Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Wow, this is a beautiful one, Jim!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

noice!

cheers

User Info Menu

Jim's original pics and always stellar playing!

User Info Menu

Thanks Marc. It was an interesting guitar for me/us in a lot of ways. I had tried to sell the business to another builder and it really didn't work out. I knew I was getting control back and I wanted to go a whole different direction. The T shape was new for us but all the other elements that we had been using were there: the graphite reinforced neck, the very heavily chambered body and then I added a modified, more elaborate version of the sound hole and that wonderful African Blackwood bridge. I think that bridge may have been the single most complicated and creative thing that we did the entire time we were building guitars. I think this was the first one with the T shape. Most of the T-shapes were used in Loons with the short Gibson style scale length and after the first few we switched from spruce to cedar for the tops to warm it up. These guitars were by far the most successful we had ever build. Two years later we were done and moved to Canada but they were the best two years we had in the whole run. It was nice to go out on a winning streak.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 08-12-2020 at 08:01 AM.

User Info Menu

I am keeping this one in the family, thanks Jim :

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues View Post
    I am keeping this one in the family, thanks Jim :

Those are actually my favorites and they don't seem to come on the market at all any more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    noice!

cheers
    That is a beautiful burst. Reminds me of Loar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound View Post
    That is a beautiful burst. Reminds me of Loar.
    That's what it's based on. I studied photos of the backs of the Loar mandolins and we actually called it "Loar Burst".
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 08-12-2020 at 02:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway View Post
    Those are actually my favorites and they don't seem to come on the market at all any more.
    Also found this.

User Info Menu

I asked the seller about the neck shape and he described it as on the fatter side of things.

Reading that made me weak in the knees. I continue to stare...really hard.

@jim soloway - do you have any 15 inch hollows laying around you'd part with? I love the idea and looks of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarbean25 View Post
    I asked the seller about the neck shape and he described it as on the fatter side of things.

Reading that made me weak in the knees. I continue to stare...really hard.

@jim soloway - do you have any 15 inch hollows laying around you'd part with? I love the idea and looks of it.
    I don't even have one for myself. I'd love to have back my old one.

User Info Menu

SOLD, finally, and hopefully to someone here!