Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Here are 5 American custom built Classical guitars. Each built with unique woods. Several forum members, including myself, have purchased guitars from this American luthier. Send me a pm and I'll be happy to provide you with the luthier's contact information. This listing is as a courtesy to forum members. We each know the market pricing for hand built guitars. Each of these is available for a song...pun intended.

Each guitar comes with a TKL case

Specific photos can be provided upon request.

The pricing is firm and does not include shipping. If your payment form is PayPal the seller is paying the PayPal fee.

#1 Black Limba - Built November 2017 $1200

3A Cedar soundboard with fan bracing
    Upper bout sound port
    12 hole Pau Ferro bridge
    Walnut binding with 3 color purfling
    52 mm nut
    Bone nut and saddle
    Gotoh tuners
    Premium Ebony fingerboard with evo gold oversize frets
    Lacquer high gloss finish

"You've got to be in the sun to feel the sun. It's that way with music too." - Sidney Bechet

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

#2 Tigerwood - built May 2018 - $1400

3A Cedar soundboard with fan bracing.
    Upper bout sound port

Katalox fingerboard with evo gold oversize frets
    52mm nut
    12 hole Pau Ferro bridge
    Pau Ferro arm rest

Gotoh tuners
    Walnut binding with 3 color purfling

"You've got to be in the sun to feel the sun. It's that way with music too." - Sidney Bechet

#3 Chechen - Built August 2018 - $1300

Raised fingerboard

3A spruce soundboard with fan bracing
    Upper bout sound port

Gotoh tuners
    Ebony armrest
    Maple binding with 3 color purfling
    52 mm nut
    bone nut and saddle
    Lacquer gloss finish

#4 Black Walnut - Built November 2018 $1400

3A cedar calibrated soundboard with modified Hauser fan bracing
    Upper bout sound port
    52 mm nut
    bone nut and saddle
    Ebony arm rest
    12 hole Pau Ferro bridge
    Gotoh tuners

#5 Pau Ferro - Built June 2019 $1300

3A spruce calibrated soundboard with modified Hauser fan bracing
    Upper bout sound port

Katalox fingerboard with evo gold oversize frets
    12 hole Pau Ferro bridge
    52 mm nut
    bone nut and saddle
    Gotoh tuners

User Info Menu

These guitars are such a deal! You rarely or never find a quality luthier-built classical guitar made in USA at these prices. Thanks for the listing 2bornot2bop.

User Info Menu

They're beautiful, B! Nuovo Classical/Futuro design. If they play well it is a steal since that's the price of a factory made Yamaha. Care to drop a name? Good playing . . . Marinero

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero View Post
    They're beautiful, B! Nuovo Classical/Futuro design. If they play well it is a steal since that's the price of a factory made Yamaha. Care to drop a name? Good playing . . . Marinero
    I agree, each is a beautiful instrument in its own right. As stated in the ad, anyone seriously interested in these guitars or interested in any future custom build can PM me directly for the luthier's contact information. Thank you for your interest.

I've created this listing as a courtesy to forum members. I take no profit from any guitar sold. I'm merely trying to assist anyone here interested in acquiring a great guitar at a bargain.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the time and collegial effort. If I didn’t have 2 perfectly wonderful luthier-built classicals, I’d be seriously interested in the walnut model.

Hope he does well with his instruments via the Del Camp classical forum.
    Robert Hill Long
    Ferndale California
    rhl.photography

Quote Originally Posted by rhl-ferndale View Post
    Thanks for the time and collegial effort. If I didn’t have 2 perfectly wonderful luthier-built classicals, I’d be seriously interested in the walnut model.

Hope he does well with his instruments via the Del Camp classical forum.
    RHL, during these times when many quality guitars are very expensive, classical guitars being no exception, I try to spread the word here about guitars I perceive to be excellent buys. I personally own one of this luthiers guitars. Thank you for your kind words.

User Info Menu

Mine (from this luthier) should arrive later this week. Very much looking forward to this guitar (not one of the guitars listed here). I'll post back here after I receive it.

User Info Menu

Please do as I want to pull the trigger on one of these beauty's.
    BTW How was yours constructed ? Tone woods?

