Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 41

User Info Menu

I've been running my guitar through Reaper's 'ReaShift' plug in (with some comp and EQ) and the sound is pretty good but not quite good enough. I want to try using a bass, but I don't want to invest much in one. As long as it stays in tune and has a playable neck---it'll never be played through an amp or live, just something for making demos at home.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

blurb says it all

The Squier Bronco Bass is a great pick for guitarists who occasionally need a bass, younger beginners, smaller players, or for anyone who likes the feel of a short-scale (30") bass. It tunes easily and sounds full and rich, thanks to its single-coil pickup, maple neck, die-cast tuners and solid agathis body.

around 199$

cheers

ps- a pal of mine who has a pretty nice collection of expensive bass guitars (german hofs, guild, fender etc) bought one on a lark to keep at his job...he loves it!
    Last edited by neatomic; 03-31-2021 at 01:50 PM. Reason: ps-

User Info Menu

I really like the Ibanez bass necks because they're very similar to guitar necks, that is they're thin. Very comfortable to play.

User Info Menu

Try the Höfner Ignition Beatle bass. Easy 30” scale for guitarists and great sound at low cost. Put La Bella black tapewounds on and you have a sound made in heaven

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys.
    I've also reached out to Joel at Sweetwater.
    I'll have to get something or other.
    All these suggestions sound good.

User Info Menu

i agree the ibanez basses are nice.

used fender jazz (or pbass) mexican or squire vintage modern

a local music shop will probably have a perfectly good entry level electric bass used or new. don't worry so much about the name, see what's comfortable in your hands.

i have a p bass but the neck is more like a J. classic sound and great for recording.

i also have a digitech ricochet octave pedal, that produces a very convincing bass tone using guitar.

User Info Menu

j bass and precision are great..but long scale...not as easy for a guitarist to adjust to...why short scales are great...plus they have their own unique thump...hofner ignition ^ both violin and club bass are nice but about double the $$$ of squier bronco...ss dano's are great too..but also more costly

ibanez has a very small scale bass...27" or so...thats kinda fun..but it's not all that thumpy...need at least 30" scale for deep bass

keep us posted on what joel @sw says

cheers

User Info Menu

I say get the full size bass.
    Attached Images Attached Images Cheap bass (for making demos at home)-ib-bass-jpg 

User Info Menu

^ nice looking bass...

but can't help chuckle...body is poplar...a pale plain sort of wood...but mahogany stain oil really livens it up!...bad body joint aside

still stickin with short scale tho! easier on the hands...and as first bass...esp with flats!!!

plus they can thump like a standup

when keith richards was putting together the band for the chuck berry film- hail hail r&r...he chose joey spampinato of nrbq for bass...saying he sounded more like an upright than anybody...true!!..he used a ss dano longhorn style with flats...hard to beat tone

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 03-31-2021 at 10:53 PM.

User Info Menu

I’ve used a Squier Affinity PJ for several years and like it a lot...especially for the $$. I added a tort pg and some EMG Geezers and with a set of flats it’s a sweet bass, indeed. It’s got the fatness of the split coil and the growliness of the bridge J. Covers most bases without spending much.

User Info Menu

Gretsch has a short-scale sells for around $120, 1 and 2 pu models. Excellent recording bass.

User Info Menu

I love my Kala u-bass. Full hollow body baritone ukulele bass with polypropylene strings. Sounds like an upright, light as a feather, built-in tuner.

User Info Menu

Sounds like an upright? Like that's a good thing?

I'm not sure Mark's going for an upright tone. He's going to use the bass for songwriting, recording demos of songs he writes which are usually not jazz. Maybe a more versatile tone would be better.

For what i do, I don't want an upright tone. I like the notes more defined, clearer sounding. I'm not a fan of the upright tone. However. Mark's opinion may differ from mine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    ^ nice looking bass...

but can't help chuckle...body is poplar...a pale plain sort of wood...but mahogany stain oil really livens it up!...bad body joint aside

still stickin with short scale tho! easier on the hands...and as first bass...esp with flats!!!

plus they can thump like a standup

when keith richards was putting together the band for the chuck berry film- hail hail r&r...he chose joey spampinato of nrbq for bass...saying he sounded more like an upright than anybody...true!!..he used a ss dano longhorn style with flats...hard to beat tone

cheers
    Bad body joint? Not my area of expertise, can you elaborate?

User Info Menu

This could be useful:

The winner Yamaha TRBX304, 2nd the more pricey Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass. The less expensive option... the Cort Action.

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys.

I was talking with my wife about this over dinner last night and she said, "Buy the bass. Just buy the bass. I told you, buy the bass. I don't know why you didn't buy it before." (She thinks I hesitate to buy things for myself that cost more than a book.)

