Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Hi All,

I purchased this guitar from Mandolin Brothers in 2006, brand new. I believe it was built in 2001; it's been carefully stored its whole life and used very little.

The price is $3,000 cash or PayPal. I'm looking to do a local pickup or reasonable meet-up, as the case and guitar are very heavy. I'm near Manchester, CT.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Thanks,
    Bill
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________

Bill Moll John Pizzarelli 7-String For Sale - low hours, gigged 2 times, very good condition, with case.

Excellent playability, warm acoustic and electric tone. The guitar is quite loud acoustically. The nitro finish has some checking (not readily visible in normal light).

Features: Laminated Spruce top, Laminated Maple back and sides. Ebony fingerboard, bridge, tailpiece.

Schaller machine heads, Straplock on neck.

Moll pickup with Volume control, endpin input jack.

Body: 17" @ lower bout. 3" depth.

Nut: measures 2.023" with dial calipers.

Scale length: 25.5 inches.

Action @ 12th fret: just over 1/8" on bass side; 3/32" treble side.

Recent setup with new John Pearse Jazz Medium (12-52), and D'Addario .065 wound bass strings.

The label was signed by John Pizzarelli and Bill Moll.

Amazing Moll molded flight-ready hardshell case included.

Here's a link to Mr. Pizzarelli playing this model:

Bill Moll John Pizzarelli 7-string For Sale-moll_fnt_1-jpg

Bill Moll John Pizzarelli 7-string For Sale-moll_fnt_4-jpg

Bill Moll John Pizzarelli 7-string For Sale-moll_back_3-jpg

Bill Moll John Pizzarelli 7-string For Sale-moll_hdpc1-jpg

Bill Moll John Pizzarelli 7-string For Sale-moll_neck_back-jpg

Bill Moll John Pizzarelli 7-string For Sale-moll_label-jpg

Bill Moll John Pizzarelli 7-string For Sale-moll_case_frnt-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Bill Moll John Pizzarelli 7-string For Sale-moll_action_1-jpg 
    Last edited by b_goat; 06-24-2020 at 05:08 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Photos with finish checking (difficult to see in normal light):
    Attached Images Attached Images Bill Moll John Pizzarelli 7-string For Sale-moll_back_checkingatcutaway-jpg Bill Moll John Pizzarelli 7-string For Sale-moll_neckjoint_2-jpg Bill Moll John Pizzarelli 7-string For Sale-moll_neckjoint_1-jpg Bill Moll John Pizzarelli 7-string For Sale-moll_frnt_lowerbout_checking1-jpg Bill Moll John Pizzarelli 7-string For Sale-moll_frnt_lowerbout_checking2-jpg Bill Moll John Pizzarelli 7-string For Sale-moll_binding_checking-jpg Bill Moll John Pizzarelli 7-string For Sale-moll_back_checkingatupperbout-jpg 
    Last edited by b_goat; 06-20-2020 at 06:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Wow, gorgeous instrument! You don't see these often on the used market! [Wish it were a 6-string!]

GLWTS!

User Info Menu

Yes, an absolutely beautiful guitar made by a top notch luthier who has, unfortunately, retired from making guitars for the most part. But more the reason to acquire a Bill Moll guitar!

I don’t want to derail the “for sale” thread here but I’m wondering why seven string archtops can’t be played as a six string archtop. Is it that the extra string confuses the six string player? And, could said string be removed if that is a problem? Is the nut width or string spacing substantially different from a six string archtop? Just wondering.

And, Moderator, please feel free to move this to a more appropriate sub-forum, if necessary.

And, GLWTS!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Eisele
    Yes, an absolutely beautiful guitar made by a top notch luthier who has, unfortunately, retired from making guitars for the most part. But more the reason to acquire a Bill Moll guitar!

I don’t want to derail the “for sale” thread here but I’m wondering why seven string archtops can’t be played as a six string archtop. Is it that the extra string confuses the six string player? And, could said string be removed if that is a problem? Is the nut width or string spacing substantially different from a six string archtop? Just wondering.

And, Moderator, please feel free to move this to a more appropriate sub-forum, if necessary.

And, GLWTS!
    It depends on the player. We all have different ways of relating to the instrument. Oft times it's important to have the string closest to you be the lowest string you relate to, so Low E string at the bass side of the fingerboard is where you find your bass note roots.
    Many people's hands also relate to the middle of the fingerboard as where the D and G strings form the centre of the strings. It can be disconcerting for the D string to be in the middle of the fingerboard.
    But as I said, it's different from everyone. I have rarely met anyone who, once they've picked one up and played a 7 string, thinks of it or tactile wise thinks of it as a "six string with a string added to the bass".
    That's a pretty guitar. Too bad it didn't seem to get much use. I guess there's further evidence that there's something about a 7 that's off putting in some way.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Jimmy, for the insights on the seven vs. six string archtop guitars and how players might approach them differently. I infrequently play an eight string lap steel guitar in C6 tuning but using six string tab. Even though the six strings in the tab are nestled between the first and eighth string, I still have to think about it from time to time.

Nonetheless, there has to be a seven string player out there with GAS (or a seven string curious six string player). For comparison sake, there’s a carved top Moll archtop on Reverb right now for $7500. To be able to purchase a similar laminated Bill Moll archtop for $4500 less has to be an absolute bargain, if you fit into one of those categories.

Now turning this thread back over to the OP!

User Info Menu

Bump. Thanks!

User Info Menu

The neck of a 7-string is generally wider than the typical 6-string, but not always. The 7th string can be easily removed, and the tuner hole can be filled and the guitar made into a 6-string. On a modern 7-string, the neck will usually be too wide to be comfortable for most 6-string players. I once owned a very early 7-string built by Bob Benedetto, apparently the third 7-string he built, and it had a 1.75" nut width. It was apparently unattractive as a 7-string, so it was converted to a 6-string and quickly sold, for a price that astounded me. 7-string archtops are not all that popular, thus the price is generally lower than for a comparable 6-string model.

User Info Menu

Thanks!

User Info Menu

GLWTS! Lovely guitar at a great price! If I didn’t have my hands full with six strings I’d consider it!

User Info Menu

Thanks!

User Info Menu

That's a really good deal on a very nice instrument. I'm surprised it's still available! If I was gigging enough I'd definitely consider it! Unfortunately being a poor musician rent comes firt,lol!

User Info Menu

I'd be interested but I live in the uk and wouldn't be able to pay for two weeks. Sorry. But get in touch if that sounds ok, cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hey bopper
    I'd be interested but I live in the uk and wouldn't be able to pay for two weeks. Sorry. But get in touch if that sounds ok, cheers
    Thanks, but I'm not shipping internationally.

For others, will consider shipping to the Lower 48 states - if anyone is interested, please PM me to discuss terms. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Bump