Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Last May Roger Borys shipped a new B-120 to Frankfurt/Germany but the package never got there and the guitar has vanished. The search by USPS has not been successful as of now so we think that some employee has taken it - I wanted to alert all of you to keep your eyes and ears open and report here when a new B-120 comes up for sale anywhere. All I got at the moment is the photo below , showing the guitar all finished but without it's pickup. The figuring in the top wood, the typical Borys shading etc. would make it pretty easy to identify it and Roger will provide the serial# so that shouldn't be problematic.
    Roger has since sent a new guitar but has only been paid for one so if we can help him recover this instrument it would be the right thing !
    Many thanks for your help !

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I hope Roger recovers it...Beautiful guitar. It must be somewhere out there.

User Info Menu

I don't understand why people do this type of stuff.. Due to the community and internet, this guitar is basically unable to leave a hiding place now, without being found. Even if it was stolen, its basically completely worthless shy of being able to be played alone by the thief because its a serialized bespoke instrument.... so stupid.. and ultimately it comes out of Mr. Bory's pocket... Very uncool indeed.

User Info Menu

Dishonesty, greed, selfishness, and even overall lack of decorum and manners are rampant in today's society. A huge portion of our population truly just doesn't care about other people.

There are a bunch of stolen guitars databases that Roger a/o you could add his to, if you haven't done so already.

stolen guitars database - Google Search

User Info Menu

I don't understand why people do this type of stuff..
    Stupidity.. and greed.. I hope they catch the guy..

However, i assume since it was insured when shipped, isn't the shipping company responsible for the loss?

User Info Menu

It makes one wonder if the thief even knew what is was when s/he took it.

User Info Menu

Hopefully it wasn't stolen, but if so hope it goes to it's rightful owner!

User Info Menu

I've actually heard of guitars being lost 6-12 months and then recovered. Hopefully that's the case here.

User Info Menu

Over the course of time i have experienced quite unthinkable things to happen, so anything is possible.

Situations like this support the idea of insurance - a number of people paying the compensation for the few unlucky ones who actually suffer. I hope that the guitar was insured to the correct amount of it's value ....

User Info Menu

Even if recovered It may never be returned to the owner. Once it is declared evidence it will be held until the case is resolved or 7 years have passed.

It has been over 4 years since my stolen guitars were recovered. The laws favor the low life scum not the victims.

User Info Menu

Gitman, wishing you luck in recovering your stolen Borys B120.

User Info Menu

I am basically an optimist when it comes to things like this and I'll keep the faith !
    Re stolen instruments I have two stories to share :
    back in my early 20's (1980-ish) I bought a new Ibanez GB10 in natural and played it/gigged with it regularly, schlepping it around Heidelberg in it's unwieldy flightcase ! Then one evening after a rehearsal I parked the car in a side street to get a beer with my friends and didn't take the guitar with me - came back an hour later (not even midnight) and the rear window was taken out, the guitar gone. Window and case (!!!) were tossed a few feet away. Fast forward 6 years later : a colleague tells me about the GB10 one of his students plays and I ask if it's a blonde- yes ! Turns out it actually was my guitar which the guy bought used from the local big dealership. I had the papers/reports to prove my ownership and confronted the dealer who paid back the second owner and I got my guitar back. The thief was never found ....
    Second story : I found a nice late 50's Vega "Vegaphone" plectrum banjo on Reverb some 3 years ago, sold by a dealer in Seattle. He sent photos, it looked good and he shipped it. Meanwhile I did an online search for more info on this type of banjo and "bingo" I found some photos of that model that looked very much like the one I had just bought. The photos were posted on a website that lists stolen instruments, just my luck. So I bought a fenced banjo, really bad karma. When the package arrived I immediately sent it back, did not even open it. The dealer was very surprised but sent me my money including shipping both ways and the banjo went back to it's original owner - who never said one word
    of thank you .... ok, my peace of mind is worth a lot more.
    So.... let's hope this will also come to a good end eventually.

User Info Menu

Opportunist thieves rarely know what they have stolen. In my student days I had 2 guitars: an Ibanez copy of the Gibson Everley Brothers (excellent instrument), and a 1957 ES-175. When the house was burgled the thieves took ....... the Ibanez !

PS if anyone ever sees one for sale, let me know - I've been looking for one for the last 45 years !

User Info Menu

So no insurance payout on an expensive axe like this? Someone is actually taking a financial hit on this?? That's not right.

User Info Menu

Well, yes - Roger is taking a hit since the shipment wasn‘t insured to 100%. He has been going back and forth with USPS since may of last year, not getting any further. He might be a recluse, a bit difficult at times even but he is also a standup guy and sent another guitar without hesitation. Word.

