Posts 1 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

USA shipping only

User Info Menu

Thanks! Bought a box.

User Info Menu

Looked like a great deal, but it's $12.95 shipping per set!

User Info Menu

$12.95 per box

User Info Menu

It's a deal, I think. 12 sets in a box, 60 bucks a box. That's $5 a set. I bought a box. TI's nickel strings are way more than that! I bought the .013-.056's. At the rate that I change strings, that might last me a good while!

User Info Menu

I bought a box.I've never bought a box of strings before. $68 with tax. Sounds too good to be true. Thanks, guys!

User Info Menu

Tried to buy a box but shows $120, don't see a coupon code and even at checkout, still says $120 rather than $60?

User Info Menu

Sigh.

-pure nickel roundwounds - $60/box of 12 sets = $5/set +flat rate shipping $12.95/box = $72.95 =
    $6.08/set + sales tax

-flatwound strings - $120/box of 12 sets = $10/set +shipping
    +flat rate shipping $12.95/box = $132.95 = $11.08/set + sales tax

-nickel-plated steel roundwounds - I just don't care...

I hope my math is not too racist for you.

Anyone know who makes these strings for Sadowsky?
    Last edited by Hammertone; 03-04-2021 at 10:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Does anyone know whether the rounds use a hex or round core? I've been using Newtone roundwounds for a while but those are pricey too. This could be a great deal, but I'm only interested in round cores.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Does anyone know whether the rounds use a hex or round core? I've been using Newtone roundwounds for a while but those are pricey too. This could be a great deal, but I'm only interested in round cores.
    I asked Roger - they are hex-core.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Sigh.

-pure nickel roundwounds - $60 per box of 12 sets = $5/set +flat rate shipping is $12.95 per box = $72.95 =
    cost of $6.08/set + sales tax

-flatwound strings - $120 per box of 12 sets = $10/set +shipping
    +flat rate shipping is $12.95 per box = $132.95 = cost of $11.08/set + sales tax

-nickel-plated steel roundwounds - I just don't care...

I hope my math is not too racist for you.

Anyone know who makes these strings for Sadowsky?
    D'addario

User Info Menu

I tried a set of round 12s once. They felt a bit stiffer than TI of the same gauge, and a subtle sort of "rough" feel, including a bit of grinding feel on my pick. Similar to half rounds or ground wounds. They *sounded* fine, I just didn't like the feel, could just be me. Ymmv.

User Info Menu

I bought a box of pure nickel round 13's. I do like TIs, but I the price helps me overcome any reservations that I might have had!

Thanks for the fyi on these. It demonstrates a caring nature of brotherly and sisterly love to the jazz clan here to share in the the bounty! It is greatly appreciated!
    And, thanks to Sadowsky!

User Info Menu

Bear in mind that all strings will eventually go bad, even ones in sealed envelopes. So don't plan on building a reserve for years, a few months is much better, buy stuff you are going to use in that period.

User Info Menu

Mine just arrived today. They really had to stuff the box in the package-it barely fits.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Bear in mind that all strings will eventually go bad, even ones in sealed envelopes. So don't plan on building a reserve for years, a few months is much better, buy stuff you are going to use in that period.
    I've kept mine sealed for a few years and hadn't noticed a problem. They didn't oxidize as far as I could tell. But they are sealed. Why would they go bad?

User Info Menu

rust can be a problem...the thin plating on the plain strings can flake off in spots

string manufacturers have gone thru much turmoil over the years trying to find rust inhibiting packaging

a few years back a paper company claimed they had rust proof paper envelopes for strings...many companies switched to them, only to find that a chemical used on the paper actually increased rust potential!!..a major rethink ensued

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    ...string manufacturers have gone thru much turmoil over the years trying to find rust inhibiting packaging. a few years back a paper company claimed they had rust proof paper envelopes for strings...many companies switched to them, only to find that a chemical used on the paper actually increased rust potential!!..a major rethink ensued...
    It affected several string makers, and lawsuits abounded. It almost put DR strings out of business. Since then, several manufacturers have moved to hermetically sealed plastic packaging, filled with inert gas.

