User Info Menu

Seen on the bay... been a few folks looking for a 105. The F model has a floating pickup.
    No connection with the seller, the guitar, but it is pretty)

Ibanez AF 105 F Artcore custom archtop jazz guitar | eBay

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice axe, have one. After few mods played as my main guitar for several years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asedas
    Nice axe, have one. After few mods played as my main guitar for several years.
    I am thinking about picking one up. What mods did you make? I am thinking KA 12pole floating PU. Anyone else have one (or similar), that you changed things up on? Are there other archtop guitars (in that price range) out there that I should look at? All thoughts are welcomed.

User Info Menu

I have the version with two set pickups. It’s well made—fairly heavily built. I don’t know if the floating version has a more lightly built top. It was my workhorse for louder jazz bands. I prefer carved top guitars for quieter ensembles or solo. My main mod was replacing the TOM with a wood bridge. Ibanez originally included both wood and TOM bridges to allow you to choose, so it’s hardly a mod. The TOM sounded somewhat metallic, and the wood bridge tamed that. It’s a 24-3/4 inch scale, so make sure you’re ok with that.

Here’s a demo of the AF105F with a wood bridge.

User Info Menu

Yep, the bridge was my first mod too obviously wooden was far better. Next was replacement it with Fishman piezo bridge + pickup replacement to Benedetto S6. Later I've changed both back to wooden bridge + Kent Armstrong 12-poles. In the meantime I've changed pickguard and put thumbweels there. After c.a. 8yrs I've changed tuners too. Very nice axe to mod

User Info Menu

Thank you both.

User Info Menu

Check out AF155’s if you are looking for a non-floating pickup version. I snagged mine awhile back for an insane price. For some reason these don’t hold their value well, but basically a Metheny with an extra pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    I have the version with two set pickups. It’s well made—fairly heavily built. I don’t know if the floating version has a more lightly built top.
    They are on the heavy side. I would urge you to play one before you decide whether it's right for you. Ibanez makes a lot of guitars and you can't tell from just looking at the specs Ibanez supplies just how different they are. This one is pretty high up in the catalogue and it's pretty, and if you happen to get one selling it as it is originally supplied, it comes with nice features like two bridge saddles so you can opt whether you like the acoustic woodiness of a full wood bridge or a metal tune-0-matic which gives greater intonation adjustment but has a very different sound. (BIG note here, IF you buy from Guitar Center, they remove all case candy when they unbox the guitar. It's their policy, so know that you won't have this option from GC , it's worth asking if you're buying second hand, if your guitar will have this option too). The original guitars also came with their own case, one of the few Ibanez guitars that do, also worth asking about.
    I worked at Ibanez and I thought these guitars were OK, heavier than some of the others spec'd to the same dimensions. Ultimately, I didn't like the chunky feel of the body, the floating pickups on the acoustic ones were ...meh, in my opinion. Obviously there are players who own these and love them. So do give them a workout and see. I will say they're all very consistent so you can rely on the fact that the one you try will have that build quality and feel that you'll find on others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnher
    Check out AF155’s if you are looking for a non-floating pickup version. I snagged mine awhile back for an insane price. For some reason these don’t hold their value well, but basically a Metheny with an extra pickup.
    Right! Different guitars completely from the AF105. But even with the AF155, play them first. One thing Ibanez would do is change factories of construction, even within a year's production, and keep the same name. So an AF155 from spring of one year could change in feel and playing response from the guitars made the next year with the same name, though the specs and even outward appearances would be the same. So try it.
    The Metheny guitars are made in completely different factories, even within the Metheny line. Lower ones are made in very good factories in China, the prized and sought after PM20 was made in Korea at the Cort factory that makes guitars for other brands like Epiphone and, well hundreds of other brands. They're quite nice. The top Metheny models are made in Japan in the factory that the Joe Pass flagship archtop came from.
    They all have similar specs, the ones Pat likes to play but they are VERY different.
    I will note that I had an AF105 that I got because I got a lot of guitars while I was working at Hoshino, it's one of the perks that made it worthwhile. I got the floater because I was curious to really run the paces with such a pretty and promising guitar. I'll note that I didn't get nearly acoustic feel or response that I get from my Epiphone Zephyr Regent (long out of production sadly) which has a full sized humbucker and was made in the Peerless factory.
    There are some Ibanez guitars made in that Korean factory, and those models have exceptional acoustic response regardless of the pickup configuration when compared with some Chinese ones with the exact same specs. So do be aware.

Back to the AF105, it is not from any of the factories that make the Metheny models. The top wood plywood is considerably heavier, which is the choice of the Chinese factory that turns these out. That means solid, heavy, not fast moving on the attack (read as acoustic sound) and they feel more towards the electric end of the spectrum. That makes them nice choices for the set humbucker variant. Yes the bodies of the full humbuckers are built like the floaters, obvious difference in the routed cavity, but the plies are solidly constructed and the top veneer ply is a pretty one.

So a little AF105 trivia and factoids from somebody that worked at Ibanez, can make a comparison from that perspective and took one of these home, albeit ultimately passing it on to a student.
    Good luck and have fun with whatever you buy!