Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

I hope I’m posting this in the right place. I’m looking for a Collings AT 16 or AT 17 archtop. I would prefer one with a blonde or tangerine burst finish, but I’m open. I would also love to find one with a floating pickup, but this is not a deal breaker. It must be in excellent to mint condition. And yes, I know about the one on Reverb. It’s sold. If anybody comes across one, please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Gary is a great guy, I've sold him a Collings I35 and he is a serious buyer who pays right away and is a joy to work with!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I believe this is the same one that was on Reverb. I was told it was sold, but I sent an email directly to the shop to make sure. Thanks.

Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asnopenheart
    Gary is a great guy, I've sold him a Collings I35 and he is a serious buyer who pays right away and is a joy to work with!!!!
    Thank you, Gabriel.

User Info Menu

Blue Wolf, I passed this info along to a friend that has one. I'll probably talk to him more on Monday.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by callouscallus
    Blue Wolf, I passed this info along to a friend that has one. I'll probably talk to him more on Monday.
    Thank you!

User Info Menu

Still beating the bushes. I turned up an AT 16 standard, but it was priced too high for what it was. Refining my search: AT 16 deluxe or AT 17. I might consider an AT 16 standard in a natural or tangerine finish if in excellent condition. Let me know if anybody turns one up.

User Info Menu

I found an AT 17, which is what I wanted all along. It’s overseas and I’m trying to get it over here now. I’ll post pictures if and when I get it if anyone is interested.

User Info Menu

From Japan, Bluewolf?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    From Japan, Bluewolf?
    No, from Italy. Now if I can just get it through customs.

User Info Menu

I get the Bill Collings pedigree, but others such as Buscarino, Megas, Comins, are unbelivable guitars sonically. There also is a Tom Bills Nature and a Tom Ribbeke for quite nice prices in this forum as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I get the Bill Collings pedigree, but others such as Buscarino, Megas, Comins, are unbelivable guitars sonically. There also is a Tom Bills Nature and a Tom Ribbeke for quite nice prices in this forum as well.
    I haven’t played every builder’s instruments, obviously, and I know there are a lot of great builders including those you named. I just have a thing for Collings. I currently own a couple of Collings instrument, and I absolutely love them. They’re not true archtops, however, and adding a great archtop is sort of my big dream with respect to my collection of guitars. The only true archtop I currently own is an Ibanez GB10, and while it is a nice instrument, it doesn’t really have an iconic archtop tone. In fact, my Collings I-35 LC sounds and plays a lot better. Collings archtops were a labor of love for Bill himself and they absolutely look and sound like it. They’re very rare, however, because very few were made and Collings is no longer accepting orders for them.

Believe me, I considered a lot of choices and I did find quite a few builders that really impressed me. There were a couple of specific archtops I found that were very tempting. One was a Benedetto Fratello, which was a beautiful instrument, both sonically and aesthetically. The other was a Buscarino Monarch, which was also gorgeous. If not for my obsession with owning a Collings, I probably would have gone with one of these, but I’ve had this dream of owning a Collings archtop, and it’s finally played itself out. Hopefully, that is.

User Info Menu

Good luck in your chase!

User Info Menu

Love to hear your impressions when you get this guitar. You really have to own a Collings to understand the obsession!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWolf
    I haven’t played every builder’s instruments, obviously, and I know there are a lot of great builders including those you named. I just have a thing for Collings. I currently own a couple of Collings instrument, and I absolutely love them. They’re not true archtops, however, and adding a great archtop is sort of my big dream with respect to my collection of guitars. The only true archtop I currently own is an Ibanez GB10, and while it is a nice instrument, it doesn’t really have an iconic archtop tone. In fact, my Collings I-35 LC sounds and plays a lot better. Collings archtops were a labor of love for Bill himself and they absolutely look and sound like it. They’re very rare, however, because very few were made and Collings is no longer accepting orders for them.

Believe me, I considered a lot of choices and I did find quite a few builders that really impressed me. There were a couple of specific archtops I found that were very tempting. One was a Benedetto Fratello, which was a beautiful instrument, both sonically and aesthetically. The other was a Buscarino Monarch, which was also gorgeous. If not for my obsession with owning a Collings, I probably would have gone with one of these, but I’ve had this dream of owning a Collings archtop, and it’s finally played itself out. Hopefully, that is.

