Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

The Covid-induced market slowdown has enabled me to produce a few custom builds up for grabs. Here's something for the globetrotting or public transit dependent musician: A telescopic 10", max. 100W cab that fits in a cabin bag. It's only 195 mm / under 8" deep when collapsed and weighs a mere 3.8 kg / 8.4 lbs. The speaker is a Jensen N10/100 TR, i.e. Tornado. The design makes it omnidirectional and extremely versatile, thanks to the following features:

- Tone changes with the inner pipe partially extended; i.e. you may fine-tune the cab for a given amp, guitar, venue or music style
    - Removable felt lining and dampening cushion in the inner pipe. Without them, a very loud cab perfect for acoustic guitar, surf, country twang, single-coils overall, even lap steel. With dampening, rounder, darker and jazzier tone for e.g. archtops.
    - Removable wire legs for playing in upright position. A modern take on Johnny Smith's Fountain of Tone, and a revelation for everyone who has tried this position.
    - Dual parallel jacks for daisy-chaining another 8 ohm speaker
    - Also provided (as with every TOOB): magnetic MagLeg, short connecting cable and high quality Velcro-type strips for attaching a micro-amp

Overall, 335 TOOBs have been made to date (in fact, this is #335). Of these, 28 are telescopic guitar and bass units, mainly used by pro musicians all over the world. No two telescopics are exactly the same. This one features a new inner pipe structure, qualifying as a prototype. That, in turn, means I can part with it for substantially less than normally. EUR 379 / 306 (EU / non-EU) plus shipping. Shipping to USA is either cheap and slow (Finnish Post, apx EUR 55) or expensive and fast (UPS, apx EUR 150).

I have no particular amp recommendation, but my previous posts reveal an affinity to the TC Electronic BAM200. Many others, such as Quilter 101R, DV Mark Micro 50 or Milkman are a good fit. And new micro-amps are pouring to the market all the time.

If interested, send me a PM or use the contact form of www.toob.fi.

Cheers,

Markku
    Attached Images Attached Images Just "Finnished": TOOB 10T telescopic guitar cab-toob-10t-335-jpg 
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 03-07-2021 at 01:37 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

nice !

a question Glitterbug,

as you extend the the length of the toob
    do you get more bottom end ?

pingu
    ps still loving my metro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    The Covid-induced market slowdown has enabled me to produce a few custom builds up for grabs. Here's something for the globetrotting or public transit dependent musician: A telescopic 10", max. 100W cab that fits in a cabin bag. It's only 195 mm / under 8" deep when collapsed and weighs a mere 3.8 kg / 8.4 lbs. The speaker is a Jensen N10/100 TR, i.e. Tornado. The design makes it omnidirectional and extremely versatile, thanks to the following features:

- Tone changes with the inner pipe partially extended; i.e. you may fine-tune the cab for a given amp, guitar, venue or music style
    - Removable felt lining and dampening cushion in the inner pipe. Without them, a very loud cab perfect for acoustic guitar, surf, country twang, single-coils overall, even lap steel. With dampening, rounder, darker and jazzier tone for e.g. archtops.
    - Removable wire legs for playing in upright position. A modern take on Johnny Smith's Fountain of Tone, and a revelation for everyone who has tried this position.
    - Dual parallel jacks for daisy-chaining another 8 ohm speaker
    - Also provided (as with every TOOB): magnetic MagLeg, short connecting cable and high quality Velcro-type strips for attaching a micro-amp

Overall, 335 TOOBs have been made to date (in fact, this is #335). Of these, 28 are telescopic guitar and bass units, mainly used by pro musicians all over the world. No two telescopics are exactly the same. This one features a new inner pipe structure, qualifying as a prototype. That, in turn, means I can part with it for substantially less than normally. EUR 379 / 306 (EU / non-EU) plus shipping. Shipping to USA is either cheap and slow (Finnish Post, apx EUR 55) or expensive and fast (UPS, apx EUR 150).