I bought EZ Bass, a software program. It's actually good---real bass sounds made by pro players playing real bass guitars---but it's (for me) way more complicated than using a drum machine.

Would like to make it work---for one thing, it plays bass much better than I do. ;o)

But when I'm writing a song and coming up with a bassline, I really want to 'hit it and quit it'. I don't want to have to switch to programming mode. That really ebbs my flow, ya' know?

So it looks like a real bass shall soon come my way. I do like the idea of a short-scale neck. I had a Fender Precision years (-decades?) ago and never felt comfortable with it. It was just too different.

User Info Menu

Buy the Bass!

User Info Menu

One of my drum machines, a Yamaha something or other, has a feature where the pads can be assigned notes and just played like a keyboard. There are multiple bass voices to choose from. Might be worth a little research.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Sounds like an upright? Like that's a good thing?

I'm not sure Mark's going for an upright tone. He's going to use the bass for songwriting, recording demos of songs he writes which are usually not jazz. Maybe a more versatile tone would be better.

For what i do, I don't want an upright tone. I like the notes more defined, clearer sounding. I'm not a fan of the upright tone. However. Mark's opinion may differ from mine.
    well it is a jazz forum!! haha

but never meant to suggest that short scale basses only sound like standups..that takes dedicated effort..the right set-up, strings, settings and most importantly- playing technique...i just find short scales the best for that, if you want to go down that path

otherwise so many great bassists and recordings have been done with ss basses..and all sound very different...macca, wyman, jack bruce, entwhistle,larry graham, stanley clarke, gary tallent(springsteen), robbie shakespeare, mike watt etc etc ...the short scale length doesn't limit your tonal possibilities

cheers

ps- as per ibanez body joint..purely cosmetic..they used multiple piece poplar body and with transparent stain finish so the pieces are easily visible, and not matched well

User Info Menu

Mark, a while back I was in your shoes, seeking an inexpensive bass for home practice, etc. I ended up with a used Fender Squire Fretless Jazz bass that I really love. It cost around $200. They sell new for a whopping $430. While fretless isn't for everyone, it forced me to work on proper fingering, intonation and tone.

Whatever bass you end up with, one thing you might notice is an improvement in your guitar playing. Bass playing really makes one think. Fretless bass playing gave me a headache (LOL!) until I got used to the 'on the fret line' notation.

Have fun!

Squier Classic Vibe '60s Fretless Jazz Bass 3-Color Sunburst | Guitar Center

User Info Menu

Got an Ibanez at a pawn shop for under $100. You just have to look around.

User Info Menu

The most upright sounding bass I have is a U bass. However, minding its its inferior size, I would not consider it cheap.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    blurb says it all

The Squier Bronco Bass is a great pick for guitarists who occasionally need a bass, younger beginners, smaller players, or for anyone who likes the feel of a short-scale (30") bass. It tunes easily and sounds full and rich, thanks to its single-coil pickup, maple neck, die-cast tuners and solid agathis body.

around 199$

cheers

ps- a pal of mine who has a pretty nice collection of expensive bass guitars (german hofs, guild, fender etc) bought one on a lark to keep at his job...he loves it!
    My Tele is a Squier Affinity, so maybe the neck would be similar???
    I'm sold on the short-scale idea.
    This also comes in Torino Red. (I had a Red Strat once, so a red guitar is not anathema to me.)

User Info Menu

yes the bronco's width at the nut is slightly narrower, like the affinity tele's is...same 9.5 radius...same c shape neck...so i'd say affinity tele and bronco have shared comfort intent...

also thinner lighter weight body like aff. tele has

i thought it would be a good match..and right price...why i recommended!

torino red version is nice!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Mark, a while back I was in your shoes, seeking an inexpensive bass for home practice, etc. I ended up with a used Fender Squire Fretless Jazz bass that I really love. It cost around $200. They sell new for a whopping $430. While fretless isn't for everyone, it forced me to work on proper fingering, intonation and tone.

Whatever bass you end up with, one thing you might notice is an improvement in your guitar playing. Bass playing really makes one think. Fretless bass playing gave me a headache (LOL!) until I got used to the 'on the fret line' notation.

Have fun!

Squier Classic Vibe '60s Fretless Jazz Bass 3-Color Sunburst | Guitar Center
    I had one of those and it felt and sounded great. Up to that point I had no idea that fretless basses required you to play on the fret line and when I got it home, I tuned up and played a few licks and tunes, solo. Liked the sound so I programmed a drum track and laid down a Rhodes track. Went for the bass and immediately thought “it’s already out of tune?”. So dumb.