Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Not my listing and NFI. I like posting these listings from the cafe over here because I always learn some fun facts from the ensuing discussion.

Mandolin Classifieds

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cool guitar and in good shape. It has an asymmetrical style neck called the “Gretsch Miracle Neck", kind of like an off-set v neck similar to found on some upright basses. It's a pretty hefty neck and my guess, not for everyone. I actually saw and played one of those years ago but since I'm a lefty and the asymmetrical neck was designed for a righty, it just felt totally weird in my hands.

User Info Menu

cool old gretsch, gotta love the cats eyes

cheers

That looks like Django. Not sure I’ve ever seen a photo of him playing anything except the Selmer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz
    That looks like Django. Not sure I’ve ever seen a photo of him playing anything except the Selmer.
    It is him. He also played a Gibson archtop the last couple of years he was alive.

User Info Menu

yes that's django with harry volpe..volpe was a fine player and teacher...and gretsch endorser!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Pretty aggressively priced for a mid-range model from an era where they were not installing adjustable truss rods.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    He also played a Gibson archtop the last couple of years he was alive.
    And let's not forget the Levin he borrowed from Freddie Guy.

1946 Gretsch Synchromatic 200 Guitar-about_django_reinhardt-1-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nopedals
    Pretty aggressively priced for a mid-range model from an era where they were not installing adjustable truss rods.
    yep, and that's why so many of his guitars remain for sale.

User Info Menu

well the legend is when django came to the states..he didn't bring a guitar...figuring that he was going to get some endorsement guitars from the manufacturers when they heard he was here...unfortunately tho the great players like volpe, and johnny smith and les paul all flocked to him...the guitar manufacturers didn't...

who knows the real reasons surrounding that

but my fave django sides have always been his later electric archtop sides...

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    And let's not forget the Levin he borrowed from Freddie Guy.

1946 Gretsch Synchromatic 200 Guitar-about_django_reinhardt-1-jpg
    Forget? Never knew that in the first place, thanks for the pic.

User Info Menu

couple more pics from backsatge @ the Paramount Theater playing Fred Guy's Levin, the latter being one of the most famous pics of Django.
    an old friend, pianist Ted Gerike [rip] caught him w/Ellington on that tour @ the Academy Of Music in Philly, a superb venue, he told me that the band played a few numbers and then a single spotlight on Django solo, then he played w/the band.

User Info Menu

Really like that fingerrest.
    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    cool old gretsch, gotta love the cats eyes

cheers

User Info Menu

I like it! Not as much as the seller, but I like it. I've always thought that headstock and the cat-eyes were cool. I have a '53 pre-Streamliner that I love and have thought about adding an acoustic Gretsch to the mix.

User Info Menu

Looks like a neat old guitar.
    Asking $3,475 with original hard case included.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 04-09-2020 at 07:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    Forget? Never knew that in the first place, thanks for the pic.
    You're welcome. Off the top of my head I know of five archtop guitars that Django played: The Gretsch, a Gibson ES-300, the Levin, a Rio and and a Epiphone Zephyr. May be more, but that's all I know for now.

User Info Menu

I owned for a long while its upscale sister, the synchro 300. All original except my own-made pickguard

1946 Gretsch Synchromatic 200 Guitar-75aad36c-9342-4710-b63e-95be2e71a084-jpeg

All these pics have me now wondering if I’ve ever seen a photo of Django *with* a Selmer.... Maybe my mind has been playing tricks on me and simply imposing a Selmer into every photo of Django I’ve looked at.