Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 46 of 46

User Info Menu

SOLD as of June 29, 2020.
    I posted this one awhile back. Long & McQuade in Cambridge ON has a new, blonde 17" Campellone for sale. The guitar was ordered by Glenn Murch when he still ran the place. Murch Music was one of the handful of official Campellone dealers, and when the store was sold to Long&Mcquade, there was still a bit of a "jazz guitar room." Glenn has since retired, the store has since moved, but the guitar is still available. The store manager would be happy to sell the thing for WAY less that the listed price, since it has been there since ... 2014. AND, the Canadian dollar is way down against the US dollar. Whoever buys this will get a great deal.

I played it yesterday and it's a lovely guitar. Someone in the store has been taking care of it - fresh strings, in tune, proper action, kept in the humidity-controlled acoustic room. It has a real Goldilocks neck - not too big, not too small, just right. If I was still in buying mode and didn't already have a couple of Campellones, in addition to many other acoustic archtops, I'd grab it in a flash.

The guitar was built in 2014:
    -"Standard" model appointments
    -ebony fretboard & tailpiece inserts
    -17" body width
    -3" rim depth
    -25.5" scale
    -1&11/16" nut
    -parallel top bracing
    Attached Images Attached Images New-Old-Stock Campellone 17" Standard for sale at retail-img_8514-jpg New-Old-Stock Campellone 17" Standard for sale at retail-img_8513-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 06-30-2020 at 12:33 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Couple more pix...price tag shows Canadian dollars. That translates into way less in USD. That's before any discounts.
    Attached Images Attached Images New-Old-Stock Campellone 17" Standard for sale at retail-img_8516-jpg New-Old-Stock Campellone 17" Standard for sale at retail-img_8515-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 06-29-2020 at 06:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Mark Campellone builds great guitars! Other than the fancier woods and such, these are the same guitar sound and playability wise as his most expensive models.

User Info Menu

I have also played that same guitar a number of times in the store. It sounds very good, looks great and is very comfortable to play. If I didn’t already own a Campellone, I would be all over it.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Still there, if anyone is interested.
    Phone: (519) 622-1970
    Email: cambridge@long-mcquade.com
    175 Beverly Street
    Cambridge, Ontario, N1R 7Y9
    Fred Burchill - Store Manager
    Email: fburchill@long-mcquade.com
    Last edited by Hammertone; 06-30-2020 at 08:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Thats a good deal on a great luthier built instrument! If you lile Gibson L-5C, L-7C, style guitars, it doesnt get any better!

User Info Menu

Does anyone have any insight as to whether this guitar with x bracing would sound a whole lot different? Does it still retain an acoustic quality while plugged in with the parallel bracing?

User Info Menu

My two cents worth,
    Mark did "X bracing" fairly early on & now only "X Braces" by order. I asked him about X bracing awhile back, he told me he felt his "light Weight" parallel bracing provided superior tone. Of course, you can still get an X braced Campellone when ordering a new instrument.
    IT'S ALL GOOD!!

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for your replies guys.

Warning, sort of a hard question.
    Do you think it sounds like this at all or has the capacity to with the right pickup and touch ect. Like does it have that bright yet thick mid-top range that I hear in Daan's Campellone.

Thanks guys!

User Info Menu

The honest answer is maybe. Tone is effected by the type pickup (or no pickup), strings, type of pick or finger style, the type amp used, volume levels and many other variables including the players personal attack & playing style. You play that same guitar as soon as he finished & your sound could be totally different.
    Good Luck on your tone quest, been there, done that (many times)
    Don Nielsen
    Last edited by 17571; 05-06-2020 at 08:50 AM.

User Info Menu

A freind of mine has the Deluxe model by Campellone with similar specs. It sounds wonderful just like a great acoustic Gibson L-5C with a suspended pickup should.
    He told me in his talks with Mark Campellone, that Mark bases his sound and designs on an old Gibson L-7C. So hopefully that will give you an idea of what to expect.

Nice playing Dan Kleijn on "Where or When"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Still available.
    That's an excellent price considering these guitars have all increased in value. Wow, I'd grab it if it was within my budget. That's a bonafide steal!

User Info Menu

Is that the store owned (or used to be owned) by the Murch brothers?

