User Info Menu

Happened to come across this on Reverb. Not a bad price if you need an authentic case for your early Gibson archtop. No affiliation.

Deluxe Redline GIEB Archtop Guitar Case - Pre War Gibson L5 | Reverb

Pre-War Gibson 17" Case-gibsoncase-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think this would this fit a 1950 ES 150, correct? 17" lower bout, L7 dimensions i believe, non cutaway. Tnx

User Info Menu

It'll fit but has a listed 17 3/4" lower so it may be a bit big

User Info Menu

Wet blanket time: I understand vintage guitars; I don't understand vintage cases. Are vintage cases...cool? Is it a style thing? Is there a market for vintage strings, too?

I swapped a vintage 1954 Super 300 case with brown lining and rusted latches for a 2013 Super 400 TKL/Cedar Creek case because the latter had a chance of delivering my Super 300 in one piece. And it did.

I guess I just don't get old musty cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    I don't understand vintage cases. Are vintage cases...cool? Is it a style thing? I swapped a vintage 1954 Super 300 case with brown lining and rusted latches for a 2013 Super 400 TKL/Cedar Creek case because the latter had a chance of delivering my Super 300 in one piece. And it did. I guess I just don't get old musty cases.
    I get you Jabs. I think (at least for me) it's more of a collectors issue, for display, or resale value down the road. When I acquired my Loar L5 with the original case, the first thing I did was get a modern case for it, and stored the original in my loft. But I did enjoy looking at it, having visions of people like Eddie Lang carrying it around 80 years ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Wet blanket time: I understand vintage guitars; I don't understand vintage cases. Are vintage cases...cool? Is it a style thing? Is there a market for vintage strings, too?

I swapped a vintage 1954 Super 300 case with brown lining and rusted latches for a 2013 Super 400 TKL/Cedar Creek case because the latter had a chance of delivering my Super 300 in one piece. And it did.

I guess I just don't get old musty cases.
    You can put me there Rene.
    I have one and would've swapped ya, especially now that I have a Super in need, even though yours was a 300 case and earlier than my guitar. Non original cases aren't deal breakers for me but I prefer them.

User Info Menu

I with you all the vintage cases they really don't do a thing for me. The one exception is my 1937 New Yorker was a case with the light brown tweed style and stripes. It has a lining that you zipper close when you put the guitar in the case. One of latches is broken and it has some wear. Years ago I bought a new TKL case for the guitar the top quality one they had 9121 and put the original away for collectors purposes. The guitar is much safer and better off in the new case. The old one is not bad but over the years they break down and are usually as good.

I just wonder in anyone else might have a case like this as I have never seen one exactly like this with the zipper lining?
    specializing in repair and setup, does your guitar play like it should?