User Info Menu

I managed to import my AT 17 and I just received it and got my first impressions. It’s in absolutely pristine condition and it’s a work of art. The craftsmanship in unreal, and it plays and sounds a great as it looks. I’m totally psyched. Here’s some photos:
    Looking for a Collings AT 16 or AT 17-17-01-small-jpg Looking for a Collings AT 16 or AT 17-17-02-small-jpgLooking for a Collings AT 16 or AT 17-17-03-small-jpgLooking for a Collings AT 16 or AT 17-17-04-small-jpgLooking for a Collings AT 16 or AT 17-17-05-small-jpgLooking for a Collings AT 16 or AT 17-17-06-small-jpgLooking for a Collings AT 16 or AT 17-17-08-small-jpg

User Info Menu

BlueWolf,

Congratulations.

Damn, that's a pretty guitar!

User Info Menu

Very nice.

User Info Menu

I managed to import my AT 17 and I just received it and got my first impressions. It’s in absolutely pristine condition and it’s a work of art. The craftsmanship in unreal, and it plays and sounds a great as it looks. I’m totally psyched. Here’s some photos:
    Looking for a Collings AT 16 or AT 17-17-01-small-jpg Looking for a Collings AT 16 or AT 17-17-02-small-jpgLooking for a Collings AT 16 or AT 17-17-03-small-jpgLooking for a Collings AT 16 or AT 17-17-04-small-jpgLooking for a Collings AT 16 or AT 17-17-05-small-jpgLooking for a Collings AT 16 or AT 17-17-06-small-jpgLooking for a Collings AT 16 or AT 17-17-08-small-jpg
    Congratulations! Beautiful guitar. Do you mind sharing what year it was made? A good friend of mine has a couple Collings archtops. They are fabulous instruments. Thanks for sharing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    BlueWolf,

Congratulations.

Damn, that's a pretty guitar!
    Thanks Rabbit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SoftwareGuy
    Very nice.
    Thank you, software guy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    Congratulations! Beautiful guitar. Do you mind sharing what year it was made? A good friend of mine has a couple Collings archtops. They are fabulous instruments. Thanks for sharing!
    It’s a 1995, serial number 42. I spoke with Collings and Bill was only making one a year at the time. Apparently archtops were a labor of love for him.

User Info Menu

Beautiful! Surprised Bill didn’t use the back thru heel construction on these. I’ve no doubt that it sounds and plays as good as it looks. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    Beautiful! Surprised Bill didn’t use the back thru heel construction on these. I’ve no doubt that it sounds and plays as good as it looks. Enjoy!
    Thanks, skiboyny. It sounds incredible. It has a beautifully full and balanced tone, and it’s a joy to play.

User Info Menu

Thanks, skiboyny. It sounds incredible. It has a beautifully full and balanced tone, and it’s a joy to play.
    I'd love to hear it if ever you're up to it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    I'd love to hear it if ever you're up to it!
    I have an alternate pick guard that is already precut for a floating pickup. I’m going to have a luthier install a Lollar Johnny Smith in it. Once I do, I’ll see if I can post something.

User Info Menu

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I just don't get someone wanting a certain guitar "either 16" or 17"." I would think the size/fit is more important than the make. With that said, Collings are awesome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I'll probably get flamed for this, but I just don't get someone wanting a certain guitar "either 16" or 17"." I would think the size/fit is more important than the make. With that said, Collings are awesome.
    You won’t get flamed by me. It’s a legitimate question. Being made by Bill Collings himself was always my main driver, and Bill only made 16” and 17” carved archtops. A 17” was always my first choice for several reasons, but because of the extreme rarity of these instruments, I was willing to consider a 16” knowing that it might be years before I found a 17”. I was very lucky, however, in that I found a pristine 17” in Italy in a relatively short amount of time. I have to admit, though, that if I could afford it, I would probably buy both a 16” and a 17” because I am now a collector. The size difference doesn’t bother me that much because I wear my guitars strapped up high anyway, probably because I first learned to play on a classical guitar. A 17” actually sits nicely right on my lap so that I can play it without even needing a strap, but when I perform (I will not gig with the AT 17), I usually play a 15” (a Collings I-35 LC or a Collings CL Jazz) or a 14.75” (a Ibanez George Benson GB10) strapped up high.
    Last edited by BlueWolf; 03-26-2021 at 11:42 AM.