Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Hiya!

Inspired by Fred Archtop's recent ES-350 demo, played through a Quilter 101 amp and a TOOB 12J cab, I'm happy to announce a long-awaited update of the Toob website. It now features the new 10" and 12" S series, which has the "thunk" Forum Members seem to appreciate. The EU / non-EU prices for TOOB 12" Originals, 6.5" Metros and the S series are clearly indicated. I'm offering you a permanent 15% discount. Shipping costs typically range from EUR 20 (Metro, Northern Europe) to EUR 60 (12", USA). For fast intercontinental delivery during COVID flight shortage, add up to EUR 100. A happy customer in Texas did and got his in five days (UPS), while another in Miami had to wait 20 days (Finnish Post).

Best and stay safe,

Markku

PS We have the new, spectacular Jensen Blackbird 40 AlNiCo speakers on order, as an alternative for 12J and 12S. The markup is likely to be EUR 25-30 (non-EU - EU).
    www.toob.fi
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 02-21-2021 at 03:41 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great news Markku. Nearly a year in and I’m still delighted with my Metro 6.5” BG coupled to a BAM200 head. The “trinity” will become complete later today when I take delivery of a Fender Tre-Verb so as to have the tremolo and reverb that is absent in the BAM200 - pricey, but I had a 100€ Thomann gift token to blow, so at the end of the day only 89€

POST EDITED - Tre-Verb is tremendous. I can highly recommend this for any amp that dosn't have a decent reverb. the dwell control gives a very fine level of control that is absent on most Fender amps I've played (including my ToneMaster Deluxe), and the tremolo comes in a wide range of shapes and sizes - including very slow (missing on Tone Master, where its slowest speed is too fast for my taste). The "plate" reverb is extremely convincing and will probably be my default setting now (in moderation, of course).
    Last edited by Ray175; 02-22-2021 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Typos

User Info Menu

Thanks Markku,

I can testify how great my Toob12J is. I've ordered a BAM200 head just to compare with my Quiter 101. I must say that I am very tented by the new 12 S series & tiny 6.5 series...

Best and take care.
    Last edited by Fred Archtop; 02-18-2021 at 04:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys! Much appreciated! BTW, you are not alone: A Metro 6.5GP+ to Brooklyn today, a 12T telescopic to Barcelona tomorrow, and possibly a 12S to Singapore as well. My arthritis doesn't have a chance to stick...

Cheers, Markku

User Info Menu

Ray, thanks for the tip! My TC Electronic Hall of Fame passed away recently, and tremolo and reverb are precisely the missing link for me as well. Pricey? Yes but... that plus BAM is still less than what you have to dish out for certain popular 200W Class D amps with reverb.

User Info Menu

Which Toob is the best for nylon strings guitar like Frameworks?
    Kris

User Info Menu

Just got my TC electronics BAM200 today. Sounds so great with the Toob12J. Very complementary to the Quilter 101. I should make a demo...

Best and take care.

Fred.
    Last edited by Fred Archtop; 02-19-2021 at 04:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Pozdrowienie, Kris!

The answer depends on the caliber. The 10S,12S and 12R are somewhat scooped in the midrange, making them fine for acoustic guitars, both steel and nylon. Very articulate; 12-string sound is my "acid test". In the smaller Metro series, the 6.5FR (full range, flat response) stands out. You will find Mikko Karhula's test video of the Metros on acoustic guitars on Toob's YouTube channel. I'm expecting a well-known amp manufacturer to soon announce a pedal-size amp with a built-in reverb. In the meantime, the TC Electronic BAM200 plus a reverb pedal (e.g. Fender Tre-Verb which I'm going to get following Ray's recommendation) is a great option to power both calibers.

User Info Menu

I heartily recommend the TOOB Metro with a H&K Spirit of Vintage and a Nocturne Brain El Pescadoro.

More power than I need, the Fender is collecting dust.

User Info Menu

Hey Markku and friends,
    Is anyone out there playing a tube (valve) head with the TOOB? With the design, I'm guessing it can't safely hold the head; any solutions you've come up with?

Thanks!

Marc

User Info Menu

Marc, you're right. These were designed to take on a micro-amp for an ultra-portable rig. Two 12" units can be connected with a simple plate attached to the docks with Velcro. Such plate accepts any amp. There are two parallel jacks on each cab, so the result is an extremely loud max. 200W, 4 ohm 2x12. I try to attach a photo of another "Twoob", a 2 x 6.5BG with a monkey grip integrated to the amp plate. Max. power is 260W, so even if the small speakers are less efficient, this one gets very loud when necessary. The weight: 10 lbs. The jazz sound is just great, with a distinct thunk. Even this could accommodate a reasonably-sized tube head, e.g. one of the H&K Tubemeisters, Fender SC X2, something from Orange etc. The 100W Marshalls and Soldanos are a different story; for those you need a stout piece of furniture with a speaker inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images TOOB website updated, 15% discount to Forum Members-toob-6-5-twin-1-jpg 

User Info Menu

Hi -- thanks for the helpful response (and love the pic of the "mini-floor stack!").

