Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 26 of 26

User Info Menu

This guitar was built for a prodigy about 9 years ago. I don't recall the whole story but I know he won some amateur guitar competition as best new player at an age of about 14. He's now a jazz player.

Here is a recent video of Joshua Achiron with a different guitar.

The guitar for sale is a 2012 Heritage Ultra Millennium Standard. This is a solid wood guitar with a very eye catching top. The top is carved and the body fully routed to have resonance. It weighs about 7 lbs. by estimate. It is in excellent++ condition. The original pickups, which were Skatterbrains, were recently replaced with Lollar Imperials for a richer PAF tone.

Custom Heritage Ultra Millennium Standard-millie-jpg

Here are links to some of the discussion about the guitar when it was completed. I remember clearly that a lot of effort went into choosing which guitar to get (Gibson, Thornton or Heritage). When Heritage was chosen, the model, the billet selection and neck carve were carefully considered.

Heritage Millenium vs CP Thornton Professional - Heritage Guitars - Heritage Owners Club

Pickups for Millie Ultra Std - Heritage Guitars - Heritage Owners Club

Heritage Millenium Ultra Custom for Josh - Heritage Guitars - Heritage Owners Club

Joshua let this guitar go a few years ago, probably because of his change in genre, but I don't know that. RhoadesScholar acquired it and has used it for gigging. I got it a couple of months before Rhoades died as a temporary swap that is now permanent.

It has been PLEK'd and has an excellent action. The frets are in great shape. The pickguard is ebony. The gold looks good. There are no issues. The Lollars were installed recently and Pete Moreno did a full set up and made it look great. The OHSC is in good condition.

$2000 plus PP/shipping.

Custom Heritage Ultra Millennium Standard-2020-01-19_13-30-24-jpgCustom Heritage Ultra Millennium Standard-97719775_10217771608184949_349500537055477760_n-jpgCustom Heritage Ultra Millennium Standard-ac20102b-jpgCustom Heritage Ultra Millennium Standard-ac20102c-jpgCustom Heritage Ultra Millennium Standard-b3cxmisyycms7dc39ldv-jpgCustom Heritage Ultra Millennium Standard-fdkh22gl88vs8h1qqmyo-jpgCustom Heritage Ultra Millennium Standard-ns1wxytwpicunkfa8tqj-jpgCustom Heritage Ultra Millennium Standard-qektdwrn3s7ebgmrogjm-jpgCustom Heritage Ultra Millennium Standard-wfshfddxafnsfufrpsak-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Beautiful axe! Forgive me for not perusing all the links, I'm a bit time-constrained. Are there specs on scale length and nut width somewhere? It looks more like a chambered LP than an archtop design - is that a fair description?

Thanks

SJ

User Info Menu

It is similar to a chambered LP. It is like a chambered LP Custom with Lollar Imperials and the toggle switch moved. It is very different than a weight relieved LP in its resonance.

The nut is 1 11/16th" and the scale is 24.75".

I can't imagine how the set up could be better.

User Info Menu

Like Jimmy Swaggart, I have 'lusted in my heart' for that guitar for many years. I have since found another Millenium Eagle that scratched the itch. Otherwise I'd be after this amazing Heritage.

If I recall correctly, doesn't this Millennium have a thick neck?

User Info Menu

The neck dimensions are in the range of the 59 carve but slightly thinner than the mean. The first fret is 0.87" and the 12th is 1.02". I owned a L-5 with a fatter neck.

The neck was carved by Marv Lamb, who began working at Gibson in 1956 and did neck builds on the late 50s LPs. He was shooting for a 59 neck with a bit a of D rather than C feel. I think that's a fair description.

This is not one of those thinner neck Heritages. If that's what you want, or a slim taper 60s, this ain't it.

I know some people are highly particular about neck carves. I happen to be less so but generally go for a medium to slightly thinner thickness. But really, within a few minutes of playing I don't even notice the thickness.

