Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

For those interested - Larry Wexer has a beautiful Walnut back Trenier Broadway Cutaway for sale. It was just posted to his website today.
    Larry is one of the most knowledgable and reputable dealers in the country.

Here is the Gbase link

2013 Trenier Broadway Sunburst > Guitars Archtop Electric & Acoustic | Laurence Wexer Ltd.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wish I could tag Kirk1701 or whatever his username was. Didn't he say he wanted an Epiphone-spec'ed Broadway? 17" and walnut back sounds right up his alley.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Wish I could tag Kirk1701 or whatever his username was. Didn't he say he wanted an Epiphone-spec'ed Broadway? 17" and walnut back sounds right up his alley.
    I AM looking for something like this. I haven't clicked the link, but I would bet I can't afford it.

Update: I'm happy to report this leans toward the D'Aquisto cosmetics, which is less interesting to me. When you're paying this much, you have to be picky.

It's a surprisingly good price for what looks like a one-off. I would love to play it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk1701
    I AM looking for something like this. I haven't clicked the link, but I would bet I can't afford it.

Update: I'm happy to report this leans toward the D'Aquisto cosmetics, which is less interesting to me. When you're paying this much, you have to be picky.

It's a surprisingly good price for what looks like a one-off. I would love to play it.
    Ah, you want Epiphone cosmetics too?

Did you ever see this one from 2009? Aside from the cheap tailpiece it's awesome. Looks almost like my '35 Epi Broadway.

2013 Trenier Broadway for sale-e3ffe9f7f9e2d0e6e8c5a9e1cc42f0c6-jpg

User Info Menu

Ah, you want Epiphone cosmetics too?

Did you ever see this one from 2009? Aside from the cheap tailpiece it's awesome. Looks almost like my '35 Epi Broadway.

2013 Trenier Broadway for sale-e3ffe9f7f9e2d0e6e8c5a9e1cc42f0c6-jpg
    I'd prefer an actual Epiphone, but I'm always interested in how contemporary luthiers refine those designs. The guesswork is gone. You don’t have to pick through ten or more to find "the one."

I have seen this example. It's gorgeous. I like a simple brass tailpiece. If it plays in tune, I'm happy. The D'Aquisto tonewood tailpiece is a brilliant advancement no doubt. The tonal effects of both are subtle, but I happen to like the older sounds.

The black walnut back and sides are most intriguing. I really like what I've heard of that tonewood. It's as bright and snappy as maple, but round like rosewood.

If I were to commission such a guitar, I would want the 17 3/8" lower bout, black walnut back and sides, Epiphone f-holes, and ebony board with the Broadway inlays. This one is just a bit too L5 for me.

(On a side note, I know a bit of ancient Greek. Your username is a stitch.)

User Info Menu

That Trenier is a steal! $6500 for a unique Broadway is an exceptional buy. I’d purchase it if I could play in that price league!

User Info Menu

I'd prefer an actual Epiphone, but I'm always interested in how contemporary luthiers refine those designs.
    You might dig mine (not that it's for sale). I had one of the later 17 3/8" ones but I actually prefer the 16 3/8" design.
    2013 Trenier Broadway for sale-6ef633c0-f076-45e3-a73d-74668acf52bd-jpg

Nice! I almost majored in ancient languages. Glad to see some appreciation. You're the first person outside of my classicist/medievalist/byzantinist clique to know what it means. My papist friends call me umbilicanimus.
    Last edited by omphalopsychos; 10-08-2020 at 04:53 PM.

User Info Menu

I'd prefer an actual Epiphone, but I'm always interested in how contemporary luthiers refine those designs. The guesswork is gone. You don’t have to pick through ten or more to find "the one."

I have seen this example. It's gorgeous. I like a simple brass tailpiece. If it plays in tune, I'm happy. The D'Aquisto tonewood tailpiece is a brilliant advancement no doubt. The tonal effects of both are subtle, but I happen to like the older sounds.

The black walnut back and sides are most intriguing. I really like what I've heard of that tonewood. It's as bright and snappy as maple, but round like rosewood.