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic16 View Post
    Mine (from this luthier) should arrive later this week. Very much looking forward to this guitar (not one of the guitars listed here). I'll post back here after I receive it.

User Info Menu

Wildcat, you should/could message 2bornot2bop and get contact info and ask him about the guitar he has already received.
    I'll write about my guitar when I receive it. Briefly it is AAA Englemann spruce top with modified Hauser bracing. He only makes 650mm scale. Elevated fingerboard. Hormigo back and sides. I can say it has been a pleasure to deal with this luthier.

Very kewl! That's what I'm talking about!

User Info Menu

The Hormigo #17 arrived late yesterday afternoon. It seems to me that a long distance journey can upset the equilibrium of a wooden acoustic guitar, but it is settling down now and beginning to sing. I'm far from an accomplished player but it is good to contemplate that this guitar will improve with age and playing. The body shape of the guitar tapers at the top and back shoulders and also slightly to the sides (it does not have a completely flat back). This was a surprise to me. Look at the Chechen guitar above. The sides are Hormigo laminated with Cedar to reduce overall weight and reduce the possibility of side cracking if the guitar is not humidified and allowed to dry out. The top is solid AAA Englemann Spruce and back is solid Hormigo. I replaced the EJ45 strings with Hannabach 815 trebles MT and Savarez Cantiga Premium basses NT. You could have a custom built rather that one of those shown above at a very reasonable price. How does it compare with a guitar that costs 4X or 7X more? I don't know as I've never seen or played such an instrument but for the $, this is a lot of guitar.

American Built Custom Classical Guitars (5)-hormigo-17-full-front-jpgAmerican Built Custom Classical Guitars (5)-hormigo-17-full-back-jpg

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitars. I just don't understand what is the point of not mentioning the name of the luthier who made it? If you are trying to sell multiple guitars, let alone for over 1k each, you should allow buyer to conduct their own research and read reviews beforehand. It is also beneficial for the luthier as it is pretty much the best advertising you can get.... Just my opinion...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Shay; 09-16-2019 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shay View Post
    Beautiful guitars. I just don't understand what is the point of not mentioning the name of the luthier who made it? If you are trying to sell multiple guitars, let alone for over 1k each, you should allow buyer to conduct their own research and read reviews beforehand. It is also beneficial for the luthier as it is pretty much the best advertising you can get.... Just my opinion...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Under normal circumstances you make a valid argument.

However, it was my choice, not the builders, not to list the builders name. Why? Not one person here would recognize it. He's a retired bloke, and building guitars is a passion.

There is no, as you put it, research to be had. The builder has built some 20 or 30 or more guitars.

The man obviously knows what he's doing when it comes to building a quality instrument. I'd say from the looks of them, these are easily $3-4k guitars. The supplied photos were his. My guitar came out of this batch of guitars. The photos vastly undersell the guitars, and frankly, don't do the build quality justice.

Anything else?
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 09-18-2019 at 10:27 AM.

The Hormigo #17 arrived late yesterday afternoon. It seems to me that a long distance journey can upset the equilibrium of a wooden acoustic guitar, but it is settling down now and beginning to sing. I'm far from an accomplished player but it is good to contemplate that this guitar will improve with age and playing. The body shape of the guitar tapers at the top and back shoulders and also slightly to the sides (it does not have a completely flat back). This was a surprise to me. Look at the Chechen guitar above. The sides are Hormigo laminated with Cedar to reduce overall weight and reduce the possibility of side cracking if the guitar is not humidified and allowed to dry out. The top is solid AAA Englemann Spruce and back is solid Hormigo. I replaced the EJ45 strings with Hannabach 815 trebles MT and Savarez Cantiga Premium basses NT. You could have a custom built rather that one of those shown above at a very reasonable price. How does it compare with a guitar that costs 4X or 7X more? I don't know as I've never seen or played such an instrument but for the $, this is a lot of guitar.

American Built Custom Classical Guitars (5)-hormigo-17-full-front-jpgAmerican Built Custom Classical Guitars (5)-hormigo-17-full-back-jpg
    Very nice! Remember that yours is a brand new guitar. It will take years of playing before its actual voice is discovered. In the meantime...Enjoy!

To the benefit of those who cannot tell the quality of these instruments from photos, how'd you describe the guitar as you received it? Finish quality? Workmanship, etc?

User Info Menu

Very nice! Remember that yours is a brand new guitar. It will take years of playing before its actual voice is discovered. In the meantime...Enjoy!

Thanks 2bornot2bop! If you had not shared about these guitars I would not have known. Brand new indeed. Still has the nitro smell. And that is a delightful thought that the guitar will develop as it is played through time. I compared it to four nylon string guitars that reside here. They are vintage guitars from 1940, 1953, 1966, 1967. 645mm - 650mm. Brazilian Rosewood, Mahogany (2), Curly Maple and all with spruce tops.They are all different in tone. I like each one and played them for hours today trying to figure out what to sell. It's hard but I think I've got it figured out. And the two to be listed somewhere are not necessarily the lower end. But I could use the space and the $ and want to devote more time to fewer guitars.

The Hormigo that I just received was packed very well. It came with an arched top TKL classical guitar case which fits the guitar nicely. And a DVD containing photos of the build process. I asked that the saddle be lowered and he accomodated me with a new one & included the original, too. The finish quality is flawless as far as I can tell. The inside of the guitar is very clean. No glue globs. The lining that meets the back/top and sides is solid (not kerfed). See this interesting link for acoustic guitar lining info Guitar Linings Part 2 - Physics + - The Art Of Lutherie . He has employed a Spanish heel. The Spanish Heel: What It Is and Its Benefits – Guitar From Spain . I really like the look of the Hormigo and the handmade rosette looks much better than in the small photo that I uploaded. I'm so glad that he favors the EVO jumbo frets! I do too. In fact, 3 of the 4 nylon string guitars here (not including this) have had the EVO jumbo frets installed.

As you mentioned, building guitars is his passion and I think he will only get better at it and I think the quality is very good now. But as I said, I'm not comparing this to a $10K and greater guitar. I know nothing of that level.

User Info Menu

There's been no mention of the neck profile of the guitar in post #15 above. The profile is a shallow D shape. 52mm nut. Very comfortable to play. As I mentioned, I've got four other nylon string guitars and this guitar is very satisfying to play. In fact, I've got thoseFS: Vintage Nylon String Guitars - REDUCED -Martin (2), Kalamazoo Epiphone EC30 & EC300 Madrid & Barcelona - The Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum four guitars listed for sale at the link shown here. Perhaps I can reduce the number of instruments and play fewer more.
    Richard

Yes, these guitars are so easy to play! But I'm beginning to think there aren't a lot of nylon players on this forum, otherwise they'd be all over these FS listings.

User Info Menu

Love nylon, no cash
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

I have gone back and forth on a nylon guitar over the years.. The build quality, the details not typical found but make sense and pricing makes this a no brainer. Plus I consider them to be functional works of art.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    Yes, these guitars are so easy to play! But I'm beginning to think there aren't a lot of nylon players on this forum, otherwise they'd be all over these FS listings.

User Info Menu

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Love nylon, no cash

User Info Menu

I sold the two Martin nylon string guitars a couple of days ago. Thought I would keep them for a long time, but the guitar in post #15 rules even though it is new and might not have the vintage Martin mojeaux. My Kalamazoo Epiphone EC30 is a loud, brash, parallel braced nylon string guitar with a 4" sound hole in original, undamaged condition. Found it on ebay. If you can find one for cheap, you might like it for a change of pace. Like the Gibson C-0 which Miles Okazaki plays. Yes. But when you can play like Miles Okazaki . . .

A beautiful guitar you have there Eclectic16! Enjoy, and play it!

User Info Menu

I wonder if he would make a 7 string for me. I have been looking for one and there aren't a ton of options out there

User Info Menu

I don't know the answer to whether he would build a 7 string, but it won't cost anything to ask him.

Sorry, but the builder says no to a 7 string at this time.

bump

User Info Menu

That is one stunningly, beautiful bevy!

I'm thinking I need replace my dear, old girl. Is it bad to desire another man's guitar?