Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I’m a big fan of the Gibson Johnny Smith model. I searched for a long time before I was able to find a nice one a few months ago. I love everything about it. It’s no wonder that many of the modern archtops being built today are based on this iconic design. I noticed that Archtop.com currently has two of them for sale. Both are described as being in great shape and are quite reasonably priced. I have no connection to the seller or either guitar.
    1973 Gibson Johnny Smith
    1969 Gibson Johnny Smith Double

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Make that three!

I happened to see this at my local Mom & Pop store a few weeks ago. No financial interest.

Vintage Gibson 1976 Johnny Smith Hollowbody Electric Guitar Sunburst (USED) x0251

User Info Menu

Since no has connection to the seller I will say the price is a bit more in line than the craziness of Reverb. I don't see those prices as being particularly good though and still over priced but I could eat my words. My guess is we shall never know. I in looking at them the clear winner is the more expensive flamed one but I don't want 2pickups. Here is a case that if the owner of this guitar knew what I would give for the Smith they would clearly get a more money in hand...........But of course that is the way it works.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Since no has connection to the seller I will say the price is a bit more in line than the craziness of Reverb. I don't see those prices as being particularly good though and still over priced but I could eat my words. My guess is we shall never know. I in looking at them the clear winner is the more expensive flamed one but I don't want 2pickups. Here is a case that if the owner of this guitar knew what I would give for the Smith they would clearly get a more money in hand...........But of course that is the way it works.
    I agree that the older/flamed one is the nicer one of the two. I don’t like double pickup versions either, but that is such an easy thing to change. I converted mine from a double to a single, for just the cost of a new pickguard. I thought the prices on these two were reasonable, but I guess you might find a better deal if you can find a private seller. Reverb prices on these things seem totally out of line.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Hi, I'm recently after purchasing the JS version as Legrand, great guitar ..
    Attached Images Attached Images Two Gibson Johnny Smiths!-20210415_115026-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    I agree that the older/flamed one is the nicer one of the two. I don’t like double pickup versions either, but that is such an easy thing to change. I converted mine from a double to a single, for just the cost of a new pickguard. I thought the prices on these two were reasonable, but I guess you might find a better deal if you can find a private seller. Reverb prices on these things seem totally out of line.
    Keith
    George Gruhn as a Super V ces on his sight right now for $6000. Now that is a great price and will sell. Funny I think better than an L5ces but for some reason cheaper. If if was an acoustic I would be a thinking serious.

User Info Menu

8 grand for a 70s Smith?
    well ok then.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    8 grand for a 70s Smith?
    well ok then.
    Didn't an early 60s one sell for 7kish on this forum just a few weeks ago?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Didn't an early 60s one sell for 7kish on this forum just a few weeks ago?
    I don't know what it sold for, but I could easily see a 60s model bringing that much

User Info Menu

I don't know what it sold for, but I could easily see a 60s model bringing that much
    Right. A 70s for 8k is more of a stretch.

User Info Menu

Both of those are nice, and I am with Keith, the Double is just not up my alley.
    But that 73 is beautiful. Just like my old baby. I miss my GJS every single day.
    I am not sure if I had the $8,000 to spare that I would pay that much though.
    But one of the greatest guitars ever built, should go for an amount that only the upper echelon can afford. Plain and simple.
    That leaves me out..
    JD

User Info Menu

I happen to also notice George Gruhn has Vince Gill's L5c for $8500. It is an outstanding guitar go look at the puppy. Now I really could care less Vince owned the guitar and wonder what is would go for if he was not the owner. Tells me that a good L5 should not be anywhere near the prices I see asked. It also tells me a Gibson JS in good shape is not nearly worth what anyone is getting. I think a very nice JS Gibson a selling price is $6300 to maybe $6800. I have no idea what these dealers are getting but my mind is made up they not anything of what they ask.

Fair dealers usually start with at least a ballpark fair price. Those are the ones I go to and keep my eyes on. Wintermoon seems to think along my lines and he seems to be sharp on Gibson and details.

User Info Menu

I've had a number of Smiths--this 1969 model was the best I've owed and the only one I kept for many years:

Two Gibson Johnny Smiths!-jsd-sunburst002-jpg

If the '69 in the OP is anywhere near as good, it's a great guitar.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

I know nothing of prices, but I do hope these guitars go to JGO members, present or future.

User Info Menu

George Gruhn as a Super V ces on his sight right now for $6000. Now that is a great price and will sell. Funny I think better than an L5ces but for some reason cheaper. If if was an acoustic I would be a thinking serious.
    Whoa that Super V is... amazing. And the price is right on the bullseye. I doubt it will last a week.

User Info Menu

In the early-mid 70s Gibson decided that 'deluxe maple' meant smack on the quarter rather than slab-cut with deep flame. I love that look and the '73 JS has it in spades:

User Info Menu

I was selling the '64 Johnny Smith here before. It remains unsold but it also has a repair.

I'd take it over these two any day though....

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jfcx
    That’s a really nice one.
    Keith

User Info Menu

It’s a “ second” and priced accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk