User Info Menu

I'm trying to clear out some space, so have to part with some of my amps.

These are for sale in the UK, and I'd prefer to meet and give the buyer a chance to properly try the amps.

The first two are:

Mambo 8" wedge combo. This is the new version with 3 tonal voicings. Price inc soft case now £595 (excluding shipping cost - was £675) and full details are here: https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/mambo-8-wedge-combo-guitar-amp/1360648114

Rift PT20 12" combo. Hand wired valve amp, based on the Fender tweed circuit, upgraded with built in microphone system. Price inc Roqsolid cover £1,295 and full details here https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/rift-pt20-guitar-amplifier/1360651648

Cash sale very much preferred, as I'm trying to clear out stuff, but may consider interesting archtops as trades.

I could ship the Mambo within Europe, but will not ship the Rift, as it is a larger valve (tube) amp.

Thanks, any questions, please ask away!
    Last edited by LukeReinhart; 12-15-2019 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Price drop & new shipping option

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Good luck with the sale, hard to believe that you sell the 8" Mambo. For archtop it's about the best sounding amp i've ever played (and there are plenty ;-)).

Yes, it's a great amp and if it sells I may regret it, but I also have a Henrikson Blu, which is marginally lighter. Basically I have far too many guitars and amps, and am running out of space. If my Rift PT20 valve (tube) amp sells, then I'll probably keep the Mambo as well as the Blu.

User Info Menu

How do the Blu and the Mambo compare sonically?

Sonically the Mambo and Hendrikson Blu are different, but I honestly couldn't quantify it or say why / how. To me, there is a difference, but I'd be hard pressed to say that one is better than the other sonically. As you probably know, the tone controls on the Blu are more obvious and intuitive. While the Mambo only has Bass, Middle, Treble - but when you consider that the current Mambo amps have a 3 way switch giving 3 different voicings, then combine that with the 3 tone controls, and it is a lot more versatile than it would be with just the tone controls. The 3 positions give a Fender type of amps sound ('Bright') which I tend to prefer personally. Then another setting is intended to be more akin to a Polytone voicing. And the other apparently is the original Mambo voicing.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm dodging the question, but it is I think a personal preference thing, possibly also depending to some extent on other factors, like the actual guitar you are using it with.

They are both IMO excellent, highly portable and well voiced for traditional jazz guitar with an archtop. The Blu is a little bit lighter, but essentially they are both extremely portable solid state amps, so very practical I would say. Do bear in mind that I've not had the Blu long at all. If you are able to try for yourself, or speak with somebody who has experience gigging both, that would be ideal. It's probably something you need to make your own mind up on - but as you're in the States, availability of the Mambo may be an issue.

If you've got the Blu, you won't IMO gain any great benefit from getting a Mambo - and vice versa. Unless you are moving the gear on public transport, the weight difference won't matter. If anybody else has an opinion, they are welcome to contribute?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LukeReinhart
    Sonically the Mambo and Hendrikson Blu are different, but I honestly couldn't quantify it or say why / how. To me, there is a difference, but I'd be hard pressed to say that one is better than the other sonically. As you probably know, the tone controls on the Blu are more obvious and intuitive. While the Mambo only has Bass, Middle, Treble - but when you consider that the current Mambo amps have a 3 way switch giving 3 different voicings, then combine that with the 3 tone controls, and it is a lot more versatile than it would be with just the tone controls. The 3 positions give a Fender type of amps sound ('Bright') which I tend to prefer personally. Then another setting is intended to be more akin to a Polytone voicing. And the other apparently is the original Mambo voicing.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm dodging the question, but it is I think a personal preference thing, possibly also depending to some extent on other factors, like the actual guitar you are using it with.

They are both IMO excellent, highly portable and well voiced for traditional jazz guitar with an archtop. The Blu is a little bit lighter, but essentially they are both extremely portable solid state amps, so very practical I would say. Do bear in mind that I've not had the Blu long at all. If you are able to try for yourself, or speak with somebody who has experience gigging both, that would be ideal. It's probably something you need to make your own mind up on - but as you're in the States, availability of the Mambo may be an issue.

If you've got the Blu, you won't IMO gain any great benefit from getting a Mambo - and vice versa. Unless you are moving the gear on public transport, the weight difference won't matter. If anybody else has an opinion, they are welcome to contribute?
    Thanks! I have a Blu and am loving it. I have heard such great things about the Mambo that it keeps me curious. I like the darker tone of the solid state jazz amps and the Blu is delivering.

Price drop on the Mambo, and can ship within UK / Europe (subject to cleared payment).

£595 for amp and soft case, collect from Oxford, or add cost of shipping please.