Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Here's a BF Princeton Reverb clone with a twist.

The preamp is straight-up PR, but the power transformer is for

-Deluxe 65 Reverb RI
    -Deluxe 68 Reverb RI
    -Fender 30
    -Model 30
    -Tremolux
    -Vibrolux
    -Vibrolux Reverb

Transformer info can be found here:
    https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/transformers/classic/290

Uses 2 x EL34 glass and runs @450 plate voltage. It puts out @35 watts through a highly efficient 12" Celestion Vintage 30.

Orange drops, cloth wire, all Hammond iron (so most likely Canadian-made), quality glass, and so forth. I'm trying to figure out who made it, but
    I had my tech (the estimable John Fletcher, here in Toronto) go through it to make sure there are no surprises, and there are ... no surprises. The "ground" switch is a standby switch.

Then I took it out to a couple of gigs and...yup, it does exactly what one would think - bags of headroom, in a Princeton-sized package. With a Princeton voice. Through a 12" speaker with an SPL of 100 dB. And as much reverb and trem as one could ever want. Kind of a jazz player's dream compact tube amp.

I got this as part of a trade deal, don't have much use for it, and it occurred to me that many of you would have plenty of use for it, given the Princeton Reverb love in this community. It's a really nice amp, in perfect condition. It's also easy to ship given its Princeton size. Obviously, heavier than a stock PR - I'll add weight info shortly. And post some better pix.

So buy it! $1,200 + shipping.
    Attached Images Attached Images Princeton Reverb clone with a twist - "this amp really boogies!"-20190828_124029_hdr-lo-jpg Princeton Reverb clone with a twist - "this amp really boogies!"-20190828_124016-lo-jpg Princeton Reverb clone with a twist - "this amp really boogies!"-img_7522-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 11-13-2019 at 04:59 PM.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

When I had my retail store back in the 70's/80's, we built something similar - stuffed a Twin in a PR box! Got the idea from a steel player/amp guru named Red Rhodes from CA. Had to put the filter cap can down on the side of the cabinet to make room for everything. Transformer was from an Ampeg V4. also added a muffin fan and an EV 12" speaker. Cute little amp and really loud. I loaned it to someone and never got it back - wish I could find it but, then I probably couldn't lift it anyway. If anybody sees a little overweight PR that says "Sugar Daddy Blues Band" on the side - it's mine!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    what output transformer?
    See pix for transformer info.
    I updated the top post, with a link to the Hammond page that lists transformers and associated Fender amps, and listed the relevant amps.
    Glass includes (in order):
    -5AR4 GE NOS rectifier tube
    -2x 6CA7EH (similar to EL34) matched tubes (marked "69") from The Tube Store
    -12ax7EH
    -12ax7 - RCA NOS
    -12at7 - Delmonico - made in Japan NOS
    -12ax7EH
    Attached Images Attached Images Princeton Reverb clone with a twist - "this amp really boogies!"-img_7524-jpg Princeton Reverb clone with a twist - "this amp really boogies!"-img_7526-jpg Princeton Reverb clone with a twist - "this amp really boogies!"-img_7527-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 11-11-2019 at 10:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post

That's the Hoffman PR board and it has a 35W output transformer. You can bias for 6L6s, EL34s or 6V6s. I built two (with Weber iron), still own one and will be playing it tonight weather permitting.

It is an ideal jazz machine -- toneful, easy grab, loud enough to gig and low visual volume for those situations where someone wants you to turn down before you plug it into the wall.

GLWS
    "Don't worry about that. Everybody talks about finding your voice. Do your homework and your voice will find you." - Branford Marsalis

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry View Post
    That's the Hoffman PR board and it has a 35W output transformer. You can bias for 6L6s, EL34s or 6V6s. I built two (with Weber iron), still own one and will be playing it tonight weather permitting.
    It is an ideal jazz machine -- toneful, easy grab, loud enough to gig and low visual volume for those situations where someone wants you to turn down before you plug it into the wall. GLWS
    Thx, Sam - a couple of builders here had mentioned that it is a Hoffman PR board as well.
    I really like the portablity/power combination.
    But my Ampegs are annoyed and have told me to sell it, ha!

User Info Menu

did you ever look into converting to a long-tail PI? Seems like you could get even more volume out of it.

User Info Menu

My tech rearranged the order of something in there to increase the headroom. I used it on a big band gig for some veterans on November 11, and it was great. Four to the bar, straight through, with this guitar, heh. Not my usual bag, but great fun.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 11-13-2019 at 03:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    My tech rearranged the order of something in there to increase the headroom. I used it on a big band gig for some veterans on November 11, and it was great. With this guitar, heh.
    New board and I also see a second multicap can, so the B+ supply has undergone some changes as well. That’s a little more than “rearranged something”...... :-)

No schematic on hand?
    Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group | Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! | Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva La Voix

User Info Menu

Looking at the pix, I think that's the only multicap can, next to the mains tranny. The hole for the usual cap can is covered by a transformer or choke now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay View Post
    New board and I also see a second multicap can, so the B+ supply has undergone some changes as well. That’s a little more than “rearranged something”...... :-) No schematic on hand?
    Using honkin' big Orange Drops instead of, say, Mallorys, makes it a bit hard to see what's under them. I'm not a toaster tech (although I do play one on TV). Here's a .pdf with some info from the Hoffman site - he shares this info.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hammertone; 11-13-2019 at 08:44 PM.