I have no particular amp recommendation, but my previous posts reveal an affinity to the TC Electronic BAM200. Many others, such as Quilter 101R, DV Mark Micro 50 or Milkman are a good fit. And new micro-amps are pouring to the market all the time.

If interested, send me a PM or use the contact form of www.toob.fi.

Cheers,

Markku
    Looks very interesting.

User Info Menu

That looks great Markku !

I very fond of your cabs. My 12J sounds divine with my archtops.

Keep up the good work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    nice !

a question Glitterbug,

as you extend the the length of the toob
    do you get more bottom end ?
    ............ps still loving my metro
    Hi Pingu! Yes, the more extended, the deeper. The difference is not huge. What happens when you adjust the pipe is that intermediate frequencies are eq'd back and forth. I actually haven't done any measurements or deliberate eq tweaks. I also believe that the location of the cab matters, especially if it's near the wall or in the corner. Tone guru Peter Lerche uses his pair of early 10Ts always fully extended. Whenever I play guitar through the 50 mm deeper 12BT (bass), I find that the tone is better when it's not fully extended.

Psst! There's a new Metro-related video on our FB pages and YouTube channel, released today.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the encouragement, Kris, and endorsement, Fred!

User Info Menu

Hi Markku,
    Is it possible endorsement?
    Best
    Kris
    ps.
    I am looking for universal head for nylon strings and hollow-body guitar now.I'm not sure which head will play best with Toob T10?

User Info Menu

You are making some really cool new cabs. For players who want to dive into the micro world, I wish I understood why the jazz guitar micro world has lagged behind the bass amps available. Specifically, I was very disappointed in the reverb in the DV Mark I tried. Nasaly and metallic. Throw a decent reverb chip into one of those micro bass heads and we're good to go without carrying an extra pedal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    You are making some really cool new cabs. For players who want to dive into the micro world, I wish I understood why the jazz guitar micro world has lagged behind the bass amps available. Specifically, I was very disappointed in the reverb in the DV Mark I tried. Nasaly and metallic. Throw a decent reverb chip into one of those micro bass heads and we're good to go without carrying an extra pedal.
    The BAM200 sounds surprisingly good without reverb. I'm repeating myself: if my information is correct, there's a pedalboard amp with reverb in a respected maker's pipeline. The power is said to be equivalent to 22W tube. The question is, will it be voiced for early breakup (major market) or will there be enough clean headroom (us). My experience with Quilter's Interblock 45 is mixed: not enough headroom in testing situations and difficult to find the right position of the mid-EQ, yet no problem whatsoever on small gigs. Has anyone tried the Interbass for guitar?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I think it’s because bass players have gigs and most guitar gear buyers are hobbyists

User Info Menu

Cold. True, but cold.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I think it’s because bass players have gigs and most guitar gear buyers are hobbyists
    I also think that guitar players who are looking for really small amps prefer combos to head/cab combinations. That's been my personal experience and observation, conditioned by living in a place where people often use mass transit rather than cars. Carrying as few items as possible makes a difference.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I also think that guitar players who are looking for really small amps prefer combos to head/cab combinations. That's been my personal experience and observation, conditioned by living in a place where people often use mass transit rather than cars. Carrying as few items as possible makes a difference.

John
    I copy. However, the Metro series was developed following requests from NY jazz guitarist and bassists. With the cab weighing 4-4.5 lbs and a micro-amp under 2 lbs, you are well below any combo on the market, weight wise. Then there's the price. Judging by this Forum's voices, the two really small combos to be considered are Henriksen The Bud, well over a Grand, and DV Mark LJ, a few hundred. Between these, there's a lot of room for an amp/cab combination for one's particular needs. For some, the Bud has redundant features; for others, the LJ doesn't have enough oomph. If plugging in one (amp-cab) or two (reverb-amp-cab) cables is too much trouble, so be it. Again, micro-amps with reverb will be a blessing. The Velcro-type fasteners on each Toob and Metro keep a micro-amp snugly on, so the unit is a de facto combo. Many Toob users never remove the amp from the cab. I do, because I'm constantly testing new combinations. My personal TOOB 12J was made in January 2018. The fastening strips are as new.

