Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

As mentioned elsewhere, Hofner built a bunch of cool made-in-Germany Hofner jazz guitars and semis in the past twenty years or so. Among the limited editions and one-off versions of these guitars were three New Presidents made in 2011 with big "frondose" headstocks similar to those found on '50's Committee, Committee Deluxe, and Golden Hofners. They added perloid binding, extra purfling, birds-eye maple rims/backs, nickel hardware, and pale-burst finishes to further tip their hats to a bygone era. Carved spruce tops, 22 frets, 16th-fret body joints. I grabbed two of these three guitars when the grabbing was good. They did another three with normal headstocks, but those aren't nearly as much fun. They even attempted to finish these with nitrocellulose lacquer, resulting in further hilarity and some minor finish crazing (on the back of the headstock, one on the upper cutaway bout, one small one running off the right side point of the treble f-hole).

But all that is all in the past, sigh. It was a fun ride while it lasted. These days, they are finishing up whatever is still hanging around, but they have pretty much stopped building archtop guitars in Europe. Maybe sometime in the distant future they may take another swing at the archtop market, but I'm not holding my breath. In the meantime, you can still buy some of these guitars from me, like the Jazzicas I have listed elsewhere on this forum. Or like this one, woohoo! Send $3,250 (plus shipping) and get this very guitar! In a really nice case (not so easy to find one that fits the gigantic headstock - Hofner couldn't figure that one out, but I did)! What's that? A guitar this nutty should have a Bigsby B-6 on it? Sure! I'll install one for free along with a tune-o-matic roller bridge if that's how you roll.

Oh, and it feels and sounds fantastic. Some pix follow to illuminate the madness. David Lynch would be proud!

Last edited by Hammertone; 11-15-2019 at 02:35 PM.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

more:

User Info Menu

More:

User Info Menu

And...

User Info Menu

Sure, why not:

User Info Menu

16" or "17

User Info Menu

What's with the Mickey Mouse ears at the top of headstock?
    Euro Disneyland promotion?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    As mentioned elsewhere, Hofner built a bunch of cool made-in-Germany Hofner jazz guitars and semis in the past twenty years or so. Among the limited editions and one-off versions of these guitars were three New Presidents made in 2011 with big "frondose" headstocks similar to those found on '50's Committee, Committee Deluxe, and Golden Hofners. They added perloid binding, birds-eye maple rims/backs, nickel hardware, and pale-burst finishes to further tip their hats to a bygone era. Carved spruce tops, 22 frets, 16th fret body joints. I grabbed two of these three guitars when the grabbing was good. They did another three with normal headstocks, but those aren't nearly as much fun. They even attempted to finish these with nitrocellulose lacquer, resulting in further hilarity and some minor finish crazing (on the back of the headstock, one on the upper cutaway bout, one small one running off the right side point of the treble f-hole).

But all that is all in the past, sigh. It was a fun ride while it lasted. These days, they are finishing up whatever is still hanging around, but they have pretty much stopped building archtop guitars in Europe. Maybe sometime in the distant future they may take another swing at the archtop market, but I'm not holding my breath. In the meantime, you can still buy some of these guitars from me, like the Jazzicas I have listed elsewhere on this forum. Or like this one, woohoo! Send $3,250 (plus shipping) and get this very guitar! In a really nice case (not so easy to find one that fits the gigantic headstock)! What's that? A guitar this nutty should have a Bigsby B-6 on it? Sure! I'll install one for free along with a tune-o-matic roller bridge if that's how you roll.

Oh, and it feels and sounds fantastic. Some pix follow to illuminate the madness. David Lynch would be proud!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    16" or "17
    Rich, I figured you'd be paying attention, heh. 15 7/8", actually, for both the New President and the Jazzica (the Jazzica with your name on it).
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    What's with the Mickey Mouse ears at the top of headstock?Euro Disneyland promotion?
    Long answer to come, but here's some photo reference, below. The headstock was introduced @'53, far left. By @'56 it was similar to mid-left. When trussrods were introduced in '60, it became mid-right. After the Golden Hofner was discontinued, it was sort of combined with the Committee to become the "New Committee" and the headstock became as shown far right. There are a few intermediate transitional versions as well as it evolved and became simplified.

The Committee / Committee Deluxe / Golden had rose inlays on the fretboard and roses inlaid on the headstock, unlike the 465 / 468 / 470, which had bowtie
    inlays on the fretboard and lilies-of-the-valley inlaid on the headstock.

This headstock shape appears in one iteration or another on a few other archtop guitars. Most important being the original headstock of the Gibson ES-250. More on that later, but the strange creature on the original version of the Committee headstock remains a mystery. Requested by Selmer? From the imagination of some crazy German? Jellyfish? Octopus? Damned if I know. I'll make up something later...
    Attached Images Attached Images Hofner New President Eraserhead Edition - 1 of 3-frondose-jpg Hofner New President Eraserhead Edition - 1 of 3-committee-headstocks-jpg Hofner New President Eraserhead Edition - 1 of 3-eh5802h-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 11-15-2019 at 02:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Hman thanks for the explanation. But those Jazzics are selling fast! You snooze you loose.
    Actually I love the head stock and appointments on these. Alas being cash poor at this time is hurting my chances on these beauties.
    Honestly people should be jumping on the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    Rich, I figured you'd be paying attention, heh. 15 7/8", actually, for both the New President and the Jazzica (the Jazzica with your name on it).Long answer to come, but here's some reference. The headstock was introduced @'53, far left. By @'56 it was similar to mid-left. When trussrods were introduced in '60, it became mid-right. After the Golden Hofner was discontinued, it was sort of combined with the Committee to become the "New Committee" and the headstock became as shown far right. There are a few intermediate transitional versions as well as it evolved and became simplified.

The Committee / Committee Deluxe / Golden had rose inlays on the fretboard and roses inlaid on the headstock, unlike the 465 / 468 / 470, which had bowtie
    inlays on the fretboard and lilies-of-the-valley inlaid on the headstock.

This headstock shape appears in one iteration or another on a few other archtop guitars. Most important being the original headstock of the Gibson ES-250. More on that later, but the strange creature on the original version of the Committee headstock remains a mystery. Requested by Selmer? From the imagination of some crazy German? Jellyfish? Octopus? Damned if I know. I'll make up something later...

User Info Menu

I was kinda hoping for an inlay of Jack Nance on the headstock, but this is possibly cooler.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    I was kinda hoping for an inlay of Jack Nance on the headstock, but this is possibly cooler.
    I thought it might have kid'nplay on there
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758 View Post
    I thought it might have kid'nplay on there
    The Martin guitar headstock has that covered.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 11-15-2019 at 11:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow! Super guitar. BUT...you just have to open your set at the gig with "O Mein Pa Pa" if you show up with that guitar. Just sayin'.

User Info Menu

Sorry for being late to the game, what's 8 or nine years. That is a gorgeous piece and you did a great job on the details. Would not mind having that to play on one bit. Mickey Mouse ears and all. Thanks for sharing.