Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I own one from another batch made in 2002. I don't know how many were in the 2002 batch. I have heard the number ten. Mine came supplied in a standard Gibson Custom Shop hard shell case minus the embroidered gigbag and genuine leather covered hard case.

User Info Menu

And only 9 grand extra for the pearl inlay, such a deal. I'm pretty sure my pal Jabbs didn't pay quite that much though

User Info Menu

I think the Seller is looking for a premium price as much for the celebrity owned gravitas as for the limited edition rarity.

Either way, getting one of those was pretty shrewd on the part of Jabbs. A great guitar with investment return upside.

User Info Menu

Truth be told, I paid $5800 for mine from Gryphon Stringed Instruments. Mine isn't one from the original batch of 25 made for the 1998 NAMM show. So its value might be lower as it is a reissue of a commemorative.

I have seen these ones from the original batch of 25 asking for from $6995 to $7500 (Lark Street Music).

I was not seeking it out. I was in the market for a nice L5 WM, saw that Gryphon Stringed had one that looked all right and was within the ballpark of what I was willing to pay and so I bought it. That MOP Heart inlay is a little twee.

Gibson cranked them out in the early Noughties. There was one from 2003 with a Wes Montgomery Heart...printed pickguard.

Midnight Blues

User Info Menu

Wow, even the case has a case?!

User Info Menu

It is the usual nutty stuff and prices the guitar is worth less than 1/2 they are asking. Celebrity owned has very little appeal to me unless maybe it was Johnny Smith or similar, with no disrespect to Jimmy Stewart. I just don't see his name as any premium?

Normally I don't comment on guitar prices that forum members are selling but I know Jabs just put this up not his guitar, so I feel the urge to make my opinions known. Maybe they have these guitars and just figure someone will bite. Crazy stuff for sure and tells me the seller is not in business selling archtops to make a living.
    specializing in repair and setup, does your guitar play like it should?

User Info Menu

Just curious about that heart inlay. Is it smooth/flush with the top? And so then how deep into the top does it go?
    -- Isn't it crazy that "archtop" and "luthier" are spelling errors on this forum?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    It is the usual nutty stuff and prices the guitar is worth less than 1/2 they are asking. Celebrity owned has very little appeal to me unless maybe it was Johnny Smith or similar, with no disrespect to Jimmy Stewart. I just don't see his name as any premium?

Normally I don't comment on guitar prices that forum members are selling but I know Jabs just put this up not his guitar, so I feel the urge to make my opinions known. Maybe they have these guitars and just figure someone will bite. Crazy stuff for sure and tells me the seller is not in business selling archtops to make a living.
    Hey I love Jimmy Stewart in "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" ... wait...
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Apparently a different Jimmy Stewart:

Jimmy Stewart (musician) - Wikipedia
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

I got to know Jimmy Stewart in 1977 when he was teaching at Dick Grove's Music Workshop in Studio City/LA, along with Ted Greene, Herb Ellis, Ladd McIntosh, Joe Diorio and a few other heavy cats from the LA studio scene... very nice guy, well versed in many styles and once I saw him play a duo gig with Gabor Szabo, both played those awful Ovation guitars ! It's crazy that people think that they can charge a premium (and in this case it's pretty hefty) for a guitar that was once just a normal tool for a working pro....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    Hey I love Jimmy Stewart in "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" ... wait...
    Not that I have the coin, nor does celebrity status usually mean anything to me, but the thought of a fine guitar that was owned by the George Bailey Jimmy Stewart that I remember from my family's annual viewing of "Its a Wonderful Life" at Christmas.............now that would be tempting.

User Info Menu

Back in the pre-Internet days, one would have to consign a guitar to a store, pay for a classified ad in the paper or sell it (at a wholesale price) to a retailer. While some well heeled storekeepers might speculate on a guitar if they were cash rich, for the most part guitars hit the market at a price to sell.

Today with free advertising available from EBay, Reverb, Craigslist and even forums like this one, speculation on guitars is rampant. I have seen local Craigslist ads for guitars last years at very inflated prices. Anyone with an IQ above room temperature can use the Net to figure out value of a guitar (somewhat) and so there is no real reason to engage in this kind of thing. I suppose with a very rare piece like this one, a seller might hope for a rich collector to spot it and pull the trigger.

It seems like a 6K to 7K guitar to me. It has been marked down once on Reverb already. I bet it gets marked down quite a bit before it sells, if selling it for real market value is actually the goal of the seller.

Me too and I was wondering about Wes' as well.
    Midnight Blues

I agree with Stringswinger.

I know it's cliché but true, ultimately, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it and that may or may not be what the seller is asking?
    Midnight Blues