Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 26 of 26

User Info Menu

Hi folks. I’m moving a 2018 Comins GCS-1ES. This differs from the GCS-1 model because it has a spruce soundboard and ebony fretboard. Bill’s website states that this combination tailors the instrument to warmer, darker jazz tones. You can check out Comins’ website for full details but the quick rundown on specs are:

• 14-5/8” lower bout; 1-5/8” depth
    • Top = laminated spruce; back = laminated sapele
    • Ebony fretboard with 12” radius, 24.75” scale, 1.7” nut width
    • Custom wound KA humbuckers
    • Routed wood core to reduce feedback
    • Push/pull pot to switch to single coil mode
    • Weight ~7.4lbs

The guitar is basically mint. No issues whatsoever. I’m only moving it because I just got an old Heritage Prospect back and dropped some coin on a PRS JA15 so I need to offset those purchases. I might be sorry about moving this one but the stable has be thinned. There are lots of videos out there but check out Yotam Silberstein playing this exact model,

Purchased from Comins through Lattanze Guitars and set up by Bill. Currently strung with half round 10s. Case is in excellent condition. Looking to get $1300 net to me and I’ll pick up shipping costs in CONUS. Thanks and if you have any questions, just ask.

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images 2018 Comins GCS-1ES, Vintage Blond-20210219_130327-jpg 2018 Comins GCS-1ES, Vintage Blond-20210219_130426-jpg 2018 Comins GCS-1ES, Vintage Blond-20210219_130605-jpg 2018 Comins GCS-1ES, Vintage Blond-20210219_130742-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

nice guitar! tho made in asia, bill c himself spends hours of setting up each guitar before it's sold...

jimmy bruno has many vids sounding great on the imported comins

cheers

User Info Menu

Korea or China? This doesn't seem to mean as much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    nice guitar! tho made in asia, bill c himself spends hours of setting up each guitar before it's sold...

jimmy bruno has many vids sounding great on the imported comins

cheers

User Info Menu

I believe at one time the spruce top model was rather rare and a high demand.

User Info Menu

Can you tell me the nut width, radius and neck profile?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    Can you tell me the nut width, radius and neck profile?
    From GCS-1ES | Comins Guitars

• Fingerboard: Ebony, 12” radius, 24.75” scale length, 1.70” nut width, dot position markers
    • Neck: Medium C shape, comfortably contoured

User Info Menu

made for comins to his spec in korea...my point was that he spends a lot of time personally gettin them perfect!

specs

Body Dimensions: 14 5/8” lower bout width, 1 5/8” depth
    Top: Laminated Spruce
    Back: Laminated Sapele
    Body and Neck Wood: Eastern Mahogany
    Fingerboard: Ebony, 12” radius, 24.75” scale length, 1.70” nut width, dot position markers
    Neck: Medium C shape, comfortably contoured
    Pickups and electronics: Custom wound Kent Armstrong humbucking pickups, 3 way toggle switch, (2) volume and (2) tone controls. One of the tone controls is a push/pull pot converting both pickups to single coil mode.
    Hardware finish: Chrome
    Tuners: Wilkinson, smooth 19:1 gear ratio
    Binding: Multi-ply ivory/black surround the peghead, neck, and body back with additional plies surrounding the body top
    Average Weight: 7.5 lbs. (varies plus or minus 6%)
    Available Colors: Vintage Blond, Tangerine Burst, Violin Burst, Autumn Burst, Black

cheers

User Info Menu

For some reason the spruce topped models do seem less available. I know I needed to wait for this one to come in when I got it.

Joe

User Info Menu

Looks like there's an ebony fretboard upgrade with spruce top.

User Info Menu

correct. The GCS 1 is maple and rosewood; the GCS-1ES is spruce top and ebony board.

User Info Menu

I have the GCS-1, a terrific guitar. I had a hard time finding one (got it at Rudy's) and they didn't even have an ES to try.

I think I'd have liked the Spruce, but I tend to prefer rosewood fingerboards, so it's a trade-off.

That said, the GCS-1 can sound quite dark; that's why I bought it after hearing Jack Wilkins get a gorgeous dark sound (ES and AERCompact60). It has a usable coil split option, though and I sometimes play it that way.

User Info Menu

Is this a standard feature for this model?
    [QUOTE=rpjazzguitar;1101826It has a usable coil split option, though and I sometimes play it that way.[/QUOTE]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    Is this a standard feature for this model?
    it's in specs posted ^

Pickups and electronics: Custom wound Kent Armstrong humbucking pickups, 3 way toggle switch, (2) volume and (2) tone controls. One of the tone controls is a push/pull pot converting both pickups to single coil mode.

cheers

User Info Menu

Back up for a beauty!!

User Info Menu

Nice guitar for a good price. I’ll ask around and see if anybody I know is in the market.

User Info Menu

Thanks Blue!
    Joe

User Info Menu

I bought a used one long time back. Same es in blonde. I think it is serial 1 or a prototype or something. Anyway the original owner put in some Peter Florence Voodoos, I love it. The guitar is no longer able to do the push pull thing the original could do. These are great guitars.

User Info Menu

I also have the GCS-1. Super cool guitar and pretty versatile. GLWTS!

User Info Menu

The coil split is a stock feature. You pull one of the knobs. I believe it splits both pickups.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    The coil split is a stock feature. You pull one of the knobs. I believe it splits both pickups.
    Yes it splits both. I've had the GCS-1es for a couple years and love it. I didn't use the split option much at first but I found running it with a low gain boost (J Rockett Blue Note) brought it to life. It brings that clarity when you need it.

User Info Menu

TTT. Quick search on Reverb shows no ES models available - new or used.

User Info Menu

Well, I asked around and nobody was in the market right now. Sorry, piedaddy. I don’t you’ll have a hard time selling it, though, it’s a real beauty.

User Info Menu

Hello - Is this guitar still available?

User Info Menu

I have some interest. Send me a PM if still available.

User Info Menu

Back Up!

User Info Menu

Sold off Forum.
    Jp