Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Dang Jack, haven't you owned all of those before? I would think with your connection with 77 Guitars, they could build you the version you want?
    Best of luck in the chase!

User Info Menu

We have an Eastman AR-610CS, Taylor T5 and Godin Multiac with amp for sale... please let me know if you are interested in these.

Quote Originally Posted by KentL View Post
    We have an Eastman AR-610CS, Taylor T5 and Godin Multiac with amp for sale... please let me know if you are interested in these.
    thanks but none of them are anything close to what I'm asking about!

Quote Originally Posted by jads57 View Post
    Dang Jack, haven't you owned all of those before? I would think with your connection with 77 Guitars, they could build you the version you want?
    Best of luck in the chase!
    I've owned several. The 77 would have to be a custom order .

User Info Menu

I’ve got a Gibson custom shop ES-175 59’ reissue for sale or trade. I’ll send a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GGreen330 View Post
    I’ve got a Gibson custom shop ES-175 59’ reissue for sale or trade. I’ll send a PM.
    thanks for the offer. I never bonded with the '59 reissue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    Do you still dig the 80s mahogany ones?

DB

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog View Post
    Do you still dig the 80s mahogany ones?

DB
    I do but i'm done buying random old guitars from people I don't know. Too many issues. On a related note, there's a '62 175 on reverb for $2295 which has had a neck reset and has duncan antiquity pickups. I was ready to pull the trigger but had my luthier look at the pix and he told me that the top looks like it's folding on it. Saved me a lot of time and trouble. I'll probably buy a more recent one unless I get one from someone I trust.

User Info Menu

thanks. I've never heard of a 2 pickup version and I see no evidence of a pickguard. Maybe it was a custom order?

User Info Menu

I do but i'm done buying random old guitars from people I don't know. Too many issues. On a related note, there's a '62 175 on reverb for $2295 which has had a neck reset and has duncan antiquity pickups. I was ready to pull the trigger but had my luthier look at the pix and he told me that the top looks like it's folding on it. Saved me a lot of time and trouble. I'll probably buy a more recent one unless I get one from someone I trust.
    I have never seen you with a 40s or 50s P90 guitar like the ES 125, 150, 300 or 350. Why is that? I think such a guitar would suit you well!

DB

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog View Post
    I have never seen you with a 40s or 50s P90 guitar like the ES 125, 150, 300 or 350. Why is that? I think such a guitar would suit you well!

DB
    i consider myself more of a modern playing using legato and hybrid picking. the 40s/50s guitars sound great but i don't think I could use them professionally due to the big necks, neck angles and stiffer action. The groups I play with are loud too!

User Info Menu

i consider myself more of a modern playing using legato and hybrid picking. the 40s/50s guitars sound great but i don't think I could use them professionally due to the big necks, neck angles and stiffer action. The groups I play with are loud too!
    I see. Yes, the necks on these guitars are something else. My ES 300 sounds fabulous but the neck is huge, a baseball bat! The neck on my 125 is way smaller but that is a 1964 model.

You are not afraid that an early 60s ES 175 is too resonant for loud groups?

DB

User Info Menu

You aren't ditching the Kessel yet, are you?
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Does it really have to be a good one?

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    You aren't ditching the Kessel yet, are you?
    nope, just want the vibe of the maple plywood.

User Info Menu

I'm curious what you don't like about the '59 reissues vs. more recent ES-175s. I've only ever played one, but it was pretty nice. I've been thinking about "upgrading" my H-575 to a '59 RI 175, so I'd love to get your take on them.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzz_factor View Post
    I'm curious what you don't like about the '59 reissues vs. more recent ES-175s. I've only ever played one, but it was pretty nice. I've been thinking about "upgrading" my H-575 to a '59 RI 175, so I'd love to get your take on them.
    It seemed to have a thinner top than the '60s, '70s and '80s models so I felt that it didn't really nail that Joe Pass Joy Spring sound which I've always loved. Also, the neck is a little thicker and was a bit much for my tastes.

User Info Menu

It seemed to have a thinner top than the '60s, '70s and '80s models so I felt that it didn't really nail that Joe Pass Joy Spring sound which I've always loved. Also, the neck is a little thicker and was a bit much for my tastes.
    This is all true. The top on the 59 reissue is thinner than the 60's and later 175's. When I got my 59 reissue, I also had a genuine 1963 ES-175 (since sold) and comparing them, the top was thinner on the reissue. I compared the reissue to a friends 52 ES-175 and it was about the same in top thickness. The tone on the 59 reissue has a more acoustic sound than the 60's models (the Joe Pass Joy Spring sound is a good description of the early 60's 175 sound). And the neck on the reissue is a 1959 neck profile, much thicker than any 175 made after 1959.

While I can understand Jack's inability to bond with the 59 reissue, others who read this (who are looking for a 175) should check the 59 reissue out. The 59 reissue (assuming you get a good one) is a great guitar.
    .................................................. .......................................
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass

I don't mean to disparage the '59 reissue in any way. Just not what I'm currently looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    This is all true. The top on the 59 reissue is thinner than the 60's and later 175's. When I got my 59 reissue, I also had a genuine 1963 ES-175 (since sold) and comparing them, the top was thinner on the reissue. I compared the reissue to a friends 52 ES-175 and it was about the same in top thickness. The tone on the 59 reissue has a more acoustic sound than the 60's models (the Joe Pass Joy Spring sound is a good description of the early 60's 175 sound). And the neck on the reissue is a 1959 neck profile, much thicker than any 175 made after 1959.

While I can understand Jack's inability to bond with the 59 reissue, others who read this (who are looking for a 175) should check the 59 reissue out. The 59 reissue (assuming you get a good one) is a great guitar.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info and replies.

Good luck finding the right guitar!

User Info Menu

Jack, is there any particular decade or color you are looking for?
    Regards,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI View Post
    Jack, is there any particular decade or color you are looking for?
    Nothing after 2014 but other than that I'm pretty flexible.