Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

1946 Gibson Guitar ES-300 - Guitar - Gryphon Stringed Instruments

All mahogany 1946 ES-300. Read the blurb.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I had one of these last year, but it had a maple neck. So it was the opposite of the standard ES-300 woods. It was a superb sounding guitar.

User Info Menu

There's an interesting description of 'plain cover ' P-90's in the orig. Gr. Strings ad - -- that the P-90 cover is removable and the screws are then visible. Does this mean the screws are visible and therefore adjustable, if the cover is removed ? Does the whole p/u become unattached or ?
    I'm thinking then it'd only have to be removed and adjusted once...( ?? )

Thanks as always for any explanations.

User Info Menu

My guess is that this version had alnico slugs instead of screw pole pieces, meaning that they are not adjustable. However, the Gibson factory cut the height of the alnico rods to optimize for nickel strings with a wound G, which is what most jazz players use. A note about the alnico slug pickup: it does not sound like your standard p-90. It's much clearer, more treble and less mids. It sounds almost like a dynasonic without the snarl.

I had an all-mahogany ES 125, which I ended up selling last year on Reverb. I regret that I sold it for so much to someone who probably didn't appreciate it that much. I wish I had sold it to a jazz player here instead. That's why I've been letting things go for below-market prices on this forum rather than selling them for more on Reverb or elsewhere. More fulfillment doing it that way than just maximizing margins. Then again, I'm not a pro retailer or anything like that.

1946 Gibson ES-300 All Mahogany. 00. Gryphon Stringed Inst.-bz8nrizbbhpf4jxav004-jpg

User Info Menu

The one I had last year had slugs, not adjustable screws.

User Info Menu

how much did you sell the mahog 125 for ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    how much did you sell the mahog 125 for ?
    Something like 2.4 or 2.5k (and a good chunk went to paying the corporate bros at reverb). It's probably fair market given how much 125's have appreciated lately. I remember when they were selling for 1.5 just a few years go. Same with 1940s Epiphone Triumphs. Also 50s ES-150s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Something like 2.4 or 2.5k (and a good chunk went to paying the corporate bros at reverb). It's probably fair market given how much 125's have appreciated lately. I remember when they were selling for 1.5 just a few years go. Same with 1940s Epiphone Triumphs. Also 50s ES-150s.
    I remember when nice 125s were $500 and 150s $750 and it wasn't all that long ago.

User Info Menu

I have a '46 125 with the slugged P90 p/u. It's fantastic. I know that the magnet is very strong and the pickup is exceptional.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon;[URL="tel:1067049"
    1067049[/URL]]I remember when nice 125s were $500 and 150s $750 and it wasn't all that long ago.
    damn , i shoulda