Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Found this on the Goodwill site:

Gibson Electric Guitar 80846510 W/Case - shopgoodwill.com

Wonder how much it'll go for? Looks to be in pretty good shape. Nice vintage color too.

Strange how someone added "decorative" scratches to the the top in those two places.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

ShopGoodWill.com rocks, in a tag-sale way. Over the years I've bought guitars, cases, woodwinds ranging from beginner to pro, and some jewelry and watches. If you're looking for a birthday rig your niece will never forget, there's a shiny guitar and working beginner amp at any moment. If you're lurking for a Gibson ES-175 this will be the only one for the next couple of years.

No-one at GoodWill knows anything about vintage guitars -- not how to examine them, research them, evaluate them, photograph them or describe them. That's not what they do. Don't bother asking for more information or extra pics; it's not their job. Plan for extra cracks and scratches, dug-out frets and a random-quality packing job.

The other thing about SGW.com is that people often bid high despite obvious flaws. Maybe that's because every dollar goes to GoodWill to help people.

User Info Menu

That is a wonderful finish color... “mojo” indeed.

serial #80846510
    March 24th (084 Julian date), 1986. 510th instrument that day?

-OR-

1988 if the serial number is 80848510

crazy trying to decipher Gibson serial numbers.
    Last edited by Steve Z; 07-23-2020 at 02:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Looks like Mahogany back and sides?

User Info Menu

Looking at the photos closer and zoomed in it shows this is a rather rough guitar. Description states, Etched scratches see pictures ... Someone scratched strange box shapes in several areas on the body top, an huge amount of checking for a '80s guitar, the amount of dust and dirt makes it look as though it sat in an unconditioned garage, barn, basement, etc. for a long time.

Depending on the price it might be a good player/beater, though I would be concerned whether the neck has warped.

Current bid (7-23 @ 1:50) is $1,889.

User Info Menu

At the current price it is already overbid. Whoever buys it, unless they like the really funky look, also needs to factor in a refinish at least. I also got a kick out of the problem they called out: "one string is loose and needs to be fixed."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    At the current price it is already overbid. Whoever buys it, unless they like the really funky look, also needs to factor in a refinish at least. I also got a kick out of the problem they called out: "one string is loose and needs to be fixed."
    Those '80s mahogany back/sides guitars go for $2700-$3500 now and who cares if the finish has cracks in it? My '63 kessel had tons of cracks in the finish and was the best sounding archtop I've ever owned.
    Last edited by jzucker; 07-23-2020 at 03:18 PM.

User Info Menu

why would anyone refinish it?

User Info Menu

tom bridge is bottomed out...possible neck reset candidate

finish could be buffed out and restored...not refinished

i got a fender strat from a goodwill store..not auction...80$ ...had to take every part of the guitar apart for cleaning..but its now a great looking great player

cheers

User Info Menu

Good eye NA.
    I bought a mint '66 Vibrolux Reverb from a guy that said he paid $10 for it at Goodwill, I've gotten some unbelievable deals @ thrift stores but still find that one hard to believe.
    Needless to say it cost me more than $10

Looks like it sold for $2100. If I had the funds I may have bid on it, I liked the mahogany and didn't mind the finish at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dave70
    Looks like it sold for $2100. If I had the funds I may have bid on it, I liked the mahogany and didn't mind the finish at all.
    So the interesting thing is that I paid $2100 or $2200 for my '89 which was in much better condition, had had the fingerboard planed and refretted and was seriously the best playing instrument I ever owned, second only to my '63 Kessel which also had the fingerboard planed and refretted.

In some regards, I think people are sheep when they bid on guitars...

User Info Menu

Agree. IMHO At some point the bidding becomes personal and against another bidder. Rather on the merits or worth of the item.
    I did that many years ago on Ebay with a guitar. Got in bidding war with someone else. I won, but ended up with a selling price way above the worth of it. Thankfully once I "woke up" to it, the seller let me back out.
    Plus I think there is a perception that you can get something for nothing for these sorts of organizations, Goodwill, ...
    I did get my first guitar at a similar type thrift store. A Harmony Rocket. 2 pickup model in good shape . I think $60, with no case.

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker

User Info Menu

just as an FYI, here's a blonde 175 from the same era, mahogany back and sides for a few hundred more. Blonde 175s are worth more in the first place. This one doesn't have the finish or bridge issues although in my experience, the quality control is iffy amongst this era even though when you get a good one, they are great.

Gibson ES-175 1988 Natural | Mike's Music | Reverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker

No doubt, auction fever can induce a buyer into making a foolish move. When buying at an auction, my MO is to figure out the highest price the item is worth to me and bid that amount at the very last moment. If I get it at a lower price than my maximum, great!, If I get it at my maximum, that is OK too. If I do not get it, I figure it was not meant to be and I do not fret over it.

Years ago, I was in the nightclub business. My partner in that venture was my age and was worth way more than I was. He had made his fortune in the used car business and was very shrewd. One lesson he taught me is that the power is always in the buy. Selling is the easy part. If you do not buy your stuff right, you will have less stuff to enjoy and if you decide to sell, you will probably take a loss. I suppose Jeff Bezos might not need to care about his purchase price on a guitar, but my experience in life is that guys like Jeff Bezos do care, and that is why they are worth as much as they are. Bid carefully on guitars at an auction. If someone is willing (foolish?) enough to pay more than something is worth, let them have it. There is always another deal to be had.

User Info Menu

I use a sniping service if I bid in an auction. It does exactly what SS advises, but since it's computerized it can make several bids at the last second. Just give it the auction ID info, the max you're willing to pay, and wait for the outcome. I use GavelSnipe, because that's the first one I came across and it's free, but there are others. As far as I'm concerned, sniping is the only way to go. Bidding the price up before the end of the auction is a sucker's game.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I use a sniping service if I bid in an auction. It does exactly what SS advises, but since it's computerized it can make several bids at the last second. Just give it the auction ID info, the max you're willing to pay, and wait for the outcome. I use GavelSnipe, because that's the first one I came across and it's free, but there are others. As far as I'm concerned, sniping is the only way to go. Bidding the price up before the end of the auction is a sucker's game.
    that won't work on a goodwill auction though.

User Info Menu

Maybe not, I've never tried. It works well on ebay. A quick Google search does show multiple sniping services for Goodwill auctions, though.

User Info Menu

>>sigh<<
    I guess everyone knows about ShopGoodwill now. For a while that was a good secret to have to hunt for gear. I got a Polytone Minibrute there in excellent condition for $60 a couple of years ago.

The descriptions are still entertaining.

Oh well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jonh
    >>sigh<<
    I guess everyone knows about ShopGoodwill now. For a while that was a good secret to have to hunt for gear. I got a Polytone Minibrute there in excellent condition for $60 a couple of years ago.

The descriptions are still entertaining.

Oh well.
    Sucks for me < good for Goodwill