If I were to commission such a guitar, I would want the 17 3/8" lower bout, black walnut back and sides, Epiphone f-holes, and ebony board with the Broadway inlays. This one is just a bit too L5 for me.

Hopefully you can find an original that's nice enough and priced reasonably. I couldn't, so I quit looking and started saving up and then began talking / pleading with Mark C. to build one for me. It wasn't to an Epi Broadway spec, but maybe it'd be better for you to go that route as it was for me.
    If you have a complete spec, you may want to run it past Mark. I've heard his lead times are out a ways now, but you could at least get a budget together.

Good luck.

2013 Trenier Broadway for sale-gtr-compl-jpg

User Info Menu

You might dig mine (not that it's for sale). I had one of the later 17 3/8" ones but I actually prefer the 16 3/8" design.

Nice! I almost majored in ancient languages. Glad to see some appreciation. You're the first person outside of my classicist/medievalist/byzantinist clique to know what it means. My papist friends call me umbilicanimus.
    All this ancient language talk is getting me all fired up! My workday is basically Hebrew, Akkadian, Middle Egyptian, Greek, and Latin.

User Info Menu

Those papists are never short a zinger. My Greek is pretty much "perikatharmas" these days, but it's not bad considering I haven't studied it seriously since 1996/97.

Back on topic, that Broadway looks great. I'd love to take a chorus or two on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Hopefully you can find an original that's nice enough and priced reasonably. I couldn't, so I quit looking and started saving up and then began talking / pleading with Mark C. to build one for me. It wasn't to an Epi Broadway spec, but maybe it'd be better for you to go that route as it was for me.
    If you have a complete spec, you may want to run it past Mark. I've heard his lead times are out a ways now, but you could at least get a budget together.

Good luck.

2013 Trenier Broadway for sale-gtr-compl-jpg
    Excellent job! That guitar looks vaguely L7-ish.

I'd love to commission something cool like that. However, cards on the table, I've set my sights on a 37-42 Epi Triumph. If I find a Broadway of similar vintage at the same price, I'll consider it. I'm a player first and foremost. Once you get over $2500, you're talking about a piece of functional art, rather that a working instrument. Nothing wrong with either category, but each has it's own purpose.

No luthier could build me a modern Epi for as low as some Triumphs go for, nor would I expect them to. Tonewood pricing has skyrocketed over the years.

I appreciate everyone's input. I hope someone from this forum buys that Trenier and lets us hear it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    All this ancient language talk is getting me all fired up! My workday is basically Hebrew, Akkadian, Middle Egyptian, Greek, and Latin.
    Simul justus et peccator.

User Info Menu

I'd love to commission something cool like that. However, cards on the table, I've set my sights on a 37-42 Epi Triumph. If I find a Broadway of similar vintage at the same price, I'll consider it. I'm a player first and foremost. Once you get over $2500, you're talking about a piece of functional art, rather that a working instrument. Nothing wrong with either category, but each has it's own purpose.
    Just saw this.....No affiliation, etc.....

1950 Epiphone Triumph Regent

With any discount, this could be the sweet spot in the market right now.....

My two cents of course....and good luck

User Info Menu

C’mon man, all these posts about Epi Triumphs and Campys. Way to crap all over a thread about a Trenier Broadway. Start your own thread if you want to chat about Epi’s. Respect the OP.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    C’mon man, all these posts about Epi Triumphs and Campys. Way to crap all over a thread about a Trenier Broadway. Start your own thread if you want to chat about Epi’s. Respect the OP.
    Just sharing enthusiasm about Trenier Broadways. Bryant is starting to build mine as we speak, so you can imagine I'm very enthusiastic. Sorry for the derail QAman. Got too excited.

No aploogy needed, and I do appreciate and respect 2b trying to keep the focus on the post, since sometimes these discussions do wander off course.

But- whats more important is the excitement and enthusiasm we all share towards these guitars. This is why I love what Bryant is doing. He brings that excitement back with his current builds.

I appreciate all the enthusiasm

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk