Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

FS: Gibson Duane Allman Signature Les Paul 2003 Hot Lanta Murphy aged 59 with Duane display Case,mint,
    FS - Gibson Duane Allman Signature Les Paul 2003 Hot Lanta Murphy aged 59 with Duane display Case,mint, | The Gear Page

Gorgeous!!!
    You can't analyze something you can't play! (Robert Conti)

Technique is the means to play just like your voice is your means to speak. (Robert Conti)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What makes this worth $17K? It's a decent looking Les Paul as far as that goes, but...

User Info Menu

Interesting how the strings wrap over the tp.
    -- Isn't it crazy that "archtop" and "luthier" are spelling errors on this forum?

User Info Menu

Unfortunately collectors are the target market as opposed to a gigging musician.Beautiful Les Paul!

Good question. There were only 55 made. I'll post the owner's answer here. He is a complete Les Paul freak whom I've come to respect over the years.

Technique is the means to play just like your voice is your means to speak. (Robert Conti)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound View Post
    Interesting how the strings wrap over the tp.
    Just as a follow up, I took a look at a pic of DA with his, and it looks like he wrapped the strings over. Must be why this one is done that way.
    -- Isn't it crazy that "archtop" and "luthier" are spelling errors on this forum?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound View Post
    Just as a follow up, I took a look at a pic of DA with his, and it looks like he wrapped the strings over. Must be why this one is done that way.
    Yes he did (and started another Les Paul fetish thingy.....)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

User Info Menu

The days of the 17k guitar are fading fast imo.

User Info Menu

The original guitar has an interesting history. After Duane's death it went to Gregg Allman, who traded it to ABB road manager Twiggs Lyndon for a vintage car. Twiggs kept the guitar to make sure that it went to Duane's daughter Galadrielle when she was old enough and played it himself. He had the guitar refretted and the original frets were hammered into the back of the guitar spelling "Duane." Twiggs died in a skydiving accident in '79 (in one of those ABB coincidences, the flight took off from the town of Duanesburg) and the guitar was kept by Steve Morse until 1990- stored inside a wall in Morse's studio- until it was given to Galadrielle and her mother in 1990. It's on loan to the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame.

While the guitar is in a number of iconic photos with Duane, he got it fairly shortly before the end of his life. His other Les Paul sunburst- a '58 IIRC with plainer wood and a lighter burst- is the one on "Fillmore East" and I think also "Layla."
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    The original guitar has an interesting history. After Duane's death it went to Gregg Allman, who traded it to ABB road manager Twiggs Lyndon for a vintage car. Twiggs kept the guitar to make sure that it went to Duane's daughter Galadrielle when she was old enough and played it himself. He had the guitar refretted and the original frets were hammered into the back of the guitar spelling "Duane." Twiggs died in a skydiving accident in '79 (in one of those ABB coincidences, the flight took off from the town of Duanesburg) and the guitar was kept by Steve Morse until 1990- stored inside a wall in Morse's studio- until it was given to Galadrielle and her mother in 1990. It's on loan to the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame.

While the guitar is in a number of iconic photos with Duane, he got it fairly shortly before the end of his life. His other Les Paul sunburst- a '58 IIRC with plainer wood and a lighter burst- is the one on "Fillmore East" and I think also "Layla."
    Very interesting indeed. Now that we're on the stories behind the original, this guy also has a Dickie Betts Gold top (110 made) and a Mick Ralphs (200 made). Like the Duane Allman, these are limited edition remakes of the originals.