User Info Menu

1948 Gibson Super 400 with added PAF-p1110752-2-jpg1948 Gibson Super 400 . I was told that the original owner sent the instrument to Gibson in the late 50's to have the PAF installed . The original owner
    had the engravings done to the old plastics . Bigsby was probably done when the PAF went in there . Action is low with no string buzz . Frets are in excellent condition . OHSC . $8750 plus shipping
    pm for additional photos1948 Gibson Super 400 with added PAF-p1110754-3-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm sure it plays and sounds nice but you have to compare it to an unmolested/modified specimen from that period and that will give you an indication re it's possible market value. It would help enormously if you could provide some clear photos of the pickup-cavity, the backside of the pickup and an explanation as to why the guitar has a pickup-selector switch and 4 controls but only one (visible) pickup . A few shots of the backside, the neck, the tuners, the label inside the guitar and of the case would also be good to have. Thanks !

User Info Menu

"and an explanation as to why the guitar has a pickup-selector switch and 4 controls but only one (visible) pickup"

Yes, very strange

I got the instrument from the owner's son about 20 years ago . His son told me his father had the work done in the 50's ( 50's pots + knobs + caps ) . No idea why they did one pick up and two sets of controls . More photos later this week

User Info Menu

The earlier version may have had two floating pickups mounted on a finger rest/pickguard hence the pickup selector and the four knobs. The original may have been only acoustic. 71 years is a long time !
    -----------------------------------

"The instrument keeps me humble. Sometimes I pick it up and it seems to say, "No, you can't play today." I keep at it anyway, though." Jim Hall

Glwts!
    Midnight Blues