User Info Menu

Yes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone View Post
    Yes
    That would explain why an L&M store would have a guitar like this. Is Keith still part of the store? I met him at the old jazz guitar show on Long Island. He's a really nice player who genuinely believes in jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway View Post
    That would explain why an L&M store would have a guitar like this. Is Keith still part of the store? I met him at the old jazz guitar show on Long Island. He's a really nice player who genuinely believes in jazz guitar.
    Hi Jim:
    I remember meeting you at the LI Guitar Show. My brother (Glenn) and I talked to you about your long scale 7 String guitars, which were really cool. It was actually Glenn who owned the store before Long and McQuade. I was never involved in the business (other than being a regular customer and occasional volunteer at Glenn’s guitar events). As Hammertone has indicated, Glenn had a keen interest in archtops and established dealership arrangements with a number of high profile archtop luthiers. A lot of really great guitars passed through the store over the years. He was a big fan of Mark Campellone's guitars and sold quite a few of them (I bought two). The one that is the subject of this thread is one of the last ones that they brought in from Mark’s shop before Glenn retired. It’s a very nice guitar.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup View Post
    Hi Jim:
    I remember meeting you at the LI Guitar Show. My brother (Glenn) and I talked to you about your long scale 7 String guitars, which were really cool. It was actually Glenn who owned the store before Long and McQuade. I was never involved in the business (other than being a regular customer and occasional volunteer at Glenn’s guitar events). As Hammertone has indicated, Glenn had a keen interest in archtops and established dealership arrangements with a number of high profile archtop luthiers. A lot of really great guitars passed through the store over the years. He was a big fan of Mark Campellone's guitars and sold quite a few of them (I bought two). The one that is the subject of this thread is one of the last ones that they brought in from Mark’s shop before Glenn retired. It’s a very nice guitar.
    Keith
    Hi Keith. Great to hear from you. I never got to the store but I know from reputation that the Murch influence remained strong. For the non-Canadians in the crowd, Long & McQuade is about the closest thing Canada has to Guitar Center. Now imagine if they had one outlet that was run by say Max405 You can be pretty certain that a) it's the only L&M that would have a Campellone in stock and B) that it would probably be a great Campellone.

User Info Menu

If I didn't already own a Campellone Standard, this guitar would be mighty tempting. I can't believe it's still available. Great guitar. First time I played a Campellone, I fell in love with it.

User Info Menu

This is tempting. Does anyone know if there's a link where you can view more pictures? I don't see volume or tone controls for the pickup. Am I missing something? I normally would never buy a guitar without playing it, but this may make me bend the rules. What's the best way to contact them to inquire about it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieAG View Post
    This is tempting. Does anyone know if there's a link where you can view more pictures? I don't see volume or tone controls for the pickup. Am I missing something? I normally would never buy a guitar without playing it, but this may make me bend the rules. What's the best way to contact them to inquire about it?
    I have played the guitar. The volume control is mounted under the pickguard. If you look closely at Hammertone’s pics you can see at least one dial under the guard. I don’t remember if there was also a tone control mounted there or not. I would recommend that you call Fred Burchill (the store manager) at (519) 622-1970. Fred can answer any questions you have about the guitar. I have owned a couple of Campellones and played dozens more. This one is a very typical example of Mark’s guitars.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Sigh...I wish I had the funds. Would they countenance a layaway? Could they ship it in a Hiscox Pro II Jumbo?

User Info Menu

This is tempting. Does anyone know if there's a link where you can view more pictures?...
    Robbie: I took those pictures. The only other useful picture is of the label (below). My guess is that this one guitar is hardly a priority for a company with over 80 stores across Canada.
    Attached Images Attached Images New-Old-Stock Campellone 17" Standard for sale at retail-img_8512-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 07-01-2020 at 05:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway View Post
    Hi Keith. Great to hear from you. I never got to the store but I know from reputation that the Murch influence remained strong. For the non-Canadians in the crowd, Long & McQuade is about the closest thing Canada has to Guitar Center. Now imagine if they had one outlet that was run by say Max405 You can be pretty certain that a) it's the only L&M that would have a Campellone in stock and B) that it would probably be a great Campellone.
    Jim, you forgot C..
    C): They would go out of business because I would take all the stock home with me and there would be nothing left to sell in the store!
    Thanks buddy. JD

User Info Menu

If you download the upper photo and then enlarge it there does appear to be a thumb roll volume knob on the pick guard. You can barely see it, but it appears to be there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    If you download the upper photo and then enlarge it there does appear to be a thumb roll volume knob on the pick guard. You can barely see it, but it appears to be there.
    The description on the L&M website states that there are both volume and tone controls:

“Campellone 17
    Hand made by Mark Campellone Venetian cutaway body with carved, hand graduated top of solid 3A spruce – carved, hand graduated back of solid 2A maple with matching solid maple rims, 3ply multi-bound top, single-bound back, fingerboard and peghead, single-bound tortoise-shell style pickguard, figured maple neck, ebony fingerboard with side dot position markers, ebony bridge with full contact base, Standard Series tailpiece of gold plated brass with ebony appliqué, gold Grover tuners with keystone buttons, floating pickup with pickguard mounted thumbwheel volume and tone controls, hard-shell case”

Clearance

User Info Menu

I saw another thread today w/ questions about a '41 ( ? ) L-7 non-cut acoustic -- no p/g, no electronics, s/b, average condition ( MHO ) for $ 2900. - $3000. which is at best a so-so deal......someone also mentioned it may even need frets....

