User Info Menu

Starting in 1999, Hofner introduced a new bunch of cool made-in-Germany Hofner jazz guitars and semis, and updated the existing Jazzica Special into the Jazzica Custom. Over the next few years, Hofner made a small quantity of Jazzicas, New Presidents, Chancellors and Verythins, and a few limited edition and one-off versions of these guitars. All great fun. They also introduced a bunch of Chinese-made instruments at more affordable price points. The company has an amazing back catalogue of distinctive instruments from which to draw inspiration.

For the past few years, Hofner has not been making much by way of jazz guitars or semis in Europe. There are a few stragglers and one-offs that appear, then disappear, from the Hofner web page now and then, but that’s it. I have secured the remaining inventory of Jazzica Customs, from the last batch to be made. The likelihood of another group of these being made is slim-to-none, so, get them while they last. After these go, there will only be two or three individual guitars out there, with European retailers (god bless them), priced significantly above my selling price. Occasional one-off guitars may appear, but Hofner is effectively out of the archtop guitar-building business for now.

This last batch of Jazzicas was originally intended to be an artist model, but that project never got much traction. After resting in a warehouse for awhile, I grabbed the remaining seven, of which three are gone, leaving me with four to sell. The guitars were built in 2016 and 2017. They are Jazzica Custom models, with violin varnish shellac finishes and varying degrees of relicing to each of them. The backs of the necks have been sanded and sealed, like violins. I am in the process of preparing them for sale right now, which provides an opportunity for hardware customization.

I will also have one last custom-shop-finished Jazzica (natural poly finish, with black nitro-finished top plate) ready for sale soon.

Specs for the group of five:
    -carved spruce top plates
    -laminated flamed maple rims and back plates
    -one piece maple neck
    -ebony fretboard
    -mother-of-pearl inlay
    -ebony tailpiece cap, knobs, tuner buttons, truss rod cover, bridge
    -goldplated Schaller M6 tuners, strap buttons, & other hardware
    -goldplated Hofner Mod. 514/FN-G Diamond logo floating pickup, 4-conductor wiring, w/volume & tone controls
    -16th fret body joint
    -25 1/4” | 64.3cm scale length
    -nut width varies between 42.67mm | 1.68” and 44.45mm | 1.75” (I'll check/post the neck sizes for each of the guitars)
    -24 frets
    -bone nut
    -all-ebony bridge or gold tune-o-matic on ebony base - your choice

These are each being sold for $2,500 (including a nice hardshell case), plus shipping to anywhere in the world. Come on down!

Here are a couple of crappy, quick pix of one of them - I'll take more detailed shots as the guitars are readied. The pickups have not yet been installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images Hofner Jazzica, New, Custom Shop, Violin Varnish-5-s1117h003_6213-jpg Hofner Jazzica, New, Custom Shop, Violin Varnish-5-s1117h003_6215-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 11-13-2019 at 08:49 PM.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

nice!!! said it before..no major guitar maker does a violin finish like hofner!!..beautiful

cheers

User Info Menu

Most of you are to young to remember this one.easy rider pusher man - Bing video

User Info Menu

Hey, caveat emptor. My product is clean, uncut, and of the finest quality. Come on down!

User Info Menu

Lovely guitar! Is the back of the neck in it's final state - or might you be planning to match the body finish?

User Info Menu

for archtops that looks unfinished...but thats vintage true violin spec

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gkorm View Post
    Lovely guitar! Is the back of the neck in it's final state - or might you be planning to match the body finish?
    As pointed out, the back of the neck is sealed like a violin neck, and there is no shortage of colour contrast. The crappy pix of the complete guitar shown above were shot at way too high a contrast. I will be posting better pix when the guitars are ready, but just wanted to get the ball rolling and let folks here know that they are available. If a buyer wants the back of the neck tinted darker, that can be done. Here are pix of the backs of the necks on a couple of the guitars.
    Attached Images Attached Images Hofner Jazzica, New, Custom Shop, Violin Varnish-neck_7655-jpg Hofner Jazzica, New, Custom Shop, Violin Varnish-neck_7656-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 11-01-2019 at 11:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Poor Freddy. Scored one Hofner too many? (Is that even possible?)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    Hey, caveat emptor. My product is clean, uncut, and of the finest quality. Come on down!

User Info Menu

Update:
    As of today, of the seven Jazzicas, four have been sold, and the one last custom-shop-finished Jazzica (natural poly finish, with black nitro-finished top plate) is about to be spoken for, leaving three Jazzicas with violin varnish finish available. The one in the pix above has been sold - I'll update this listing with new pix later.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 11-13-2019 at 08:50 PM.