User Info Menu

1965 Raven Archtop Semi - got some better pix and measurements
    Raven guitars were made in Japan at the Matsumoku plant and the brand was exclusive to Canada - not sure who the distributor was - anyone know?
    This one has been restored to great playing condition.
    It's a fully hollow ES-335 copy, or an ES-330 copy with humbuckers, depending how you look at it. Hey, The Japanese hadn't quite gotten the full picture in '65. Point is that it's a swell guitar, in great shape.

-All seams are tight.
    -Wiring harness has been re-done , with original pots & caps, replaced jacks and switches.
    -Braided wire grounded to the bridge - the guitar does not hum.
    -Original humbucking pickups sound great.
    -Re-fretted with stainless steel jumbo frets.
    -New bone nut.
    -Vintage looking modern tuners.
    -Bridge base has been properly fitted to the top of the guitar for maximum tone transfer.
    -Available with Japanese Bigsby copy or regular trapeze tailpiece - your
    choice. The Bigsby copy is really bang-on.
    -Gig bag included. I can always provide it in a hardshell case for a few more shekels.

Some specs:
    9.5" Radius
    Nut width: 1 9/16"
    Neck depth 1st fret: 3/4"
    Neck depth at 10th fret: 3/4".
    Neck tapers in width but not depth.
    And the damned thing sounds GREAT!

Also included are a Fran’s Diner Receipt and Nickelodian Dinner Club ticket from May 11th 1974 that were with the guitar. Woohoo!

$525 via PP-F&F or cheque, plus shipping anywhere.
    Can be shipped with the neck off in a much smaller box, to save shipping $$$.
    Can be shipped in an ES-335-style hardshell case for extra $$ - I have a few spare cases.
    Get your budget Emily Remler vibe!
    As the pix show, it's in great shape.
    What's that? you want a wood bridge, or a regular tune-o-matic? Trapeze tailpiece (as mentioned above)? Sure, I can make any of that happen.
    Come on down!

Last edited by Hammertone; 10-13-2020 at 11:47 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hmmm. My birth year.

User Info Menu

My, that is cheap. Looks a bargain.

User Info Menu

Homesick James seems to have used one although his looks like it has single coil pickups:

1965 Raven (Matsumoku) semi - ES335/330 mashup - great guitar, cheap!-homesick-james-10-16-15-bestelno-asv-314-jpg

...and Fred McDowell:

1965 Raven (Matsumoku) semi - ES335/330 mashup - great guitar, cheap!-bc68f561983c4e71f6b427406c71d0ea-jpg
    Last edited by TOMMO; 05-21-2020 at 02:45 AM.

User Info Menu

I wonder if that Fran's receipt was from an after-gig meal? In 1974, that was just about the only place in Toronto where you could get food after 1 AM other than those two diners at Dupont and Bathurst.

I really like the idea of this guitar. The full hollow thin body with the humbuckers in a really inexpensive platform are pretty much my idea of a perfect hollow body for me. If I was still in Canada I'd snap it up. (And we may come back ... I think I'll keep watching this one).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Homesick James seems to have used one although his looks like it has single coil pickups:

1965 Raven (Matsumoku) semi - ES335/330 mashup - great guitar, cheap!-homesick-james-10-16-15-bestelno-asv-314-jpg

...and Fred McDowell:

1965 Raven (Matsumoku) semi - ES335/330 mashup - great guitar, cheap!-bc68f561983c4e71f6b427406c71d0ea-jpg

There ya go! Street cred!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    My, that is cheap. Looks a bargain.
    Why, yes, it is a bargain! Come on down!
    This one is a great deal, and plays like a million bucks!
    Jens Ritter would be green with envy!
    Last edited by Hammertone; 10-13-2020 at 11:51 PM.

User Info Menu

More pix: