Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

Owner before last was Victor Baker, himself - this was his gigging guitar.

* beautiful tiger stripe maple on back, sides, and neck
    * one piece back
    * flame maple binding
    * Spruce top with outstanding recurve
    * 2 piece neck
    * quilted maple headstock overlay with abalone (?) VB logo
    * ebony fingerboard
    * Bartolini pickup with tone and volume knobs
    * looks like a hand rubbed finish, shiny clear coat that doesn't come through in the first pic but you can see better in the side pics
    * metal tailpiece with an ebony cover

VERY light weight - will weigh tomorrow - feels like 6-6.5 lbs

The case in the pics here is different than the one I will include. See newer pics. Very good condition TKL case with combo lock. Some rust on the latches, but I'll apply some vinegar to get rid of most of it.

There is a very small indent on the top, maybe 0.75-1" long - the previous owner shipped the guitar with a spiral bound notebook on top. The spiral binding left the mark in that small spot.

I've owned this for about 7 years. Only selling as I never really dove into 7 string as much as I had hoped. I have an extra 7th string in higher gauge to allow for bottom A tuning.

$3250 shipped/PP (continental US)

More images:
    Victor Baker 7 String - Album on Imgur

Case and action:
    Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Last edited by HeyNow; 02-12-2020 at 04:30 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Whats the scale length and body width?

User Info Menu

I don't think that's gonna last too long!

User Info Menu

Ahh wish this was a 6 string. GLWTS!!

User Info Menu

1) Would you ship this guitar to: 5094 Bergen, Norway?
    2) If so, is there a repair man in your neighborhood that could fix the guitar case.

Tonnie van der Heide
    Bergen, Norway

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2
    Ahh wish this was a 6 string. GLWTS!!
    +1

User Info Menu

Maybe I missed it, but it looks like 16”, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmanstever
    17" body

25" scale

nut width is a hair over 2"

C shape neck, medium-thickness, slightly towards thinner side (which I assume most 7 strings would need to be)

Small dent is about 0.75-1"

Quote Originally Posted by tonnie
    2) If so, is there a repair man in your neighborhood that could fix the guitar case.

Tonnie van der Heide
    Bergen, Norway
    1) I could do that - shipping would be a little extra. I've shipped internationally several times, no problem
    2) The only thing that would need repair is the one latch (which I'm not sure anybody can repair) or re-tolex part of the case, which really has no effect on structure - neither of these items would affect how safe the case is for shipping the guitar - it will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmanstever
    Also if you're in New Paltz, we're only about an hour and a half drive from each other. I'd be happy to meet in the middle

Much cheaper for cash/local

User Info Menu

Tonnie van der Heide
    Bergen, Norway
    Tonnie, if I were buying this, I would toss the TKL with the broken latch and pay Heynow to buy a Reunion Blues Voyager gigbag or Hiscox Pro II from MF (20% discount right now with 8% Backstage Points) and ship the VB in that. My guess is that good cases aren't easy to buy in Bergen, Norway. OK, there's Thomann Germany at a lower price for Hiscox but why wait? The existing TKL is almost unuseable as it is and if you mean to take it around a good gigbag or hard case is imperative.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Tonnie, if I were buying this, I would toss the TKL with the broken latch and pay Heynow to buy a Reunion Blues Voyager gigbag or Hiscox Pro II from MF (20% discount right now with 8% Backstage Points) and ship the VB in that. My guess is that good cases aren't easy to buy in Bergen, Norway. OK, there's Thomann Germany at a lower price for Hiscox but why wait? The existing TKL is almost unuseable as it is and if you mean to take it around a good gigbag or hard case is imperative.
    The hard case is not “almost unuseable”

No structural issues, interior padding is all in-tact, closes perfectly, handle has no issues.

The case has traveled through NYC many a time.

User Info Menu

Please give me a quote on the shipping costs to 5094 (ZIP) Bergen, Norway.

Tonnie

Please give me a quote on the shipping costs to 5094 (ZIP) Bergen, Norway.

Tonnie
    Sent you a private message. It's actually not too much more to ship to Norway than within the continental US.

Thanks

User Info Menu

HeyNow,

I am still waiting for the info you promised me in your last DM.

Tonnie

HeyNow,

I am still waiting for the info you promised me in your last DM.

Tonnie
    Replied!

Action at low A string (7th string) is about 0.055" at 12th fret
    Action at high E string is about 0.035" at 12th fret

(hard to get pictures at correct angle to show measurement)

Also - I put the Victor Baker in another guitar's case I had. Another TKL with a combo lock. Much better condition.

Pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/amjApmQ

User Info Menu

Could you please try to lower the action?
    There two thumb-wheels under the top of the bridge, turn them counter-clock-wise, and since you have today's string height recorded, it won't be too difficult to get everything back to normal, once you are done.

Try to lower the bridge on both sides (both thumb-wheels), so low that the strings do not buzz at any of the frets along the neck. Do not forget, that once you have tried the lowest and highest string, you should also check all the other strings.

Once you have found the lowest (but still good string-height), please make another measurement of the string height and send that to me.

Thanks in advance for all the trouble.
    Tonnie

The D string buzzes on frets 1,2 if the bridge is lowered.

other than that one string, I can get the bass string to 0.05” and the highest string at 0.025” before any other strings start to buzz

currently has wound rounds

obviously I would recommend any new user get it set up to their liking

Also, price drop!

User Info Menu

HeyNow,

The string buzz can mean that either or both the nut, or the bridge string-groove are cut a bit too deep. Or the third (or higher) fret might be a bit high.

This probably means that I have to change strings and take the guitar to a repairman.

You also mention a price drop. What is the drop in price?

Tonnie

HeyNow,

The string buzz can mean that either or both the nut, or the bridge string-groove are cut a bit too deep. Or the third (or higher) fret might be a bit high.

This probably means that I have to change strings and take the guitar to a repairman.

You also mention a price drop. What is the drop in price?

Tonnie
    It's in the original post. $150 off. I'll direct message you as well. We should probably be direct messaging as to not keep bumping this thread.

Bump

User Info Menu

HeyNow,

What does "Bump" mean?

Tonnie

“bump” is to move the thread back to the top of this forum

price drop again - $3350 shipped/PP

3% less for non-fee payment

another price drop - $3250 shipped/PP

bump

fully carved, US made archtop by a well known builder for $3250 shipped/PP!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HeyNow
    fully carved, US made archtop by a well known builder for $3250 shipped/PP!
    Wow. It's because 7-stringers can be tough to move. But be patient, that guitar is fab, and the right buyer will find it.