The pic of the guy playing this Millie is RhoadesScholar. He had the same general tastes about neck carves. One of his favorite guitars was the Heritage American Eagle, which he also gigged with. That had a very thin neck. I never heard him complain.

User Info Menu

By the way, the guitar looks tiny on Bob Lafond because he's 6"4". The dimensions are:

Neck 17 degree peghead pitch; one-piece mahogany neck; white bound peghead inlaid with The Heritage in pearl Fingerboard 24 3/4” scale ebony white bound fingerboard with 22 frets; mother of pearl block inlays
    Radius is 12"
    Nut width is 1-11/16"
    Body Single cutaway, semi-solid body with solid carved multiple white bound ultra curly maple top and single white bound solid flat mahogany back and solid mahogany rim; no pickguard; with f-holes.
    Body Size
    Rim Thickness – 1 3/4”
    Body Width – 13 1/4”
    Body Length – 17 5/8”

User Info Menu

This shows what the guitar looks like after Pete Moreno put an ebony pickguard on it and installed the Lollar Imperials.

Custom Heritage Ultra Millennium Standard-20200710_205435-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Custom Heritage Ultra Millennium Standard-20200710_205514-jpg 

User Info Menu

That is a lot of guitar for the money. Tempting for sure.
    RIP Rhodes. What a nice guy.

User Info Menu

Just noticed the toggle switch location. Looking at back of the guitar there was only a control cavity plate cover. Looking at front the switch is located at the high side bout. Interesting. I like that without another cavity through the back.

User Info Menu

It's a nice day, so I took some outside pics to better show the wood. I also forgot to mention it was upgraded to Imperial tuners when it got the ebony pickguard and the Lollar Imperials.

Flickr

Custom Heritage Ultra Millennium Standard-20200711_121744-jpg

I can't get rid of the malrotated pics below, so tilt your heads. I know how to prevent them but forgot to do this. Once their uploaded even as a preview, I don't think you can get rid of them. Sorry.
    Attached Images Attached Images Custom Heritage Ultra Millennium Standard-20200711_121403-jpg Custom Heritage Ultra Millennium Standard-20200711_121630-jpg Custom Heritage Ultra Millennium Standard-20200711_121718-jpg Custom Heritage Ultra Millennium Standard-20200711_121744-jpg Custom Heritage Ultra Millennium Standard-20200711_121847-jpg Custom Heritage Ultra Millennium Standard-20200711_121921-jpg Custom Heritage Ultra Millennium Standard-20200711_122013-jpg Custom Heritage Ultra Millennium Standard-20200711_122041-jpg 

User Info Menu

I think about Bob a lot. Selling a dead person’s guitars is never joyful unless all the funds go to the family of the deceased. I sincerely hope the funds go to Bob LaFond’s loved ones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I think about Bob a lot. Selling a dead person’s guitars is never joyful unless all the funds go to the family of the deceased. I sincerely hope the funds go to Bob LaFond’s loved ones.
    Sorry bro, but wasn't this a trade? Apologize for my ignorance if it wasn't.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Like Jimmy Swaggart, I have 'lusted in my heart' for that guitar for many years.
    Likewise. I've always like this one.

RIP Bob.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Like Jimmy Swaggart, I have 'lusted in my heart' for that guitar for many years.
    Wrong Jimmy!

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.
    Wrong Jimmy!

Danny W.
    Doh! Please accept my edits.

"I have sinnnned!" (Swaggart)

"I have lusted...!" (Carter)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Sorry bro, but wasn't this a trade? Apologize for my ignorance if it wasn't.
    Rhoades (Bob) left behind 40 guitars. One was borrowed from me for him to use while his ES-125 was being repaired. Bob was from the Detroit area, a bit north of it. My daughter lives near his old place. I'd often meet Bob there and temporarily swap guitars or I'd bring his to Kalamazoo for them to be worked on.

