Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Last edited by lawson-stone; 08-10-2020 at 11:01 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here is a clip. The playing is far less than history-making, but I wanted a lot of notes and a lot of chord playing. The amp is a Fender Princeton Reverb Re-Issue, which really does color the sound quite a lot. I might make another with something less "coloring" but then, I love the PRRI esp. this one with the 12" speaker. Forgive please, the less than brilliant... okay, sometimes less than adequate.,. playing. I'm just demo-ing the guitar, which does indeed survive my playing.

User Info Menu

Looks great , sounds even better! Good luck with the sale. A great deal on a great guitar!

Won't last long, I suspect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    Looks great , sounds even better! Good luck with the sale. A great deal on a great guitar!

Won't last long, I suspect.
    Thanks! I hope you're right!

User Info Menu

And here are the three in action.

User Info Menu

Wow! All three sound great. That VOS has got the thunk!

User Info Menu

oops. The clip above was intended for another thread. Here is the "for sale" guitar playing similar material through the Fender Tonemaster Twin Reverb, just for an alternative to the Princeton.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    Wow! All three sound great. That VOS has got the thunk!
    Yes, it's definitely a special guitar. I love the "Figured" models, but the VOS is just the One Ring to Rule Them, as it were.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Yes, it's definitely a special guitar. I love the "Figured" models, but the VOS is just the One Ring to Rule Them, as it were.
    Totally agree. I had a modern figured ES-175 in vintage sunburst finish and a VOS in Natural. They were both great. Then the CME blowout came along and I pickup d up my sunburst VOS. It thunks like nobody’s business. I love it so much, I sold the other two. While the natural VOS was a looker (and had the fattest neck I’ve ever had on a Gibson), it just didn’t have that 50s tone. I don’t miss it.

But, I DO miss the rich creamy tone of my figured 175. I say this to encourage any would be buyers that Lawson-Stone’s offering here won’t disappoint. These modern 175s are excellent sounding and playing. I miss mine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    Totally agree. I had a modern figured ES-175 in vintage sunburst finish and a VOS in Natural. They were both great. Then the CME blowout came along and I pickup d up my sunburst VOS. It thunks like nobody’s business. I love it so much, I sold the other two. While the natural VOS was a looker (and had the fattest neck I’ve ever had on a Gibson), it just didn’t have that 50s tone. I don’t miss it.

But, I DO miss the rich creamy tone of my figured 175. I say this to encourage any would be buyers that Lawson-Stone’s offering here won’t disappoint. These modern 175s are excellent sounding and playing. I miss mine.
    Gibson did, I think, get it right with the VOS1959. I have to say, though, that the slight shift of tone towards a more L5ces-ish sound of the "Figured" ES175 is a lovely move. I really enjoy playing this guitar. It's smooth, clean, and sweet. Both the "Figured" models I had played perfectly for me (except for that fret-end thing) and gave a lot of pleasure and inspiration.

User Info Menu

I love these heavier laminate ES-175 Gibson's from recent times. They have more versatility to cover Jazz and Blues in louder situations than the lighter built versions.
    I used to own a Gibson ES-775 that was similar in thicker laminates. It covered a lot of gigs! Best of luck with your sale,it won't last long!

User Info Menu

Instead of a "bump" I thought I'd upload another clip through another amp, this time a Quilter Tone Block 202 using the XLR out to the PreSonus Audiobox iTwo. The tune is "How About You?" using the Jimmy Raney solo from Aebersold vol. 20.

And yes, I get a lot of mileage out of those solos!

User Info Menu

Price lowered by $200.
    One last bump before moving this to Reverb. Gotta move it, but won't "give it away."