I own 2 L-7's - a '37 ( x-braced ) and '52 ( parallel ) - - -both acoustics........and a Wesmo and recent Campellone built, also acoustic.......

And if it helps, and I hope it does, before I'd pay $3000. +/- for that '41, I'd pay whatever extra it'd take to buy this Campellone........I'd absolutely be willing to bet it'll sound better -without amplification - than the '41. It may not sound better than an x-braced '37, but I'm pretty sure it'll beat the '41.

Then factor in the price of adding a p/g, ( frets ? ) and electronics to the '41, and for my money you can't make a case for it. And this is a basically-new blonde cutaway !

So good luck, and again hope that helps. !

All MHO of course.
    Last edited by Dennis D; 06-21-2020 at 12:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D View Post
    I saw another thread today w/ questions about a '41 ( ? ) L-7 non-cut acoustic -- no p/g, no electronics, s/b, average condition ( MHO ) for $ 2900. - $3000. which is at best a so-so deal......someone also mentioned it may even need frets....

I own 2 L-7's - a '37 ( x-braced ) and '52 ( parallel ) - - -both acoustics........and a Wesmo and recent Campellone built, also acoustic.......

And if it helps, and I hope it does, before I'd pay $3000. +/- for that '41, I'd pay whatever extra it'd take to buy this Campellone........I'd absolutely be willing to bet it'll sound better -without amplification - than the '41. It may not sound better than an x-braced '37, but I'm pretty sure it'll beat the '41.

Then factor in the price of adding a p/g, ( frets ? ) and electronics to the '41, and for my money you can't make a case for it. And this is a basically-new blonde cutaway !

So good luck, and again hope that helps. !

All MHO of course.
    Dennis a brilliant post from the complete inside. This is the reason to read these threads. Great information from experience right now.

User Info Menu

Ditto Deacon!

User Info Menu

New-Old-Stock Campellone 17" Standard for sale at retail-6-21-002-1024x768-jpgNew-Old-Stock Campellone 17" Standard for sale at retail-2-25-003-768x1024-jpg

......And here's the group. And FWIW, no matter which string type or gauge, or pick, the best sounding one is the '37 L-7. Period.
    I just wondered why I never tried to find another, but Mark C building that 16 in. got me close !

And thanks to dM and Sky for the kind words.

Dennis

User Info Menu

Dennis, I agree with Deacon, great post.
    You are always a solid voice around here, always respectful to others and you always make great points.
    The right thing to say and best way to say it.
    And man you got some beautiful guitars.. your 52 and your L5 Wes side by side is one of the best shots I’ve seen here. That is a perfect tandem. Everything “Guitar” you could possibly want and need is right there in that one picture. Beautiful.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    Dennis, I agree with Deacon, great post.
    You are always a solid voice around here, always respectful to others and you always make great points.
    The right thing to say and best way to say it.
    And man you got some beautiful guitars.. your 52 and your L5 Wes side by side is one of the best shots I’ve seen here. That is a perfect tandem. Everything “Guitar” you could possibly want and need is right there in that one picture. Beautiful.
    Joe D
    Thanks Joe.
    As always I appreciate your kind words.
    That ' 52 was a real struggle in the beginning to get right. You know - -long scale, skinny frets. It was really clean but I'm guessing hadn't been set up correctly for a long time - -if ever. But now, thankfully, I can just experiment with strings a little.
    The '37 is just special. It makes me think of you and your D'Ang. If you ever stumble upon one of these picture frame L-7's, spend some time with it. The tops aren't as concerning as we used to think. Mark C also described and verified that ' double carve' that Gibson did on them, as I believe member QAm did here. Hope I have his name correct. That carve makes the tops look like they're sinking, but that isn't necessarily so.
    ( And some day maybe I can make sense of how you guys mic yours. )
    Anyway, glad you're still here too. So take care Joe all the best to you.
    Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis D; 06-22-2020 at 02:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Have been considering this guitar and following the discussion. Checked Mark's website and this model is listed at USD 5,200 brand spanking new, even if one has to wait a bit to get one (Prices | MCampellone.com, Standard Series | MCampellone.com ).

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this in fact a 6 yr old floor model that's been played by every Tom, Dick and Harry that's been through that store in the last several years? Seems to me that a little over a 20% discount from Mark's prices is hardly enough to offset that kind of abuse. Just my 10 cents (allowing for inflation, used to be 2 cents if I'm not mistaken ).... YMMV
    Last edited by v281; 06-22-2020 at 09:08 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by v281 View Post
    Have been considering this guitar and following the discussion. Checked Mark's website and this model is listed at USD 5,200 brand spanking new, even if one has to wait a bit to get one (Prices | MCampellone.com, Standard Series | MCampellone.com ).
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this in fact a 6 yr old floor model that's been played by every Tom, Dick and Harry that's been through that store in the last several years? Seems to me that a little over a 20% discount from Mark's prices is hardly enough to offset that kind of abuse. Just my 10 cents.... YMMV
    The guitar is in a separate humidified room, with a separate entrance. In the old store, it was also in a separate humidified room, with a separate entrance. Most customers do not enter that room.