User Info Menu

I copy. However, the Metro series was developed following requests from NY jazz guitarist and bassists. With the cab weighing 4-4.5 lbs and a micro-amp under 2 lbs, you are well below any combo on the market, weight wise. Then there's the price. Judging by this Forum's voices, the two really small combos to be considered are Henriksen The Bud, well over a Grand, and DV Mark LJ, a few hundred. Between these, there's a lot of room for an amp/cab combination for one's particular needs. For some, the Bud has redundant features; for others, the LJ doesn't have enough oomph. If plugging in one (amp-cab) or two (reverb-amp-cab) cables is too much trouble, so be it. Again, micro-amps with reverb will be a blessing. The Velcro-type fasteners on each Toob and Metro keep a micro-amp snugly on, so the unit is a de facto combo. Many Toob users never remove the amp from the cab. I do, because I'm constantly testing new combinations. My personal TOOB 12J was made in January 2018. The fastening strips are as new.
    I'm not arguing a position, just stating an observation. I'd be happy to try Toob + a good amp with built-in reverb (not very particular about reverb quality). Personally, I would not be interested in amp + cab + separate reverb. I want it all in one convenient package, or two that can be firmly attached to each other, but not three separate pieces.

John

User Info Menu

I’m not recommending it
    cos I haven't tried one yet
    but I’ve noticed these
    75watts , with reverb

https://www.hotoneaudio.com/products/nano-legacy-floor/mojo-attack

might work ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I'm not arguing a position, just stating an observation. I'd be happy to try Toob + a good amp with built-in reverb (not very particular about reverb quality). Personally, I would not be interested in amp + cab + separate reverb. I want it all in one convenient package, or two that can be firmly attached to each other, but not three separate pieces.

John
    John, I believe this is doable in a few months' time.

BR

Markku

User Info Menu

John, I believe this is doable in a few months' time.

BR

Markku
    @Markku - a Bam200, a bit of velcro, a Fender Tre-Verb* and you have it! Works fine foe me..
    Ray

* substitute your favourite small reverb pedal and you have i with the Metro BG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray175
    @Markku - a Bam200, a bit of velcro, a Fender Tre-Verb* and you have it! Works fine foe me..
    Ray

* substitute your favourite small reverb pedal and you have i with the Metro BG
    Ray, that's exactly what I was looking at in my test corner a moment ago.

Pingu, for once I tend to agree with Henning Pauly a.k.a. eytschPI42: The HotOne Mojo Attack is perfect in every way except the tone. While Henning is mostly addressing the amp's overdrive qualities, I have yet to fall in love with the clean sounds. Enough headroom and a decent reverb without question, but... Maybe I just gave up too early.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    I’m not recommending it
    cos I haven't tried one yet
    but I’ve noticed these
    75watts , with reverb

https://www.hotoneaudio.com/products/nano-legacy-floor/mojo-attack

might work ?
    Having sounded negative about the Mojo Attack, I felt I need to try it again. After all, the reviews are mostly positive, the design and features tick a lot of boxes and the build quality is excellent. Looks like the British-voiced sister model Britwind is more to the rock crowd's liking, as its price still hovers a tad above 200 euros, while Thomann now sells the Mojo Attack for 169. They're not selling out; a new load is due in a week or so.

So where's my weather vane pointing now? Honestly, if I had nothing else, this amp would be quite ok. The Tweed-voiced channel is fine on clean, except the trebles are too nasal and spiky. A three-zone eq helps, though. Plenty headroom. Excellent reverb for those who don't need celestial amounts of it. The adjustable boost footswitch is great for switching between comping and solos. I neither do nor understand overdrive, so nothing to say on higher-gain settings or the Mesa-flavored second channel. In sum, a poor man's BluGuitar Amp1.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 03-12-2021 at 12:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug;[URL="tel:1105880"
    1105880[/URL]]
    The Tweed-voiced channel is fine on clean, except the trebles are too nasal and spiky.
    enough said GB ....
    nobody wants nasal and spiky !
    (unless your doing Sex Pistols covers
    I guess)