Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 53 of 53

User Info Menu

I don't think the instrument is fully appreciated these days, to be honest.

I have had Guilds for decades. This is when I had ready, and inexpensive, access to locally built Gibsons and Heritages. I've never thought Guilds were inferior in their quality, woods, designs, playability, or sound, although they made weird looking solid bodies. I say that but they are no stranger than the Flying V, Moderna and Explorer. Artist Awards and X-700s don't take a back seat to the best of the other brands. All three brands are factory built guitars. But we all know that the best models in these three brands were made by the best luthiers available at each facility. They all had an abundance of talent.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass View Post
    I don't think the instrument is fully appreciated these days, to be honest.

I have had Guilds for decades. This is when I had ready, and inexpensive, access to locally built Gibsons and Heritages. I've never thought Guilds were inferior in their quality, woods, designs, playability, or sound, although they made weird looking solid bodies. I say that but they are no stranger than the Flying V, Moderna and Explorer. Artist Awards and X-700s don't take a back seat to the best of the other brands. All three brands are factory built guitars. But we all know that the best models in these three brands were made by the best luthiers available at each facility. They all had an abundance of talent.
    I have one Guild, a jumbo 12-string. It is excellent in every way. I've only seen one archtop, and made an immediate, open-ended offer to buy it.* I was told by the shop owner, with whom I had been doing regular business for many years, "Take a number."

Guilds are first-rate instruments.

* In the bygone days when I could have made good on that.
    Last edited by citizenk74; 01-12-2021 at 01:44 PM. Reason: clarity

User Info Menu

Oh I agree, Guilds are as good as Gibsons. I’ve personally owned an X-500, a Guild-Benedetto Artist Award, and a Guild JF-65 Jumbo which had an arched back. Guild guitars have some of the best fit and finish in all guitars ever made.