I was looking at my gear: an easy solution may be to use a speaker stand for the head, and the TOOB cab could just sit at the base of it, on the floor!

Intriguing ...

Thanks again!

[PS: I also have a Raezer's Edge "Luna" amp, which would fit on a TOOB perfectly!]

User Info Menu

[PS: I also have a Raezer's Edge "Luna" amp, which would fit on a TOOB perfectly!][/QUOTE]

Ahem...
    Attached Images Attached Images TOOB website updated, 15% discount to Forum Members-toob-6-5-twin-2-jpg 

User Info Menu

Ha! There you go!

User Info Menu

[PS: I also have a Raezer's Edge "Luna" amp, which would fit on a TOOB perfectly!][/QUOTE]

Re. Ahem... The Luna is OK on a single 12" as well, not too heavy but visually a bit wide. The weight limit is 2 kg or 4.4 lbs, (e.g. DV Mark Micro 50 is fine) but that's a stability consideration, as the cab rests on three points. For people with heavier amps I have made removable aluminum or carbon fiber "outriggers" for the rear end.

Edit: Sorry about posting the photo twice. The first message apparently orbited the Earth a few times before landing.
    Attached Images Attached Images TOOB website updated, 15% discount to Forum Members-toob-6-5-twin-2-jpg 
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 02-20-2021 at 05:14 PM.

User Info Menu

The "Twoob" looks great! Official product? There is something that happens with the sound of two-speaker amps of any size.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    The "Twoob" looks great! Official product? There is something that happens with the sound of two-speaker amps of any size.
    This is a one-off, but easy to replicate and negotiable. Originally, this was supposed to be a bass outfit, hence the Metro 6.5BGs (Bass&Guitar) as a starting point. For guitar, might be an idea to change one of the back plates to that of a guitar version, for a brighter, more omnidirectional result. At least daisy-chaining a 12J and a 12R is the best of both worlds in that caliber.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    I'm expecting a well-known amp manufacturer to soon announce a pedal-size amp with a built-in reverb .
    I'm interested in evaluating any new pedal-size amp introduced into the market. Could you please post about it when it happens? Can you possibly share the name of the manufacturer before its even launched? Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by srs
    I'm interested in evaluating any new pedal-size amp introduced into the market. Could you please post about it when it happens? Can you possibly share the name of the manufacturer before its even launched? Thanks
    Sorry, my lips are sealed. Should be out during H1 though. There's another smaller maker's project that was supposed to be ready by now. Promising protoype tested by a friend of mine. No news lately, however. In the meantime, e.g. FoxGear Tweed 55 (USA) and Kyro (Bulgaria) look interesting, because they appear to be complete amps with proper voicings and eq settings.

I hope to see more fully-featured class D or hybrid (with nano tubes in the preamp) amps in the near future. Of course, a pedal-sized amp is often lodged in the pedalboard, where there's a reverb stomp among many other effects awaiting. The pedal craze has left fewer and fewer players using any of their amps' on-board effects, no matter how good. As I've said before, it's like snubbing at your hotel's restaurant and instead venturing into the night for an often costlier, riskier adventure.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 02-24-2021 at 03:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray175
    Great news Markku. Nearly a year in and I’m still delighted with my Metro 6.5” BG coupled to a BAM200 head. The “trinity” will become complete later today when I take delivery of a Fender Tre-Verb so as to have the tremolo and reverb that is absent in the BAM200 - pricey, but I had a 100€ Thomann gift token to blow, so at the end of the day only 89€

POST EDITED - Tre-Verb is tremendous. I can highly recommend this for any amp that dosn't have a decent reverb. the dwell control gives a very fine level of control that is absent on most Fender amps I've played (including my ToneMaster Deluxe), and the tremolo comes in a wide range of shapes and sizes - including very slow (missing on Tone Master, where its slowest speed is too fast for my taste). The "plate" reverb is extremely convincing and will probably be my default setting now (in moderation, of course).
    This comes late and call it a bump in disguise if you will. I had just my first test runs with the BAM200 - Fender Tre-Verb combination. It's right there! For anything from smooth jazz to the cleanest, twangiest '50s tones. I think my other 200W amps will find themselves on the block, except for G+K MB200, which is dedicated for bass. That, as many of you know, is also great for jazz guitar, with a pinch of reverb added.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Thanks Markku,

I can testify how great my Toob12J is. I've ordered a BAM200 head just to compare with my Quiter 101. I must say that I am very tented by the new 12 S series & tiny 6.5 series...

Best and take care.

id love to here the results of your comparison. These are the 2 heads I’m considering and I will get a TOOB metro to go with it