Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

let me know what you have and how much.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jack Z do you still have an endorsement deal with 77 guitars? Perhaps they can make one to your preferred spec and avoid the search hassle.
    Either way good luck in the hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Jack Z do you still have an endorsement deal with 77 guitars? Perhaps they can make one to your preferred spec and avoid the search hassle.
    Either way good luck in the hunt!
    I still have an endorsement deal but I'm unable to get any special pricing and custom orders are > 12 months so I'd prefer to find one that someone wants to sell...

User Info Menu

Listed on reverb: the US distributor for Seventy Seven has a used one pickup Hawk deep jazz, a used one pickup Hawk deep standard, and a new two pickup Hawk deep jazz. I’ve been lusting after one of the jazz deeps but need to sell some stuff on my end first.

User Info Menu

Also, Rich Severson has a mid-1970s Gibson Howard Roberts for sale that sounds really, really nice:

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Listed on reverb: the US distributor for Seventy Seven has a used one pickup Hawk deep jazz, a used one pickup Hawk deep standard, and a new two pickup Hawk deep jazz. I’ve been lusting after one of the jazz deeps but need to sell some stuff on my end first.
    the one I want is the two pickup version. I wish I could find a used one!

User Info Menu

Take a look at digimart.net

Quote Originally Posted by stevus
    Take a look at digimart.net
    awesome site but they do not have the standard hawk jazz other than the cheaper JT model. I'm not sure but I think the JT models are built in the cheaper factory in korea with cheaper components.

Incidentally, the newer version of the hawk jazz is a super deluxe guitar and much more expensive than the previous years' models.

User Info Menu

Apparently they are changing their production line. I assume they must have difficulties too. You can also look for the Exrubato Jazz. Different looks but similar sound.

Apparently they are changing their production line. I assume they must have difficulties too. You can also look for the Exrubato Jazz. Different looks but similar sound.
    my concern there is that the exrubato jazz is fully hollow and with the thick necks seventy seven uses, is probably going to have some neck dive.

But they are doing more than just changing their production line from what I've heard. They are also making it a more deluxe instrument with upgraded woods and hardware so it's considerably more expensive

User Info Menu

Never heard of a neck dive in the Exrubato Jazz. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Never heard of a neck dive in the Exrubato Jazz. I wouldn't worry too much about that.
    I have actually. And any of the full hollow 335 style guitars like the 330 and similar models from guild and heritage all exhibit neck dive. The exrubato jazz has a maple neck which is much heavier than the mahogany they normally use. Even the semihollow 335 style guitars neck dive like the heritage 555. Very uncomfortable for me. It doesn't bother some folks but I hate continually pulling the neck up while i'm playing.

User Info Menu

I expect it will not be easy to find a used Hawk Jazz in the US. You could check sites of Japanese stores like TCGakki, Dolphin or Last Guitars. There are many more.

User Info Menu

Jack, what do you consider a thick neck? My white Exrubato Jazz may have been a custom order because the neck doesn’t seem very thick to me—at least compared to something like my 1950s Baja Telecaster. I play sitting without a strap, but I’d be happy to measure the neck and also evaluate for neck dive if you think it’s something you might be interested in.

Jack, what do you consider a thick neck? My white Exrubato Jazz may have been a custom order because the neck doesn’t seem very thick to me—at least compared to something like my 1950s Baja Telecaster. I play sitting without a strap, but I’d be happy to measure the neck and also evaluate for neck dive if you think it’s something you might be interested in.
    It's kind of hard to quantify but I've had 5 or 6 seventy seven guitars and they are all thicker than the Gibson 59 neck on their 339 series guitars. If you remember, gibson offered the 30/60 neck and the 59 neck. The 30/60 was a medium and the 59 was the fatter of the two. My custom exrubato has a custom ordered slim neck but even that is thicker than any other guitar I've owned in recent years. I don't think gibson makes a guitar anymore with the neck thickness of the seventy seven. It's thicker than the SRV profile fender neck. I guess I would consider it something in between an SRV neck and a boat neck.

Definitely thicker than anything fender, gibson, guild, ibanez or heritage are making.

Don't worry about evaluating neck dive. I think I want a full sized archtop. I greatly appreciate your offer though!

User Info Menu

That makes me think this must be a custom neck because I would in no way classify it as a boat neck. It feels medium but wide.

Just sort of eyeballing with a ruler I’m seeing ~24/32” at first fret and ~27/32 at 12th feet.

That makes me think this must be a custom neck because I would in no way classify it as a boat neck. It feels medium but wide.

Just sort of eyeballing with a ruler I’m seeing ~24/32” at first fret and ~27/32 at 12th feet.
    my custom is 15/16th at the first fret so yours is indeed quite a bit smaller

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I have actually. And any of the full hollow 335 style guitars like the 330 and similar models from guild and heritage all exhibit neck dive. The exrubato jazz has a maple neck which is much heavier than the mahogany they normally use. Even the semihollow 335 style guitars neck dive like the heritage 555. Very uncomfortable for me. It doesn't bother some folks but I hate continually pulling the neck up while i'm playing.
    I hate neck heavy guitars this could be the reason I never liked 335's mostly now that you mention it. I can get a Les Paul to sit correct because it is thinner and can adjust with strap.

Jack you always go back to the 175 it seems. Find a good 175 with mahogany neck and keep it I think that is your sound. While you do many things I like the sound you got on the Kessel and the 175's I have heard. Other stuff certainly good but a bit more round and nice on those guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I hate neck heavy guitars this could be the reason I never liked 335's mostly now that you mention it. I can get a Les Paul to sit correct because it is thinner and can adjust with strap.

Jack you always go back to the 175 it seems. Find a good 175 with mahogany neck and keep it I think that is your sound. While you do many things I like the sound you got on the Kessel and the 175's I have heard. Other stuff certainly good but a bit more round and nice on those guitars.
    if I could find a nice one, believe me i would but it seems they are amazingly inconsistent.

User Info Menu

Hi,

I have a nice, 81’ Epi Emperor TH listed down the line. I know you could make this thing sing!

Regards,
    DJ

bump - i'd love to find one from someone I know on here as opposed to a random seller on reverb...

User Info Menu

I've got that '88 ES-175 I bought from you a couple of years ago.
    As it turns out I really don't play it very much...
    It's in the exact same condition as when you sold it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmanstever
    I've got that '88 ES-175 I bought from you a couple of years ago.
    As it turns out I really don't play it very much...
    It's in the exact same condition as when you sold it to me.
    i sent you a PM, very interested!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    i sent you a PM, very interested!
    Jack I found one but you better have deep pockets it seems to be the premier 175

Gruhn Guitars

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Jack I found one but you better have deep pockets it seems to be the premier 175

Gruhn Guitars
    i'll pass on that one.

User Info Menu

Heritage 575MH? Single Benedetto B6 pickup. Spruce top, Mahogany back and sides. Ebony fretboard. PM me if interested. Pics posted in listing in this forum topic.

Quote Originally Posted by TSP
    Heritage 575MH? Single Benedetto B6 pickup. Spruce top, Mahogany back and sides. Ebony fretboard. PM me if interested. Pics posted in listing in this forum topic.
    thanks but not really looking for a 575

still looking.

bump

bump