User Info Menu

Unfortunatly that is absolutely no surprise. I wish him the best on this. But I learned through personal experience government agencies like this have no accountability.

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    He has been going back and forth with USPS since may of last year, not getting any further.
    Last edited by Wildcat; 02-01-2020 at 10:47 AM.

User Info Menu

I am not familiar with these guitars before now but that picture is stunning. I will keep an eye out.

User Info Menu

I did have a gibson es175, and it got lost in the midwest somewhere, and it took almost an entire month for them to find it... it was a really special catch to me and i screamed like a banshee until they found it... because honestly no one cared about it being found by UPS, at. all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    Unfortunatly that is absolutely no surprise. I wish him the best on this. But I learned through person experience government agencies like this have no accountability.
    Yep, Government, a necessary evil, is rarely accountable for wrongdoing. And there is a long tradition of this:

Sovereign immunity - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BBGuitar
    Even if recovered It may never be returned to the owner. Once it is declared evidence it will be held until the case is resolved or 7 years have passed.

It has been over 4 years since my stolen guitars were recovered. The laws favor the low life scum not the victims.
    This retention policy what law declares, how exactly it favors the the low life scum?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    This retention policy what law declares, how exactly it favors the the low life scum?
    They took my guitars, my guitars were recovered, four years later I still do not have them. If I want them back I have to drop the charges.

That's how it favors the low life scum.

User Info Menu

You need AT LEAST TWO actors to complete the bad deed--the thief, and a buyer who "looks the other way."

Both are complicit and equally guilty.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BBGuitar
    They took my guitars, my guitars were recovered, four years later I still do not have them. If I want them back I have to drop the charges.

That's how it favors the low life scum.
    Yes I have read it all already in your post, my question was, how on earth the low life scum benefits form the retention policy, you wrote favors... I understood it was a very bad for you to not have that guitar. If the guitar was found, and case is not closed, and law still try to find and apply on the low life scum, that is definitely not a benefit for them.

Regardless this evidence detection policy, I would like to belive, life, including law in general favors honest and decent behaviour, and long term and statistically (I mean numbers) not the thiefs and other criminals are favored.

User Info Menu

The guitar's serial# is

B120 #249-440-2018

writteninside below the bass-side f-hole.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    Yes I have read it all already in your post, my question was, how on earth the low life scum benefits form the retention policy, you wrote favors... I understood it was a very bad for you to not have that guitar. If the guitar was found, and case is not closed, and law still try to find and apply on the low life scum, that is definitely not a benefit for them.

Regardless this evidence detection policy, I would like to belive, life, including law in general favors honest and decent behaviour, and long term and statistically (I mean numbers) not the thiefs and other criminals are favored.
    Unfortunately law does not just favor honest and decent behaviour, it favors the ones who can afford the best lawyers (usually also the most expensive).

The evidence detection policy could be much more "victim-friendly". After all it would be possible to shoot fotos, take fingerprints and whatever would be needed at a later stage, and return the item to the owner. The "low life scum" would definitely benefit if the charges were dropped and i bet that in some cases the owners rather have their goods back than waiting for a trial which most probably wouldn't compensate for the hassle they underwent anyways.

User Info Menu

Gitman,
    I hope you will find Your beautiful Borys B-120 soon.
    Good Luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Dishonesty, greed, selfishness, and even overall lack of decorum and manners are rampant in today's society.
    People have been saying that for as long as there have been people. The unfortunate truth is that dishonesty, greed, selfishness, etc. are part of human nature. So our kindness, generosity, altruism, honesty and forthrightness. Hopefully those latter qualities will triumph and locate this missing guitar, return it to Roger and letting him sell it and earn his living. Plus, for the buyer, what a story! Roger should charge extra.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    Well, yes - Roger is taking a hit since the shipment wasn‘t insured to 100%. He has been going back and forth with USPS since may of last year, not getting any further. He might be a recluse, a bit difficult at times even but he is also a standup guy and sent another guitar without hesitation. Word.
    Gitman,
    This is certainly a tragic, but relatively rare experience for sure - and I hope Roger gets some money back from USPS. Unfortunately , these carriers usually have limits of liability of approx 1k, and covering the shipment under a separate policy is always a prudent approach - especially when shipping a 5k guitar.

Roger is certainly a standup guy and did the right thing - but for a small builder 5k is taking a considerable hit to cash flow.

I search the internet frequently for used Bory’s guitars and will keep an eye out for this serial number. Lets just hope it shows up and gets returned. I had one package delivered from my company that was lost for a year finally show up- so we can’t assume it was theft.