User Info Menu

yes, the dr situation was particularly troublesome for me....as i love their pure nickel wrap-round inner core pure blues strings!...one of the rare usa makers using that design formula...ala euro stringmakers- thomastik and pyramid

for those that may not know, dr is run by mark dronge, the son of the original guild guitar founder- al dronge

cheers

ps- for those who ordered the sadowsky sale strings..do the ball ends have colors like d'addario uses...i always thought labella was oem for sadowsky...tho they use ghs for some of their guitars, so they might have flipped over...hence the sale

User Info Menu

I bought Sadowsky strings before and liked them.

User Info Menu

I'll vacuum seal them with my food saver. Eliminate the O2. Y knot.

User Info Menu

I'll vacuum seal them with my food saver. Eliminate the O2. Y knot.

User Info Menu

just put some desiccant packs in the box

User Info Menu

anyone know who the manufacturer is?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    anyone know who the manufacturer is?
    See post #12

User Info Menu

ps- for those who ordered the sadowsky sale strings..do the ball ends have colors like d'addario uses...i always thought labella was oem for sadowsky...tho they use ghs for some of their guitars, so they might have flipped over...hence the sale

any answer as to ball end color?

cheers

User Info Menu

yes, the dr situation was particularly troublesome for me....as i love their pure nickel wrap-round inner core pure blues strings!...one of the rare usa makers using that design formula...ala euro stringmakers- thomastik and pyramid

for those that may not know, dr is run by mark dronge, the son of the original guild guitar founder- al dronge

cheers

No, the ball ends don't have colors.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    No, the ball ends don't have colors.
    thanks s....so NOT d'addario! as they always use colored ball ends..even on their oem ie. fender/fmic strings

i stand by labella or ghs...always thought it was labella...but recently read they are using ghs strings on their electric nylon models...so maybe they moved to ghs...which may account for why they are liquidating old stock strings

cheers

User Info Menu

Sound wise what flats are they comparable to?

User Info Menu

I put on a set of the nickel plated round wounds, and they play, sound and intonate fine. I've had them on for three days, and they haven't gone out of tune once. I'm playing thru my POS Marshall practice amp, so if they can sound good through that, they can sound good through anything.
    Last edited by sgcim; 03-09-2021 at 06:59 PM.

User Info Menu

I bought a box of the pure nickels, they were about $20 less than 12 sets of D'Addarios
    Have yet to try them though.

User Info Menu

I received my box of Pure Nickel Round 13's today. They're quite a bit thicker G on down to low E than the TI Bebop 13's that I use a lot.

TI Sadowsky
    G .021 .026
    D .030 .036
    A .038 .046
    E .053 .056

Can't wait to restring a couple guitars and see how they play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    I received my box of Pure Nickel Round 13's today. They're quite a bit thicker G on down to low E than the TI Bebop 13's that I use a lot.

TI Sadowsky
    G .021 .026
    D .030 .036
    A .038 .046
    E .053 .056

Can't wait to restring a couple guitars and see how they play.
    FYI for anyone accustomed to TI and trying out new brands ought to be aware that TI sets are top heavy (or bottom-light depending on how you look at it). In other words, the wound strings on a set of TI 13s is closer to the wound strings of another brand's 12s. I usually string my guitars top-heavy like this, so it's nice that TI does this. However, I prefer newtone archtops for pure nickel roundwounds. John Pearse comes second.

Side comment: Does anyone know why TI decided to name their jazz guitar strings completely backwards? Round strings were popular in the swing era but TI calls these "bebop" strings, and flats were prevalent in the bebop era but TI calls these "swings". How did they make such a labeling mistake? I'm sure nobody cares, but I always found it curious.