
    Ha - figured I could count on you, Hammer, to supply some illustrative photos : )