A few months before he died, he moved to a smaller home. I traded a couple of guitars and money for several of his guitars. In that deal I got the Millie for the second or third time. This Millie was also owned by a friend of ours in New York, with whom we often traded. That's how we've rolled for a decade. Tomorrow the guy in New York will receive a H-157 Limited with P-90/Staple pickups from me and I'll get his H-555.

Bob had two boys who play guitar. They are preparing to sell some of his instruments. I've provided a lot of background info on the Gibsons and Heritages I'm familiar with. I've offered to help them post them on this forum.

To give a perspective on my guitars, Bob has owned a L-5, two Super Eagles, two or three Thorntons, a Gibson semi, a Legrand, a Lucille, the Millie, and probably one or two others I don't recall that I owned at the time of his death. He's played virtually all of my guitars and borrowed many others. His collection contains a large number of my old guitars.

Regarding Bob's family, he was single and lived alone. His kids are grown up and moved out.

This is not similar to Patrick's death, where he had a dependent wife and son. Further, both of Bob's sons are musicians and can manage the guitar collection. They have no interest in the Millie. In fact they've offered to sell me some of Bob's instruments I used to own (7 of them). Years ago Bob and I got the twins their current guitars and they have 40 more to select from if they'd like. They are the only heirs, and they are not in financial need. I will see them at the memorial service when COVID-19 allows.

Bob had only one special guitar, meaning one with a strong emotional tie. That was his Martin he had since childhood. All of the others just rented space in his life. I'm the same way. That's in part why we got along so well.

User Info Menu

I don't know what to make of that comment. Bob was single, lived alone and owned his house. His boys wouldn't want a donation. Bob wouldn't want $2K in flowers at his memorial.

I believe what I've given and continue to give his family is more important than money. But there was money, too. About six years ago Bob had a shortfall and unexpected expenses. I lent him $12K and bought a couple of guitars as well. He made the last payment early this year when he came into some serious cash. But he would have done the same for me. His twins are now grown up, moved out, and have families of their own.

User Info Menu

I received two questions I'll respond to. First, my digital scale shows 7.8 lbs with the pickguard on it. Second, Heritage was using medium/jumbo fretwire at the time, as I understand it. The frets are typical for Heritage, whatever size they are.

User Info Menu

No judgment at all Mark. I know Bob had split recently with his wife before his death and was unaware of his son's financial situations. Bob would come out to Ca. to see his one son in college and we would hook up. LOL with the sale my friend. A real beauty. Bob was a good soul.
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 07-17-2020 at 05:17 PM.

User Info Menu

No judgment at all Mark. I know Bob had split recently with his wife before his death and was unaware of his son’s financial situations. Bob would come out to Ca. to see his one son in college and we would hook up.
    LOL with the sale my friend. A real beauty. Bob was a good soul.
    I agree with you, Vinny, and you are a good soul, too!

A guitar dealer who Bob and I had/have as a friend let me know he's been in touch with Bob's son Jason. Green Oak Guitar - Home | Facebook Bob's sons haven't decided what guitars to sell, if any. But his sons will get help whenever they want. The same is true with trust management. My daughter, who is an attorney, was a friend of Bob and has offered advice. Right now the family seems to be cruising.

I'm helping unwind my parents-in-law trusts currently. Nothing moves quickly with COVID-19.

User Info Menu

Glwys.
    Last edited by Gitfiddler; 07-17-2020 at 06:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Stunning wood for sure on that one. Love the sweaty pic of Bob tearing it up on stage.He left us too soon. A true Guitaraholic like many of us.

User Info Menu

Is this guitar still available? Any flexibility on price?

Thanks

User Info Menu

New to form but familiar with Heritage. I'm interested in this guitar. How do you contact the owner?
    Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ficecone
    New to form but familiar with Heritage. I'm interested in this guitar. How do you contact the owner?
    Thanks
    Go to the first post, click on the poster's name and select "private message."

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Still available. I've been using it at practice. This will make someone pretty happy. It's built very well and plays beautifully.