Of those that do enter that room, most are looking for or at acoustic flattop guitars.

Of those who notice the guitar, it is hanging in the upper row of hooks, and no customer in his right mind would try to get it without asking a store staffer to retrieve it.

Of those for whom the guitar is retrieved, the price tag is prominently displayed, and store staffers tend to hover unless the player is an old guy like me.

My impression is that the guitar has been largely ignored for the past six years and is in as-new condition. I've seen and played it several times, and I detected no signs of abuse.

I have nothing to do with the store or the guitar - I just posted a PSA about it, given the interest in Mark's guitars on this forum.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 07-01-2020 at 05:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the clarification Hammertone :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by v281 View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Hammertone :-)

And just to make sure, I just reviewed HT's prices again....If $6200. CDN converts to $4600.US before any discounts, and if MarkC's new ones are $5200., US, I'd have to say anywhere between $4000 and $4600. on this one should be about right.

Just MHO, and hopefully I'm not steering anyone wrong - -does this sound right to everyone, or ?

Hope so - -and good luck!

User Info Menu

The advantage of this one, ISTM, is that you don't have to wait for months to get it, and it has had time to age a bit and the finish should be more than set. The downside would probably be that it has not been played much, and hasn't opened up, so it could sound a little dead for awhile after purchase. But a brand new specimen hasn't been opened up either, so I think the advantages may outweigh the disadvantages. If I were in the market for a deep bodied archtop, and had the available funds, I would be sorely tempted. I'm just glad it's not a thinner model, so I don't have to fight the temptation.

User Info Menu

C'mon fellas...anyone who has purchased guitars knows that that particular guitar will likely sell for $4k. Cash talks, BS walks...don't snooze on it for the word on it is now out.

User Info Menu

As Hammertone noted in an earlier post :

This can probably be had for under $4,000 US, and it's a new guitar.

For those who dont want to import from Canada, there is a new Campellone burst for $5200 thats been on Reverb.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by QAman; 06-22-2020 at 08:54 PM.

User Info Menu

As of June 29th, this guitar has been sold, and is about to be shipped to a wise buyer in the US. The last vestige of the Jazz Guitar room at Murch Music, released into the wild at last.

"...And the Road Warrior? That was the last we ever saw of him. He lives now only in my memories."
    Last edited by Hammertone; 07-02-2020 at 03:27 AM.

User Info Menu

For me if it had only been a sunburst....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    As of June 29th, this guitar has been sold, and is about to be shipped to a wise buyer in the US.
    Is the buyer a member of this forum?
    Keith

User Info Menu

Hammer, that guitar sold because of you.
    You pushed that guitar like a trooper. I think you did good. I really appreciate our conversations about about it. And the kindness you demonstrated.
    You’ve helped a lot of folks get guitars around here and you should be commended for it.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    As of June 29th, this guitar has been sold, and is about to be shipped to a wise buyer in the US. The last vestige of the Jazz Guitar room at Murch Music, released into the wild at last.

"...And the Road Warrior? That was the last we ever saw of him. He lives now only in my memories."
    SO happy to hear that this guitar has finally found a home - it must have been lonely as the last jazz-box hanging on that wall all those years : ) And thanks, Hammer, for keeping it on the radar -

User Info Menu

So do we know who bought it? Is it a forum member?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone View Post
    SO happy to hear that this guitar has finally found a home - it must have been lonely as the last jazz-box hanging on that wall all those years : ) And thanks, Hammer, for keeping it on the radar -
    Mark:
    I’m also happy to hear that this guitar has sold. It would have been one of the last ones that my brother, Glenn, ordered from you as a dealer who was lucky enough to represent you and your great guitars. Glenn was always excited to get new Campellones in, and a lot of our friends bought them through this arrangement. After Glenn’s retirement, the store continued to evolve and they recently moved into a beautiful large location. It’s a great store, but it should come as no surprise that hand-made archtops may not be their main focus these days. This one seemed to get overlooked and just hung on the wall in a big acoustic room full of Martins, Taylors and Gibsons. I hope we hear from the new owner. As a proud Campellone owner myself, and one who has actually played that guitar, I’m sure he/she will be thrilled with it.
    Keith

User Info Menu

I don’t believe their is a single Campellone owner that is not thrilled.
    If you see a used one for sale, only 2 reasons.

Owner died or in a bad financial way. Congrats to the new member of the Campellone Club. It’s a lifetime membership.