Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I’m looking for an honest player Gibson es-150 with a pre-war Charlie Christian pickup that is ready to play. It doesn’t have to be perfect, but I would not want anything refinished. Prefer 1 3/4” nut, original airline tweed case, and notched b-string pickup, but those aren’t deal breakers.

[UPDATE - Thanks to this post here on the forum, I found a great guitar from another forum user (who I will allow to identify himself if he chooses), and we were able to do a direct deal that is very much to my satisfaction. As a result, I am no longer looking]
    Last edited by lorenkii; 04-30-2021 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Bought the item I was seeking

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello,
    Nice project although they are hard to find. I feel their price is rising also, at least from a European perspective.

A Roy Smeck, identically hard to find, might be an alternative.

Recording King ROY SMECK - A104 1937 sunburst | Fenderparts & | Reverb
    Last edited by Fred Archtop; 04-12-2021 at 09:13 AM.

User Info Menu

wow is this the old lorenkii from back in the day? if so, long time no see!
    aloha.....

User Info Menu

Ha, I’m still around, lurking about...there are really only so many of us

i’ve thought about a Roy smeck, or something similar, but I’m just fine to wait for something exactly right. Man, I thought I made a killing when I sold an es-150 w/cc pup + airline tweed case and matching eh-150 amp for like $2500 in y2k or so. I’m just buying back gear I already sold at this point

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lorenkii View Post
    Man, I thought I made a killing when I sold an es-150 w/cc pup + airline tweed case and matching eh-150 amp for like $2500 in y2k or so. I’m just buying back gear I already sold at this point
    There is exactly this type of gear for sale, close to where I live, in Paris. Prewar ES-150 in very good conditions + airline tweed case + EH-150. And they are asking 10 k€ for the whole of it...Nahhhhhhhhh man, that's insane price...A converted L50 can be acquired for about 3 k€ here.

User Info Menu

I’m just so curious, did you score the one at retrofret? That one did not last long.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I’m just so curious, did you score the one at retrofret? That one did not last long.
    I thought about it, but I was indecisive. The price was really high considering it had pretty major cracks that were not repaired great, so I didn't jump on it. Retrofret gets some good stuff and I've been very happy with both what I've bought from them and sold to them, but it's definitely a "full retail price" situation in most cases. Many times that's worth it to me, especially due to the shipping expense and hassle out here in Hawaii, but the cracks were pretty significant, so I was okay to let it pass.

User Info Menu

Fred is true, those Recording King are extremely similar to ES150 and they sound great
    Gibson ES-150 Charlie Christian-charliesmeck-jpg

User Info Menu

The Recording King (built for Montgomery Ward, I believe) does not have a truss rod.

User Info Menu

Right! Some years ago luthier Franck Cheval refretted my Recording King and made me a beautiful repro pickguard. He certified that its big triangular neck (just the same as on a ES150 without the truss rod) could easily withstand a set of Thomastik JS112 strings. He was true.

User Info Menu

Incoming! (via the forum)